DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want a tracker like this

hammick

Reactions
GPS tracker for model aircraft and drones - Optimal Tracking

I will be flying a lot in a remote mountain area that only has Verizon coverage and many areas where my Mavic could get lost have no coverage (low areas, drainages, cliff faces, etc).

Not sure if this tracker actually transmits the GPS coordinates to the receiver but it certainly looks easier to use than the Marco Polo.

We need more radio signal based tracker options.

Reactions: Dw911
is 199 the whole kit?

I will be flying a lot in a remote mountain area that only has Verizon coverage and many areas where my Mavic could get lost have no coverage (low areas, drainages, cliff faces, etc).

Not sure if this tracker actually transmits the GPS coordinates to the receiver but it certainly looks easier to use than the Marco Polo.

What is the power source for the transmitter?

199 Euro for the receiver, 159 for the transmitter. Dedicated battery for 8 Euro.
Sound like a good deal, though I'm not sure I need it.

What's difficult about the Marco Polo? Especially if you're out of range of cell towers and other interference, the MP broadcasts on 900mhz. And it only starts broadcasting when the receiver opens and initializes.

If I can use it it's simple.........

Jake

What's difficult about the Marco Polo? Especially if you're out of range of cell towers and other interference, the MP broadcasts on 900mhz. And it only starts broadcasting when the receiver opens and initializes.

If I can use it it's simple.........

Jake

I must admit I've never used one. Just going off the YouTube videos. The more I research this it looks like my only option. Just trying to decide between the Advanced and Ultralight version for my MPP.

Reactions: BIGLUG24

I have the Marco Polo and have test it out 2 times and seem to work fine it dose work the best in open areas large buildings will
cause it to take longer to fine your drone. I have 2 transmitters for my drones and the reserver will work with up to 4 transmitters

Reactions: shoemaker
I must admit I've never used one. Just going off the YouTube videos. The more I research this it looks like my only option. Just trying to decide between the Advanced and Ultralight version for my MPP.
The ultralight version is not water proof I think that's the one I have I went with the weight and not water proof and price

I went with the waterproof one since the eureka website has it on sale until December 31st. The new receivers don't have the dog's head anymore - just a circle with range rings and the directional arrow - much cleaner.

413692099.jpg

I velcroed the bracket to the right side hull. The new transmitter has a concave back and the bracket is flat, allowing for more contact area. I just pull it off to fold and transport.

Jake

Reactions: BIGLUG24
I went with the waterproof one since the eureka website has it on sale until December 31st. The new receivers don't have the dog's head anymore - just a circle with range rings and the directional arrow - much cleaner.

413692099.jpg

I velcroed the bracket to the right side hull. The new transmitter has a concave back and the bracket is flat, allowing for more contact area. I just pull it off to fold and transport.

Jake

Thanks for the info Jake. Do you mind taking a couple close up pics of the transmitter removed and also of the mount? Does the waterproof case open up so the transmitter can be removed? I'm wondering if it's simply the Ultralight transmitter in a waterproof case.

How does it fly with the weight of the transmitter on one side? Do you notice any reduction in flight time?

413692099.jpg

Jake
Nice, I put mine on the right rear arm and it stay's on for transport and flying and I put on 1 wire tie for safety. it took a little bite to see that was a dog logo LOL I,m very happy the way it works

Reactions: lightbg
O.K. here goes....
Closeup mounted:
413692314.jpg

End shot showing USB port seal:
413692313.jpg

Closeup of seal partially opened:
413692312.jpg

Concave back of MP - the reason I use the bracket:
413692315.jpg

Sealed operation button and LED:
413692316.jpg

This case is molded and I can find no way to open it. The four prongs on the bracket fit snuggly into the lugs on the MP itself - it's not going to come loose.

At .8 oz. I don't think it has much of a bearing on flight times, although I moved my Flytron strobes to the other side arms to attempt to even out the balance, but the ship doesn't seem to notice the difference. Besides, my batteries aren't new, and with my arthritic thumbs I'm lucky I can fly for more than 15 minutes anyway.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Reactions: DCDronePilot
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the 2-pet tracker from Eureka for $284

Great customer service as they are swapping out the second tag for the Ultralight drone tag. Win Win for our pup and my Mavic.

What's the range on that Marco Polo?
I like my Trackimo but indeed I found myself in an area with no cellular which made it worthless there.

What's the range on that Marco Polo?
I like my Trackimo but indeed I found myself in an area with no cellular which made it worthless there.

Eureka states up to two miles in non-congested areas - (try to find one of those in New Jersey :)
I can't vouch for that kind of range, but my son took my tx (without the Mavic) and buried it in a leaf pile in his yard I started out about 1/2 mile away in the car and managed to locate it in 5 minutes.

Jake

Reactions: Brojon
I have been using the Marco Polo tag and finder for over a year. I nearly always fly where there is no cell phone coverage. Twice, so far, I have saved a Mavic from being lost forever. Once was in a forest where the Mavic landed, undamaged, in a tree about one mile away. I was able to locate the Mavic with the finder. This would have been impossible without the finder. The other time was just a few days ago. I was flying in an area with huge canyons, cliffs everywhere and the Mavic lost contact and instead of coming home, landed. For the last few minutes there was no video transmission to give me a clue where it was. A friend and I took the Marco Polo finder/locator and started walking. A signal of about 16% was picked up and we eventually found the Mavic by walking towards increasing signal strength and the arrow on the finder/locator indicating which way to walk. We found the Mavic on the very edge of a thousand foot cliff. Six more inches and it would have been destroyed trying to land in the canyon. We estimated that we walked 1/4 to 1/2 mile before finding the Mavic.

My point is that my $200 for the Marco Polo has twice saved $1,000 drones.

Reactions: Tomdog
I have been using the Marco Polo tag and finder for over a year. I nearly always fly where there is no cell phone coverage. Twice, so far, I have saved a Mavic from being lost forever. Once was in a forest where the Mavic landed, undamaged, in a tree about one mile away. I was able to locate the Mavic with the finder. This would have been impossible without the finder. The other time was just a few days ago. I was flying in an area with huge canyons, cliffs everywhere and the Mavic lost contact and instead of coming home, landed. For the last few minutes there was no video transmission to give me a clue where it was. A friend and I took the Marco Polo finder/locator and started walking. A signal of about 16% was picked up and we eventually found the Mavic by walking towards increasing signal strength and the arrow on the finder/locator indicating which way to walk. We found the Mavic on the very edge of a thousand foot cliff. Six more inches and it would have been destroyed trying to land in the canyon. We estimated that we walked 1/4 to 1/2 mile before finding the Mavic.

My point is that my $200 for the Marco Polo has twice saved $1,000 drones.

Wondering if you would of gotten within a couple of a hundred feet based on the last transmission of the GPS coordinates?

It would seem if DJI was smart enough they would separate the GPS onto another board with an internal LiPO in the event of a crash that would still allow it to do something similar like this

Reactions: lotteryman
It would seem if DJI was smart enough they would separate the GPS onto another board with an internal LiPO in the event of a crash that would still allow it to do something similar like this
dont the map allow tracking,assuming the mavic is still alive of course

Wondering if you would of gotten within a couple of a hundred feet based on the last transmission of the GPS coordinates?
Maybe, but in that wild area we would have likely spent a lot of time walking back and forth to locate the bird. Since transmission had stopped, even GPS data would have been out of date as far as the location of the bird was concerned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat