DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I wonder IF question.........

JMMath

Reactions
what would happen IF, I were standing in the bed of a pickup using the top of the cab as my table and launched the drone up to about 15 feet. Started forward at 20 mph and followed it with the truck. Assuming a very Long straight road, would it just continue flying until the battery when dead. 20 mph for 30 minutes would be a pretty good distance, huh?

Reactions: rcookie
"What would happen if" ..............Taking you literally at your word then, depending on the model it would fly 'outwards' until it thought it had only enough battery to return to the launch/home point and then RTH to the launch point.
That assumes you do not occasionally reset the home point as you move and that the iron etc. of the truck does not mess up compasses etc.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yes it would. why would you think it wouldn’t.

Taking you literally at your word then, depending on the model it would fly 'outwards' until it thought it had only enough battery to return the the launch/home point and then RTH to the launch point.
That assumes you do not occasionally reset the home point as you move and that the iron etc. of the truck does not mess up compasses etc.
You could cancel RTH. And go till the battery made it autoland wouldn’t it.

Yes I know but I wanted to highlight the need to reset the homepoint as one moves, to avoid the RTH to the launch point problem, which has caught a few posters out

Yes I know but I wanted to highlight the need to reset the homepoint as one moves, to avoid the RTH to the launch point problem, which has caught a few posters out
?

May get a compass interference if launching from the sheet metal cab of the truck.

If it's fiberglass, shouldn't be a problem.

Depends and is weird. I used my 1990 GMC truck bed for my pad for years. Never had any issues but see where many cant. Have a 2012 Ford now and can’t be near it without it messing up compass.
Course it’s all aluminum.

Thanks guys, for all the helpful answers. Sometimes b4 work in the phone company “bullroom” these questions arise.
one time we even argued about floaters and sinkers ???‍♂️?

Reactions: dirkclod
I guess the question came up with radio limitations in mind, thinking that would be the limiting factor. Battery would be the other one.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem