DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I've made a llittle progress!

Uncle Hoser

Reactions
Back story: I got my MA2 in December, and tried to practice flying when I could. Working 40 hours+ and waiting for a day when the wind calmed down enough to fly didn't offer a world of opportunity, but I took advantage of the opportunities I had! The Western AZ desert in the Colorado River valley is known for it's wind, and also for it's unique beauty. Since my first priority was flying (I've never really been a photography/videography type...just like stuff that flies) I concentrated on controlling the aircraft above all else. Of course, a lot of that was curtailed when summer showed up with 120 degree temps...neither me or the drone was too happy out in that weather! Anyhow, one nice, calm Sunday morning in May I decided to muster my courage and venture out in search of some of that "unique beauty", just about 1 mile from home!

The Colorado River from the air is a truly beautiful sight, and the best view in town is from American Legion Post 87, which overlooks the shoreline in the RiverBend area of Bullhead City. It is also the home of the Arizona Veterans' Memorial which, even if you're not a veteran (God bless all of them!), is quite an inspiring and moving sight. I managed to capture about 15 minutes of video there, most of which was jockeying around trying to get some good views. Then -- enter the specter of *video editing software*! I spent quite a bit of time just getting a handle on the basics of that stuff, and it's complex, to say the least! After retiring last month I finally felt comfortable enough to try a bit of editing, and had enough free time to do it.

At this point, I'll humbly submit my very first attempt at drone videography! Remember, I'm a noob! Be gentle with me! ;) And, hopefully, the video link posts up here OK...I'm not really too experienced in that aspect of all this either!

Cheers...
Dave

Not bad for a first try.
I know you're not into the photo/video aspect of it so much. So think of the recording as documenting how well you can fly. In taking that to the next level, start to incorporate multiple axis movements at the same time. Perhaps start incorporating gimbal movement to stay on a point of interest as you move forward. Capture some footage flying sideways- or even crabbing (though the MA2 camera can rotate). Or perhaps flying backwards while ascending or vice versa. In other words challenge yourself to mix it up. It's too easy to get bored with it and stop flying if things stay one dimensional.

Thanks! It's all about "practice, practice, practice"! I'm hoping to get more of that when it cools down a bit. 109* right now, with a dewpoint of 63*. Height of the monsoon season sux!

For the 'first' one - pretty good. Looks like a great area to fly.

Here's the "suggestion" section -
Take look around your flight area. Look @ stuff that can be of interest in showing off your area. (Example: (personal) those flags you flew over could be part of showing off the area. As @vindibona1 suggested, fly sideways @ flag level adding a yaw in as you go around the flag placement.
Find a music track to go along with the flight. There places to get music free or by paid subscription.

Whatever you do - keep flying, keep recording, and keep making videos. It will be how you get really good @ all of it.

You sounded as though you were apologizing for what you expected to be perceived as a lousy video...on the contrary ...you did a very good job for the first shot...I have been at it for a few months now...and admittedly....mine are not as good as that...although I did figure out the music background part...you do want to take into consideration the high temp...from what I have read, it can cause the drone battery and motors to overheat...out of curiosity ...why do you use vimeo?

I’m very impressed that your first video uses short clips, which moves it along well and keep viewers engaged.

With that skill alone, you have already slingshotted yourself to the top half of the field.

For the 'first' one - pretty good. Looks like a great area to fly.

Here's the "suggestion" section -
Take look around your flight area. Look @ stuff that can be of interest in showing off your area. (Example: (personal) those flags you flew over could be part of showing off the area. As @vindibona1 suggested, fly sideways @ flag level adding a yaw in as you go around the flag placement.
Find a music track to go along with the flight. There places to get music free or by paid subscription.

Whatever you do - keep flying, keep recording, and keep making videos. It will be how you get really good @ all of it.
Thanks! The suggestions are great! I'm looking forward to getting more flight time in when it cools off a bit.

Reactions: Prop Wash
You sounded as though you were apologizing for what you expected to be perceived as a lousy video...on the contrary ...you did a very good job for the first shot...I have been at it for a few months now...and admittedly....mine are not as good as that...although I did figure out the music background part...you do want to take into consideration the high temp...from what I have read, it can cause the drone battery and motors to overheat...out of curiosity ...why do you use vimeo?
No apologies, really. Just wanted critique from the more experienced flyers here! Those clips were recorded back in early May, before the temps got so brutal, and I'd be very wary of flying much in the heat right now. I did fly over my neighbor's garage construction site a few times over the past 3-4 days, but only in morning or evening "cooler" times, and then only for a few minutes each.

To answer your question, I just did a quick search for video hosting services and Vimeo was the first one to pop up. It took mere seconds to sign up and use, so I just rolled with it! I'm sure there are others, and probably better ones, just haven't discovered them yet.
I’m very impressed that your first video uses short clips, which moves it along well and keep viewers engaged.

With that skill alone, you have already slingshotted yourself to the top half of the field.
Much appreciated, sir. I'll be practicing more!

To answer your question, I just did a quick search for video hosting services and Vimeo was the first one to pop up. It took mere seconds to sign up and use, so I just rolled with it! I'm sure there are others, and probably better ones, just haven't discovered them yet.
YouTube has more viewers. Vimeo has better quality video (higher bitrate & less compression)

Back story: I got my MA2 in December, and tried to practice flying when I could. Working 40 hours+ and waiting for a day when the wind calmed down enough to fly didn't offer a world of opportunity, but I took advantage of the opportunities I had! The Western AZ desert in the Colorado River valley is known for it's wind, and also for it's unique beauty. Since my first priority was flying (I've never really been a photography/videography type...just like stuff that flies) I concentrated on controlling the aircraft above all else. Of course, a lot of that was curtailed when summer showed up with 120 degree temps...neither me or the drone was too happy out in that weather! Anyhow, one nice, calm Sunday morning in May I decided to muster my courage and venture out in search of some of that "unique beauty", just about 1 mile from home!

The Colorado River from the air is a truly beautiful sight, and the best view in town is from American Legion Post 87, which overlooks the shoreline in the RiverBend area of Bullhead City. It is also the home of the Arizona Veterans' Memorial which, even if you're not a veteran (God bless all of them!), is quite an inspiring and moving sight. I managed to capture about 15 minutes of video there, most of which was jockeying around trying to get some good views. Then -- enter the specter of *video editing software*! I spent quite a bit of time just getting a handle on the basics of that stuff, and it's complex, to say the least! After retiring last month I finally felt comfortable enough to try a bit of editing, and had enough free time to do it.

At this point, I'll humbly submit my very first attempt at drone videography! Remember, I'm a noob! Be gentle with me! ;) And, hopefully, the video link posts up here OK...I'm not really too experienced in that aspect of all this either!

Cheers...
Dave

Welcome to the world of drone flying, photography and video editing....all at once! Your video was not bad for a first timer. Immediately, I noticed no music track and that it was filmed or at least out-putted as 1080p, since I noticed it was not really sharp and the colors are a bit drab. Most video editors allow outputs of 4K.

As with all endeavors, time and practice makes perfect. For flying scenes I would slow it down a bit- you flew really fast over that memorial- I would have liked to see a bit more of it. Your clip length was pretty good- I like to stay with 3-5 seconds unless you are telling a story- e.g.: following a shoreline or canyon, or falls.

Almost any editing program allows you to drag in a music track. After you learn to do that, you'll then have to graduate to timing of the music track to the beat. I also like to mix up my videos with ground level stills, videos from my Osmo gimbal or Pocket. The fun never ends so keep working at it, enjoy your retirement ( I've been retired from medicine since 2006), and enjoy this forum. It's a great group of helpful and knowledgeable people.

The best tip I can give you is to use YouTube liberally- it answers most of my questions.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the world of drone flying, photography and video editing....all at once! Your video was not bad for a first timer. Immediately, I noticed no music track and that it was filmed or at least out-putted as 1080p, since I noticed it was not really sharp and the colors are a bit drab. Most video editors allow outputs of 4K.

As with all endeavors, time and practice makes perfect. For flying scenes I would slow it down a bit- you flew really fast over that memorial- I would have liked to see a bit more of it. Your clip length was pretty good- I like to stay with 3-5 seconds unless you are telling a story- e.g.: following a shoreline or canyon, or falls.

Almost any editing program allows you to drag in a music track. After you learn to do that, you'll then have to graduate to timing of the music track to the beat. I also like to mix up my videos with ground level stills, videos from my Osmo gimbal or Pocket. The fun never ends so keep working at it, enjoy your retirement ( I've been retired from medicine since 2006), and enjoy this forum. It's a great group of helpful and knowledgeable people.

The best tip I can give you is to use YouTube liberally- it answers most of my questions.

Dale
Miami
Thanks, Dale...I really appreciate the guidance.

I noticed some of the same things you did when I viewed the footage, particularly the speed-of-flight aspect. I probably was just a bit nervous and/or rushed, being an inexperienced guy flying over water (I'm deathly afraid of causing a drone-drowning!) I can see where a bit more "lingering" overhead would have been more representative of the subject. (Note to self: Practice some more!)

This was my first attempt at editing, and I didn't pay close attention to how the final edit was rendered...I was only trying to get a handle on cutting/basic dissolves, etc. I'm still learning a lot about video formatting, as well as frame rates, shutter speeds, aperture, bla-bla-bla when capturing the raw footage, and that will take practice, too! You are correct that there is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here, and the folks are very willing to share. I'm impressed.

I'll be pestering the group again, I'm sure. Until then, I thank you all! Anxiously awaiting cooler weather in the desert...

Dave

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Thanks, Dale...I really appreciate the guidance.

I noticed some of the same things you did when I viewed the footage, particularly the speed-of-flight aspect. I probably was just a bit nervous and/or rushed, being an inexperienced guy flying over water (I'm deathly afraid of causing a drone-drowning!) I can see where a bit more "lingering" overhead would have been more representative of the subject. (Note to self: Practice some more!)

This was my first attempt at editing, and I didn't pay close attention to how the final edit was rendered...I was only trying to get a handle on cutting/basic dissolves, etc. I'm still learning a lot about video formatting, as well as frame rates, shutter speeds, aperture, bla-bla-bla when capturing the raw footage, and that will take practice, too! You are correct that there is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here, and the folks are very willing to share. I'm impressed.

I'll be pestering the group again, I'm sure. Until then, I thank you all! Anxiously awaiting cooler weather in the desert...

Dave
Sorry to belabor the point but admittedly I had no idea about how to adjust different frame rates, especially if using more than one device as I do(Osmo Action, Osmo Mobile, Osmo Pocket, iPhone at 4K) . I do not know what video editor you are using but I would encourage you to watch a few YouTubes about frame rates, sequences, etc. My favorite ones for Premiere MattJohnson. Please go to You Tube and put the following terminate the search box
Mix - Matt WhoisMatt Johnson

Dale

Reactions: MARK (LI)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming