DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Identifying clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone, anywhere, ever heard of a single documented case of someone flying a drone being robbed of their drone and gear?

Where do these fears come from?
My life paradigms are simple. Any argument supported by "what if" scenarios is immediately dismissed by me. I look at data and statistics. This paradigm has served me EXTREMELY well for 60 years. I wouldn't change a thing. I don't live in fear. Never have. Never will. "What if arguments" be d***ed.

Discuss.

D

hopefully nobody has had to go through that but with the way the world is now I can see the concern everybody has.
A concern over something that no one can point to one instance of? That's like me worrying that Elvis is going to steal my girlfriend.

The way the world is now, more than 35,000 people will die in vehicle wrecks this year. There's something to worry about and prepare for. People assaulting and robbing drone pilots is fantasy.

Try using the range of your drone instead of leaving it nearby and wearing a vest; the drone lures the people in its vicinity, leave a distance of 300m between you and your drone (which is still VLOS, even in Europe) and you won't be interrupted.

If you go further on a LOS or BVLOS flight and appear on someone's RID detector at 2.5Km, you think they'll take the car to confront you? They confront you when they see the drone on their vicinity, feel their privacy violated, look around, and see a person with a controller looking at the sky. Then they want to know why that person is flying a camera near them.

In fact, one of my karen's encounters started when I pulled the drone out of my bag and was preparing for takeoff, she just saw me and approached me because she was doing some yoga nearby and was going to change her clothes inside a car... I was thinking WTF, my car is full of photography gear, I can take out a telephoto and see your *** from 3Km away, I don't need to take off from 20m from your car with a noisy flying machine.

Obviously didn't say that, said I was a landscape photographer and the objective on the drone was a wide angle, so it's not possible that kind of things beyond 20m alt, she wasn't 100% pleased with the answer... but she left.

Last edited:
That's funny... I hadn't considered that some wear the dork vest when fun flying. I only wear it if I'm out on a job. I hadn't even considered wearing it for test flights or R&D flying. Funny....

D
I have a dork vest from Amazon that states I am an FAA certified drone pilot. It was very affordable. I wear it for recreational flights as well, depending on where I'm flying. If there will be people around, the vest usually goes on. Few people will talk to me when wearing it.
However I do feel self conscious and dorky when wearing it. LOL, I doubt anyone equates it to a bomber jacket and thinks "I'm so impressed with that guy's work attire! I really envy people in Hi-Vis jackets and their cool jobs, if only I'd taken a different career path..."

Reactions: Donnie Frank
With today's new environment, I have been seriously considering getting one. I've never felt the need for one before, but things are definitely changing....<:^/

D
How are things changing with respect to flying drones? What has happened that justifies carrying a weapon to fly a drone?

Looking at the history of violence in the US for the last several years, you're far more likely to encounter a violent situation where a weapon would be useful while you're in church or visiting an elementary school class than when you're flying a drone.

Last edited:
I have a dork vest from Amazon that states I am an FAA certified drone pilot. It was very affordable. I wear it for recreational flights as well, depending on where I'm flying. If there will be people around, the vest usually goes on. Few people will talk to me when wearing it.
However I do feel self conscious and dorky when wearing it. LOL, I doubt anyone equates it to a bomber jacket and thinks "I'm so impressed with that guy's work attire! I really envy people in Hi-Vis jackets and their cool jobs, if only I'd taken a different career path..."
My business partner and I also call them "Invisibility Cloaks." As you eluded to, for whatever reason, people generally don't approach us when we're wearing them. We got really nice ones (kind of heavy for Summer work). But they have no nomenclature on them. They are easily 95% effective.

D

Reactions: Torque
How are things changing with respect to flying drones? What has happened that justifies carrying a weapon to fly a drone?
I can't speak for real estate, but for mapping we sometimes work in some seedy areas. I actually turned down a job shooting a parking lot near the veteran's' war memorial in my home town. It's pretty sad that such sacred ground has turned into a homeless encampment. I don't know about your city or state, but until our governing bodies decide to do something about this homeless problem, I'm going to continue to scrutinize locations that may put my gear in danger. We're also a sanctuary city, which just adds to our already-out-of-control crime rate. If I had a CCW, I might be a little less concerned. But honestly, at this point in my career, I see no reason to take on work in locations where I may have to defend myself against drug addicts and/or homeless and/or illegal aliens, all 3 of whom may be desperate enough to think a drone is worth money at a pawn shop.

D

Punks. LOL. Here in Seattle punks (young kids needing money for drugs or just gas and food) are targeting vulnerable people in mall parking lots, following them home from grocery shopping, robbing and beating them in their own homes, staging traffic accidents to car jack vulnerable people's vehicles, etc.
Flying my drone doesn't make me a target, but being an older man in a nice car with nice toys makes me vulnerable to any of these crimes. That reality exists in many cities. So I've started wearing a camera on my chest whenever I fly, and I have a can of pepper spray on me as well. I am not in fear, but I am cautious and prepared in case I become one of the small percentage of our population that does experience a crime. I am not carrying a gun, but it is always a consideration, one I don't take lightly. I've spent 40 years working in trauma center ERs so my bias is heavily influenced by that reality (and is a constant reminder of the danger of carrying as well).

Punks. LOL. Here in Seattle punks (young kids needing money for drugs or just gas and food) are targeting vulnerable people in mall parking lots, following them home from grocery shopping, robbing and beating them in their own homes, staging traffic accidents to car jack vulnerable people's vehicles, etc.
Flying my drone doesn't make me a target, but being an older man in a nice car with nice toys makes me vulnerable to any of these crimes. That reality exists in many cities. So I've started wearing a camera on my chest whenever I fly, and I have a can of pepper spray on me as well. I am not in fear, but I am cautious and prepared in case I become one of the small percentage of our population that does experience a crime. I am not carrying a gun, but it is always a consideration, one I don't take lightly. I've spent 40 years working in trauma center ERs so my bias is heavily influenced by that reality (and is a constant reminder of the danger of carrying as well).
Well said. 100%.

D

I appreciate what you're saying. I'm a bit older and have similar concerns, which are part of the reason I moved from a large city to a small town 25 years ago. I sincerely admire you for being able to spend 40 years working in a trauma center. I know that's demanding and difficult work. Others friends who have worked in an ER or trauma center burned out after just a few years. I've seen some of that reality you mentioned with the .270 wounds in the deer I've shot. Understanding the reality of what happens is a big part of my caution about firearms being taken lightly.

Depending on an individual's circumstances, they may reach a thoughtful and reasonable decision about the need pepper spray or more lethal weapons. My point is that there's nothing specific to flying drones that creates a need for aggressive personal defense measures. Reading discussions here, I see a significant amount of fear of a drone-specific threat. But there is no support for that in fact. Based on several years of millions of people flying drones, there's no indication that flying a drone makes a person a target for robbery or violent attacks.

Reactions: R.Cowan and Torque
Mostly from Mavic3USA. (that was a joke).
Ha, use the @ sign so I can get the notification about your comment. 😂

All you have to do is look at the crime stats in your area. Crime is out of control. If I thought I could take out my drone and start flying it and thus make me immune from crime, I would fly my drone all the time. ;)

Self-defense and personal protection is all up to you; please don't let my comments influence your decision to exercise your rights to stay safe, you are free to go out and about completely defenseless or anywhere up to the legally allowed by law. The difference with me is I don't look down on people who exercise their God-given rights and believe in the Constitution...regardless whether they are eating lunch, flying drones, reading a book, or shopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Cowan
Look here, there are tons of stolen drones. Stolen Drone Info

Not all grew legs and walked off or where shoplifted or taken by the mailman or broken out of hot cars.

Many of these (those of which happen to be reported, doesn't count those that were not) were taken by force. Not my job to convince anyone that it happens that way or not, you are most definitely free to believe your drone will never be taken from you by force and in fact, that's probably the best way to think about it. Because I believe it can happen but I have found a secret method to keep me from living in fear. If you cannot find this method then I suggest you live in denial because living in fear is a helluva thing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Look here, there are tons of stolen drones. Stolen Drone Info

Not all were grew legs and walked off or where shoplifted or taken by the mailman or broken out of hot cars.

Many of these (those of which happen to be reported, doesn't count those that were not) were taken by force. Not my job to convince anyone that it happens that way or not, you are most definitely free to believe your drone will never be taken from you by force and in fact, that's probably the best way to think about it. Because I believe it can happen but I have found a secret method to keep me from living in fear. If you cannot find this method then I suggest you live in denial because living in fear is a helluva thing.
wow that's quite a few.

wow that's quite a few.
845 marked stolen on that page. Others are listed as missing. (Search the page for "STOLEN" to get the count.)

That's a miniscule drop in the bucket compared to to the millions of drones sold. There's nothing to suggest that any were taken during a robbery of a drone pilot.

845 marked stolen on that page. Others are listed as missing. (Search the page for "STOLEN" to get the count.)

That's a miniscule drop in the bucket compared to to the millions of drones sold. There's nothing to suggest that any were taken during a robbery of a drone pilot.
If none were taken by robbery I just hope it stays like that the way the world is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas