DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Identifying clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilots operating in low level operations in SAR where they regularly fly under the minimum AGL

This is my day job and fellow RAF coworkers. :)

I've just never had a "heads up" about a consumer UAS operating in my area. Only ones I know about are big ones like predators/etc operated by CBP. It's why I bring up the communication piece, I'm sure there are guys on the ground doing the same thing here in the states but that information never reaches us.

Make a trip to that RAF Safety Centre, I bet you'll teach those guys something and they'll teach you; win-win!

Reactions: old man mavic
This is my day job and fellow RAF coworkers. :)

I've just never had a "heads up" about a consumer UAS operating in my area. Only ones I know about are big ones like predators/etc operated by CBP. It's why I bring up the communication piece, I'm sure there are guys on the ground doing the same thing here in the states but that information never reaches us.

Make a trip to that RAF Safety Centre, I bet you'll teach those guys something and they'll teach you; win-win!
there is a free phone no we as drone flyers can call in the UK to inform them that we are going to be flying and also find out if there are any low level activities in the area , and is available to all drone fliers (0800515544)

I bought vest and hardhat. I've yet to actually wear it. I pretty much bought it just so that I look official and ward off any naysayers. I even got a hardhat that I put a big Santa Cruz die cut sticker on to look like I'm with some official company. Santa Cruz is a skateboard company for those that don't know. ;)

I pretty much fly discreetly though, thus not having to worn it yet. I have found some places I've been wanting to shoot, that while legal, definitely would increase the odds that I've get 'contacted by a concerned' citizen.

I think the vest looks cool and have pondered buying one to hang in the Jeep, but doubt I’d actually wear it. But you never know. Could point to it to bs an annoying naysayer...being an official registered Flyer an all. :)

General question
For those of you that wear a vest or shirt that indicates you are drone pilot have you found it keeps people away or does it generate more questions from the public ?
In my experience the high-vis vest - an essential piece of the professional aviation uniform, compulsory in some situations - does the job to keep the public at bay, especially those who would try to interfere or tell one the law (incorrectly). I have never once been approached while wearing the yellow vest.

On the topic of who should wear one, I would suggest that all professional RPAS pilots operating commercially should. For the hobbyist flyer, I think it’s a matter of personal preference.

General question
For those of you that wear a vest or shirt that indicates you are drone pilot have you found it keeps people away or does it generate more questions from the public ?

I wear an over-the-counter, unlabeled vest known as the "dork vest" between me and my partner. Honestly, the dork vest filters out 90% of inquisitors and lookie-loos. The difference between "vested" vs. "unvested" is amazing. Some guys spend exorbitant amounts of money on "custom vests" with all kind of dorky warnings on them, but I would put the results of my unlabeled dork vest against theirs any day.

DerekCops-1.JPG

I'm the guy in the hoodie.

D

Last edited:
Since we're comparing experience I've been wearing a green flight suit for 7 years now as a day job. As for the vest while operating a UAS, it's completely unnecessary and that's my point. I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for wearing a vest other than it "gives us legitimacy and authority" which it does not.

The reason I wear mine is to FOOL the public into leaving me alone. For that purpose, the "dork vest" (my affectionate name for it) works quite well. I've done the research. People just leave me alone when I wear it, which is my objective.

D

I get it if it’s a job/contract requirement. If you’re just wearing that to feel official it’s just sad. As pathetic as the private pilot wearing a bomber jacket with little patches and “remove before flight” tags hanging off the zippers headed out for some touch and gos in a 172.

I get it if it’s a job/contract requirement. If you’re just wearing that to feel official it’s just sad. As pathetic as the private pilot wearing a bomber jacket with little patches and “remove before flight” tags hanging off the zippers headed out for some touch and gos in a 172.

That's funny... I hadn't considered that some wear the dork vest when fun flying. I only wear it if I'm out on a job. I hadn't even considered wearing it for test flights or R&D flying. Funny....

D

@superstarpup - Fully understand what your saying - I was a LEO for many years and like your private pilot comments we had the "wanna be s" that would deck their car out as much as possible to make it look like a LEO car.

My inquiry was aimed at the Part 107 professional working a job. It's one thing if you got "disturbed" flying for fun - entirely different if you're on a job trying to get some detailed footage.

Reactions: BigAl07
@superstarpup - Fully understand what your saying - I was a LEO for many years and like your private pilot comments we had the "wanna be s" that would deck their car out as much as possible to make it look like a LEO car.

My inquiry was aimed at the Part 107 professional working a job. It's one thing if you got "disturbed" flying for fun - entirely different if you're on a job trying to get some detailed footage.

agreed. If someone is paying you, wear what they want or require you to wear.

People who wear a hi viz vest to take pictures of trees for fun might have something a bit wrong with them. They can wear a tutu if they want, but they should know it isn’t necessary and people aren’t laughing with them.

• Wow
Reactions: Torque
agreed. If someone is paying you, wear what they want or require you to wear.

People who wear a hi viz vest to take pictures of trees for fun might have something a bit wrong with them. They can wear a tutu if they want, but they should know it isn’t necessary and people aren’t laughing with them.
that comment is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just the same as i am entitled to choose to wear a hi viz vest when i fly,and if that means i have something a bit wrong with me,then so be it

@old man mavic - that's what nice about the hobby end of it. If you enjoy and are comfortable wearing hi-vis it's nobody's business. And from your tag line I will go out on a limb and make the assumption that you are a RPIC that follows the rules when you fly. Again, my original post was aimed more for the Part 107 person working a job -

that comment is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just the same as i am entitled to choose to wear a hi viz vest when i fly,and if that means i have something a bit wrong with me,then so be it

I would never say you are not entitled to wearing a hi viz vest. You can dress up as my little pony if you want. And like the vest, it would get some chuckles, but do nothing to improve safety.

@old man mavic - that's what nice about the hobby end of it. If you enjoy and are comfortable wearing hi-vis it's nobody's business. And from your tag line I will go out on a limb and make the assumption that you are a RPIC that follows the rules when you fly. Again, my original post was aimed more for the Part 107 person working a job -
@Mavic Mac my post was not aimed at you but i thank you for your reply,as i have said before i want to keep on flying my UAV for many more years, and i would not do anything that would be detrimental to that,we are all, hobby or commercial flyers responsible for flying in a safe manner.

I think dressing the part is important. I plan on trying to get my foot in the door with local law enforcement and fire depts. So for me its important to look the part. Some people might think its overkill but i think its important to present yourself in a professional manner for the jobs you are trying to acquire.

IMO being discreet when flying for fun is your best course of action, allows you to concentrate on the task at hand by not drawing attention to yourself.

Some vest wearing person on this forum is going to get robbed!

Has anyone, anywhere, ever heard of a single documented case of someone flying a drone being robbed of their drone and gear?

Where do these fears come from?

Has anyone, anywhere, ever heard of a single documented case of someone flying a drone being robbed of their drone and gear?

Where do these fears come from?
hopefully nobody has had to go through that but with the way the world is now I can see the concern everybody has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne