DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My drone exploded in mid air

Status
Not open for further replies.
LI chemistry batteries of this type are known to fail catastrophically and deflagrate during a thermal runaway event releasing large amounts of gasses and thermal energy (the speed of the reaction is just shy of qualifying as an actual explosion). When the batteries are confined (as in being inserted into another device like your mini 3) this could cause the release to generate enough pressure to cause it to also catastrophically fail.

Given that the battery is housed in the center of the case, a failure like this could result in what you describe.

Key data to examine would include any remains of the battery components (case and contents) for visual cues as to the specific mode and point of failure, as well as the lot numbers, serial numbers, and date of manufacture to identify the battery origin (DJI like many manufacturers purchases battery sub components from many other suppliers)..

Some additional questions I would pose to you:

How many times had the batteries been recharged (use cycles)?
Were you using a DJI supplied charger and power supply or an after market charger?
Did the batteries show any visual sign of deformity or discoloration as you inserted into the drone?
Had the battery used in the event been dropped or subject to any physical stressors or impacts?

I would be very interested in seeing any photos pf the failed battery components presuming you are able to recover them, as well as having the opportunity to examine them myself.

Please contact me directly should you have any additional information.

Sorry for the loss of your aircraft, but thanks for sharing this important info.

Reactions: Xi Zhou
Show the gimble you retrieved and look at the front of the leg in the photo. It looks just like the mini I have and that front arm has mavic mini printed on it.

Reactions: Torque and RodPad
Attached are photos just taken of
a screen capture of a mini 3 pro dismantling video,
a Mini 2 shell & mavic Mini shell,
a cropped version of your photo.
As should be clearly apparent the drone in your photo is NOT a mini 3 pro.

The front left arm of the wreckage appears to be there, if so it will display the drone's model on its front face.

Attachments

• mini 3 shell.png
    mini 3 shell.png
    751.9 KB · Views: 67
  • mini 2 shell vs Mavic Mini shell 2.jpg
    mini 2 shell vs Mavic Mini shell 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • mini 2 shell vs Mavic Mini shell.jpg
    mini 2 shell vs Mavic Mini shell.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • wreckage photo cropped.jpg
    wreckage photo cropped.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 71
  • rear mini 2 and mavic mini bat compartments.jpg
    rear mini 2 and mavic mini bat compartments.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806_091108_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_091108_Chrome.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: RodPad
it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that the picture is not that of a Mini 3 pro
the arms are not those of a Mini 3 pro to start with ,apart from anything else,
my guess is that the unfortunate drone in the picture was on the ground at the time ,and sadly got destroyed by being run over by a vehicle of some sort ,having witnessed a lipo fire in a drone ,it does not cause that much damage ,nor does hitting the ground from 350ft high with a drone that only weighs 250g

Last edited:
got destroyed by being run over by a vehicle of some sort
Seems more likely. Nothing in that photo looks like the result of a fire/explosion.

If there’s evidence that the drone was hit by gunfire (which is what I immediately thought, too) that would be a federal offense, wouldn’t it? Turn the evidence over to the F.B.I. Just an investigation with no resolution would shake up the neighborhood.

Hey Guy, this got out of control way faster than I thought. :rolleyes:
The logs will really clear up this drama. :)
Nobody is saying your lying, but texting can appear that way.:rolleyes:
These guys know these drones.
DJI, is going to want some data also.

I don't give a crap of what your saying you were flying and what you found.
You won't believe what they pull from the data.

My Last Call👌

Rod.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that the picture is not that of a Mini 3 pro
the arms are not those of a Mini 3 pro to start with ,apart from anything else,
my guess is that the unfortunate drone in the picture was on the ground at the time ,and sadly got destroyed by being run over by a vehicle of some sort ,having witnessed a lipo fire in a drone ,it does not cause that much damage ,nor does hitting the ground from 350ft high with a drone that only ways 250g
Surely I haven’t found the remains of another drone though. I don’t know anyone else who flies in my area

Hey Guy, this got out of control way faster than I thought. :rolleyes:
The logs will really clear up this drama. :)
Nobody is saying your lying, but texting can appear that way.:rolleyes:
These guys know these drones.
DJI, is going to want some data also.

I don't give a crap of what your saying you were flying and what you found.
You won't believe what they pull from the data.

My Last Call👌

Rod.
Hello please don’t private message me unless you’re that expert who already has. I’m trying to sort out the .txt

Surely I haven’t found the remains of another drone though. I don’t know anyone else who flies in my area
well you can take my word for it or not ,that pic is not a Mini 3 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_