DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
Found exactly the same - I have an iPad which I use exclusively with my Mavic.

I recenly bought a refurbished iPad Air 2 without the GPS feature and it works great. I've only had it a month or so, but to me it's just the right size, nice and bright, and seems solid so far. Marc

After a couple of days of messing with the settings and chatting with tracfone, I've finally been able to get cellular data on the iPad. Makes updating the maps on the go alot easier.

I could use a bigger screen and my iPhone sometimes switches brightness even though all settings are for it not to. I think a protection from heat. But don’t you need to add Wi-Fi service for maps etc? If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection what doesn’t work?

Now this is a fun thread, Samsung vs Apple. I have a galaxy S7 edge which works flawlessly with my MA. I also have a Kindle HDX 8.9 which after many attempts can not make it work with the MA. So, I bought a Samsung Tab 4 7" reading about the Lollipop system being a relative free from other stuff and works well with DJI go 4. In the mean time I come across an iPad mini 4 1st gen, for the same price and decide to buy that. I now have both coming but have a feeling the iPad will win. based on all the comments in this forum. The Samsung gets here tomorrow, the iPad gets here the 24th, I sure wish they would get here together.

Reactions: putz
I could use a bigger screen and my iPhone sometimes switches brightness even though all settings are for it not to. I think a protection from heat. But don’t you need to add Wi-Fi service for maps etc? If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection what doesn’t work?
You can save maps offline to use, setup a Hotspot or use a tablet with cellular data.

I've been a PC and Android guy from the start for all the reasons already stated. I finally learned my way around the Apple ecosystem dealing with my wife's MacBook Pro. Although I still find it hard to use if you don't want things just as Apple wishes, the hardware is first class. However, Apple never has nor never will play well with others.

OK, that all said, I finally did buy an iPad mini 4 to use with my MP. Disconnects are now a thing of the past, and updates never seem to cause any glitches. Like it or not, that is the reality for one simple reason. It's much easier to program for Apple devices. That's not to say it's a better operating system, but unlike the Android where every manufacturer tends to customize the operating system, Apple is Apple and there's no variation. BTW, Samsung is among the worse as far as messing with the OS.

I know the ipad and iPhone are boring but they do seem to work nicely with dji [emoji5]

So for the guys that are using a dedicated device, what are you doing for service? Updating maps offline? Mobile Hotspot? Or subscribing to monthly service? I've been looking at data only plans or possibly adding it to my current phone plan. I just don't know if it would be worth the cost if I would just simply keep my offline maps up to date.

I do Mobile hotspot with my iPad when flying. It automatically connects to my phone.

Ok, I will bite and post on this thread. I have: Mavic Pro, Mavic Platinum, Autel EVO and Parrot Anafi.
Don't have an Apple device, so can't comment on if it is indeed better or not. I have used, or still use: Amazon Fire HD 10, 8, 7, Samsung S8 and now S9+. I also have the Wunderphone and that has a bright screen as well, and runs GO just fine. I use that as my fast go to device, if I don't want to use a tablet or the S9+, or if it is more convenient.
The Amazon Fire tablets, yes, even the ultra cheap Fire 7 run DJI GO 4.1.22 just fine. The Fire tablets are not bright in sunlight, so you will need a sunshade.
Samsung S8 and S9. Did you know that if you leave the display on auto brightness, it will go to over 1000nits in direct sunlight? No sunshade necessary, and no overpriced DJI crystal sky screen to buy. You must leave it on auto though, and turn off power saving.

The biggest reason to stick with Android? You can run a patched GO and be totally free from DJI. Love their drones, hate their corporate policies. You didn't know you can patch your drone, AND your GO to be free? No limits. No NFZ. No altitude restrictions. You are responsible for flying your drone. Thats why I will stick with Android. The S9+ has plenty of power to run GO without a hitch, and the screen on the S9+ is a beautiful thing.

For the EVO and the Anafi....I have found that the tablets don't work as well with these. I don't know if it is the Android version, or they may be a little under powered. Not sure. The Wunderphone will work fine on the Anafi, but the Huawei will not update the firmware on the Anafi for some reason. For these drones, I use the S9+ only, and it works flawlessly.

Using a tablet for the bigger screen is great, and have done this for a while now. Until you get tired of holding it. Then you go back to a phone size device like the S9+, and find that it is so much lighter to use and hold.

Reactions: Clinton1
Except it isn't a fact at all.
It;'s just a very pervasive myth that is propagated and perpetuated by forum posts like: apple stuff just works better with DJI. That is a known and proven fact.
It's past time to stop pushing that line. It's not true.

The Android tablets I fly with run the app flawlessly.
Perhaps an iPad could run the app as well, but it would be impossible for an Apple device to work any better.
Which tablet? I have the Tab S SM-T700 and have the occasional video glitch (using flight mode).

" you can buy ANY apple device (as long as it is fairly recent) And download DJI Go 4 then plug and play. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them."

Although 2015 is fairly recent, I suppose it could be considered ancient tech.
My iPad Mini 4 freezes when the ambient temps are above 90ºF. In the shade, and was a dedicated device for the DJI GO4 app. "CPU Overload" message comes up. Seems to be a known issue with them. It's too bad because the size of the Mini is perfect for the Mavic.

I ended getting a 2018 iPad and it works perfectly although the thing is friggin gigantic and a pain to fly with. The processor has no problem with the Go 4 app, for now.

I'm not a fan boy of either camp although Apple's business practices tick me off. I use a Macbook Pro because Mac OS is just so much more reliable for me. Much less buggy than Windows. On the other hand, I abhor iOS and use Samsung phones. Crimey, you can't even place the icons where you want them on iOS.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
Yes; Apple does own interest in DJI and the DJI Drones software and build is more compariable to an Apple product and works better with them. In the end, you did exactly what Apple expected you to do, which is why they own interest in the DJI projects.

When the Go 4 App gets updated, just look at what OS is the first to see the update and you’ll probably get a pretty good idea as to which one is preferred by DJI.

Do you use hotspot or have cellular data connection?

Likewise, I too was determined to rid my life of Apple products (phones, etc), but when my new Android phone kept crashing while I was flying my Mavic, and after numerous posts online for remedies, AND DJI suggesting that it was the aircraft and must send it back to them to fix, I decided to try my try an Ipad. Unfortunately, while my wife had an older one which would not upgrade any longer and didn't work for this job, I went out and bought an Ipad Mini and cable. Thinking it was worth a try and also of the believe that I could return the Ipad if it too had problems, I decided on this course. Wa La - it worked from the second I plugged it in with the app. It was in fact my Android and its my guess, that the DJI Go app is not compatible with Android. In fact, I have since heard from numerous other Mavic owners confirming it. Now I used the Ipad for about a year and absolutely not one crash. So there you have it. DJI get your act together and fix the problem. My thanks if you have done so in the last year.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman