DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I shot down my drone!

My first toy drone got stuck high in a white pine. I tried the throwing tennis ball approach, and couldn’t get close to the height I needed. Then I tried hitting the tennis ball with a racket, and I had a few shots that came close, but it lookEd like it would take a month to do it. (Also, I could only find one tennis ball at home, so I would hit it, miss, then have to walk into the backyard find the tennis ball, and then come back and start again, so that was really never going to work.) Finally, I taped some fishing line to the tennis ball, and then whacked it over the branch that held the drone, and then was able to grab the line and shake the branch violently enough that the drone fell down. (All those years at an engineering school we’re not for naught!)
I found the crossbow trick, having to get a bear bag line up into trees while camping in New Mexico!

Personally I don't see how it's anybody's drone except for the person holding it. You paid for a service (State Farm), and you claimed on that service. End of story as far as State Farm. I am quite sure you told your adjuster the situation, and it fell within guidelines for a payout. At no time after did said company try and retrieve "their" property and after a year I would think any reasonable ownership of that property is long gone by legal statutes.

You are no different now than any other Tom, **** or Harry that walked buy and saw it and "picked" it up. As for what to do with it? Open it up as said, have a look around for moisture or obvious issues. Pop in a battery, check for powerup. If it powers up and binds and all looks good at that point, replace the darn arm as mentioned. Fly it and don't look back, perhaps tether a leg for first couple of flights. I would however put a good 10 hours or so of flight time on it before I would trust it, so keep it in tight and away from others harm till you give it a good shake down...Just my thoughts. :)

Reactions: Vagrant and Limey
This is a method we used once to retrieve a radio controlled airplane out of a high tree. First we had to rent a bow and some arrows (another story) Try shooting an arrow with a line attached over the branch. Grab both ends of the line. You can then shake it by pulling on both ends of the line. This usually works unless it's really snarled in the branches. Oh yeah. I wouldn't try flying it after all that time either.

If you were paid out by State Farm, technically the drone belongs to them now. I suggest asking your agent what they want done with it.

They do not not want it. I had the same situation, a friend had his 300 Winchester stolen from his house in 1974 and insurance paid for it, in 2015 it was found as a person tried to sell it to a gun store and they ran the numbers and found it was stolen. Called insurance to see what they wanted to do with it, they said give it back to the owner. I took my friend to the police station to retrieve it.

They do not not want it. I had the same situation, a friend had his 300 Winchester stolen from his house in 1974 and insurance paid for it, in 2015 it was found as a person tried to sell it to a gun store and they ran the numbers and found it was stolen. Called insurance to see what they wanted to do with it, they said give it back to the owner. I took my friend to the police station to retrieve it.

You still need to ask them, as it's legally their property after they pay out the claim. The risk for failing to clear it with them is being accused of insurance fraud.

View attachment 107970View attachment 107971View attachment 107972

I thought that might get some views. And it is true. But there is more to the story, and I am looking for advice, and predictions. First of all, it was MY Drone!. And second of all, it was stuck high in a tree. It was the only way to break it loose. I won't go into all the details, but the eventual rescue, which took place a year after the incident, involved a .22 rifle, a bucket loader, a long pole saw, and me hoping I wasn't going to end up in a youtube video with millions of people thinking I was an idiot. (They wouldn't know me well enough from one video as to how big an idiot I might be.)

First lesson learned. No matter how stunning the sunrise, do not wake up in a new area and run out while half asleep and try to get some shots of that view.

I was visiting family in West Virginia, USA. They have an old farm on a hill in a very picturesque and tranquil area. The original part of the house was built in the 1780's, which is considered old in the US. I awoke the first morning to a stunning view of the valley below. I hurried in, grabbed my MPro, went to the front yard and took off. I was careful to take it up above the level of the tall trees. While looking forward from the house, I decided to back the drone up behind the house. I wanted the house in the foreground of this great view. What I didn't consider in my still waking brain was that there was an even taller ancient pine behind the house. Yep, the next thing I knew, I had backed my Pro into the tree. It tumbled slightly down, but was still very high up in a tree that would be dangerous to climb . ( Thank goodness, I had State Farm insurance, which paid without question.)

We tried shooting the branch which held the drone, and one of the "marksmen" was a bit agressive and hit the drone. It ended up with minor damage from a glancing shot at one leg, and needing a new prop due to a bullet going through one blade.

To make a long story short, we just returned to the scene of the crime, one year later. It had dropped by wind and weather effects, and was somewhat more available to rifle fire. A few well placed rounds finally took out the branch and with some other creative use of associated equipment, it returned "safely" to earth.

So, my question is what to do now. The damage to the leg seems minor, assuming wiring isn't affected. The prop change is a no brainer. But how should I go about trying to restart it after being exposed to a years worth of snow and rain? I am also curious as to whether people believe it will fly again. I have done no more than to remove the battery at this point. I am thinking to let it dry out good, though it showed no real sign of moisture, and the recent weather has been very dry. I think I will then put in a new battery and see how things go slowly, but, hopefully, surely. (I almost sold all of my associated equipment, but now I am glad I held on to it.)

Anyone have opinions on whether it will fly again, or recommendations on how to go about the recovery process. I will keep you all posted.
It sounds exactly what I would have done, including the excitement of capturing a nice scene. Then, of course the feeling of being left in the lurch as your prize dangles in the tree.
I would perform the obvious damage repairs, start with a fresh battery, choose obstacle free area and fly that puppy if the electronics check out.
Good luck and thanks for the morning chuckle.

I use a rod n reel to sling a weight up then jerk it loose or use the fishing line to drag a heavier line up.

If you were paid out by State Farm, technically the drone belongs to them now. I suggest asking your agent what they want done with it.
That would have been my post also. The drone does belong to the insurance company legally and it is not yours to repair or to play about with before asking the insurance company what they want doing with the drone. They may well say do what you want but you do need to ask them first. In your policy or payout documentation it will say should the property be recovered you need to inform us.

Reactions: dawgpilot
4 days later and no follow up from Steve. It’s like a season end to a TV show and we have to wait till next season to find out.

4 days later and no follow up from Steve. It’s like a season end to a TV show and we have to wait till next season to find out.

Ok, here is the big season finale. Or should I make it a cliff hanger??
I put in a newly charged up battery, and it started up. Everything looked good on the controller. GPS mode engaged. Camera came on line.
But it would not start rotors manually, or in auto takeoff. ESC error. Status indicator solid red.
End of show.

But do we go to Thunder Drones and see if we can get extended for another season. That is the question as our aging drone slumps to his corner in obvious pain. Is this the end? Or will he yet again go in search of giant pines?

Ready for suggestions, and estimates of how it would go with Thunder Drones.

Personally I don't see how it's anybody's drone except for the person holding it. You paid for a service (State Farm), and you claimed on that service. End of story as far as State Farm. I am quite sure you told your adjuster the situation, and it fell within guidelines for a payout. At no time after did said company try and retrieve "their" property and after a year I would think any reasonable ownership of that property is long gone by legal statutes.

You are no different now than any other Tom, **** or Harry that walked buy and saw it and "picked" it up. As for what to do with it? Open it up as said, have a look around for moisture or obvious issues. Pop in a battery, check for powerup. If it powers up and binds and all looks good at that point, replace the darn arm as mentioned. Fly it and don't look back, perhaps tether a leg for first couple of flights. I would however put a good 10 hours or so of flight time on it before I would trust it, so keep it in tight and away from others harm till you give it a good shake down...Just my thoughts. :)

Unfortunately, I am unable to do much to repair. I am 70, and have a medical condition which causes my hands to shake. It is called Essential Tremor. Slowly getting worse with age. (Think Katherine Hepburn) in her later years. Not as bad as hers, yet. But tearing into something like the Mavic would be a non starter. :(

Because the policy agreement states otherwise. When you buy insurance, you are agreeing to the terms of the contract. That contract typically transfers title to property that you are paid a claim on to the insurer.

As for getting things up and down from trees, the easiest method that I have found is the use of a crossbow with fishing line firmly attetched to the bolt.
a crossbow is very accurate and can be fired above and behind the branch or item that the drone is attached to. Once in place a good tug will work, however if your bolt gets stuck it’s a $5 replacement or you can fire multiple times at no cost!,!
Try it it’s very simple and 99% fool proof
Watch for people walking their dog beyond the tree ...... ? ?

You pointed a .22 rifle up in the air and pulled the trigger more than once.
Do you know that a .22 can travel over a mile with a trajectory like that!
Not the safest or smartest thing to do.
Glad I don't live near you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair