DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want to bring my mavic to trip in Canada and USA. Can I do it? What is the procedure?

Orenre

Reactions
We are flying to USA and Canada this summer.
We want to bring our mavic for this beautiful trip.
I looked for information and It got me confused.
I registered the drone on the American website, do I need to do it for Canada too?

I read that the registration number in not enough, you need to take a test at the aviation authority. Is it correct ?

I also read that we cannot fly our drone in any national park. Is it for real?

I will be happy if someone could explain

Thanks Oren.

I read that the registration number in not enough, you need to take a test at the aviation authority. Is it correct ?
For the US, you just need to register under Section 336 here. There is no test when flying as hobbyist.

Canada has THESE regs until June 1, after which they will have THESE. Stay out of US National Park Lands, and many State Parks as well, although technically you can take off or land OFF of the lands and fly over. Only the FAA regulates actual airspace. Local jurisdictions can regulate take off or landing sites.

You cannot fly in any National Parks in Canada, if you do it is a 550.00 dollar and up fine.

Mostly the same restrictions in Canada as the US. No flying above 400 feet, maintain VLOS.

Effective June 1 2019 you will need to have your drone registered and have a Canadian Pilots Certificate total of 15.00 for both.

You cannot fly in any National Parks in Canada, if you do it is a 550.00 dollar and up fine.

Mostly the same restrictions in Canada as the US. No flying above 400 feet, maintain VLOS.

Effective June 1 2019 you will need to have your drone registered and have a Canadian Pilots Certificate total of 15.00 for both.
Non residents have to apply for a SFOC , that's s all they need to do .

We are flying to USA and Canada this summer.
We want to bring our mavic for this beautiful trip.
I looked for information and It got me confused.
I registered the drone on the American website, do I need to do it for Canada too?

I also read that we cannot fly our drone in any national park. Is it for real?

I will be happy if someone could explain

Thanks Oren.

You simply comply with US registration and labeling requirements, but in Canada operate by their flight operating rules. You likely do not need any special permission (SFOC), if flying only for pleasure. See this link for details: Applying for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (current rules) - Transport Canada

Except as of now come June 1st you must be a Canadian citizen to register your drone and to take the test for the pilot Certificate.

You simply comply with US registration and labeling requirements, but in Canada operate by their flight operating rules. You likely do not need any special permission (SFOC), if flying only for pleasure. See this link for details: Applying for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (current rules) - Transport Canada

Hi Oren, in the US, you may not fly a drone from within a National Park, but you may fly on lands managed by BLM. The only exceptions to this are wilderness areas and special exempted areas such as sensitive wildlife habitat or emergency closure areas. There are sectional maps published by FAA VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts, and B4UFly.com website to locate prohibited areas.

Where are you visiting from? If you are going to Southern California, PM me and perhaps I can help show where you can fly in some of our legal scenic areas.

Cheers

This is correct.....

But if you are arriving after June 1 2019 you have to register and get your pilots certificate..

As I said before non Canadian citizens can not currently register their drones in Canada and can not obtain a pilot certificate. Please don't pass on incorrect information.

Qualifications To Be Registered Owner of a Remotely Piloted Aircraft
901.04 (1)
Subject to subsection (2), a person is qualified to be the registered owner of a remotely piloted aircraft if they are

• (a) a citizen of Canada;
  • (b) a permanent resident of Canada;
  • (c) a corporation incorporated under the territorial, provincial or federal laws of Canada; or
  • (d) a municipal, provincial or federal entity.

Last edited:
As I said before non Canadian citizens can not currently register their drones in Canada and can not obtain a pilot certificate. Please don't pass on incorrect information.

Qualifications To Be Registered Owner of a Remotely Piloted Aircraft
901.04 (1)
Subject to subsection (2), a person is qualified to be the registered owner of a remotely piloted aircraft if they are

• (a) a citizen of Canada;
  • (b) a permanent resident of Canada;
  • (c) a corporation incorporated under the territorial, provincial or federal laws of Canada; or
  • (d) a municipal, provincial or federal entity.
Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

I am off to CA, NV & UT in SW USA soon.
FAA registration process very simple.
Ref State Parks: NV do NOT allow, UT do but you need to contact specific SPs as different parks have different rules. CA allow you to fly in SP but check for local restrictions. I found just calling them the best and all were most helpful. In NV I can fly in Red Rock Canyon NCA (National Conservation Area) but I do not know if that applies nationally. At Snow Canyon UT I have had to 'book' a slot to avoid conflict with others which is really helpful. I am impressed how organised it all is and how the park staff seem to go out of their way the ensure everyone (including drone flyers) enjoy themselves.
Ref insurance: Some SPs required copy of my BMFA Insurance, and to use it in the USA/Canada you need to contact the BMFA for a Cover Note to maintain cover there.
I did load AirMap into CS monitor to ensure I am compliant.
Full credit to the USA the processes are simple, the rule are simple and sensible, the information clear on the parks' websites and the park staff extremely helpful

I am off to CA, NV & UT in SW USA soon.
FAA registration process very simple.
Ref State Parks: NV do NOT allow, UT do but you need to contact specific SPs as different parks have different rules. CA allow you to fly in SP but check for local restrictions. I found just calling them the best and all were most helpful. In NV I can fly in Red Rock Canyon NCA (National Conservation Area) but I do not know if that applies nationally. At Snow Canyon UT I have had to 'book' a slot to avoid conflict with others which is really helpful. I am impressed how organised it all is and how the park staff seem to go out of their way the ensure everyone (including drone flyers) enjoy themselves.
Ref insurance: Some SPs required copy of my BMFA Insurance, and to use it in the USA/Canada you need to contact the BMFA for a Cover Note to maintain cover there.
I did load AirMap into CS monitor to ensure I am compliant.
Full credit to the USA the processes are simple, the rule are simple and sensible, the information clear on the parks' websites and the park staff extremely helpful
UT state parks are wonderfully staffed with very helpful employees. Snow Cyn is one of our favorites, too. My wife and I are planning on volunteering to do interpretive programs there when our daughter gets a bit older. Welcome to SW US!

Hi
Thank you all for replying.
I is little bit clearer now.
We are arriving at July to Canada first so I will register the drone in canedian authorities as well.
It’s a petty we will be able to fly in NPs as we plan to visit all parks in British Columbia and in Yellowstone.
I hope they will allow to fly in few of them.
Thanks
Oren

Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or drones in Canada’s national parks

Recreational use of drones at all Parks Canada places is prohibited.

Drone flying is a popular hobby for many people and may also be used for commercial purposes. However, Drones can pose risks to visitors, disturb wildlife and lead to negative experiences for other visitors to Banff National Park. For these reasons, Parks Canada strictly limits the use of drones.
Anyone caught operating a drone within park boundaries and without an approved permit may result in law enforcement action and a fine of up to $25,000.

Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or drones in Canada’s national parks

Recreational use of drones at all Parks Canada places is prohibited.

Drone flying is a popular hobby for many people and may also be used for commercial purposes. However, Drones can pose risks to visitors, disturb wildlife and lead to negative experiences for other visitors to Banff National Park. For these reasons, Parks Canada strictly limits the use of drones.
Anyone caught operating a drone within park boundaries and without an approved permit may result in law enforcement action and a fine of up to $25,000.

Commercial drone use – By permit only
The Superintendent may only issue a Restricted Activity Permit for the use of a drone for the following purposes:
  • Natural or cultural resource management and protection
  • Public safety
  • Law enforcement
  • Park/site management purposes directly relating to park administrative purposes
If you would like to apply for a Restricted Activity Permit for the use of a drone, you must submit a written proposal to [email protected]. In your proposal you must clearly demonstrate how your intended use of a drone supports any of the above purposes. If your project involves commercial filming, please refer to the commercial film and photography guidelines for the mountain national parks for more information.

I was just reading the USA registration rules and it looks like you have to be a US citizen to register a recreational drone?

Register Your Drone

In order to register, you must be:
  • 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the model aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc