DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If not DJI... which drone?

Colorado_scott

Reactions
Most of you have light-years more experience with a drone than I do. I'd like to tap into your knowledge and ask, if you had to pick another drone, other than a DJI product, which drone would you choose and why? I'd rather not spend $1000 for a MP or an Air (local Costco store has the MP on the floor for $700 - I touched it today with many in stock. I have a limited application of wanting to fly from my (larger) kayak and take some video of me fishing (and my wife kayaking), and the wonderful scenery around the lake. What this means in practical terms, I'll need a flight time of at least 15 REAL minutes, the longer the better. I search for long-flight-time-drones on the web, so many come up - depending on what web site, search for Best 2018 Drones, every writer has an opinion.. usually different than the last article I read. So many manufacturers, so many options.

What I'm hoping for here is experienced users telling facts about drones they have perhaps owned, and see of there is some consensus narrowing in on 1-3 drones that might be options to a DJI drone. Well, those are my hopes anyway.

Thanks
Scott

Reactions: nlennie
I've bought a number of drones from other manufacturers. So far nothing has compared to the Mavic Pro for its tracking features, quality of photos and video, flight time, flight stability and portability. As far as flight time goes, 15 minutes should not be a problem unless you're paddling in temperatures below 40*F.

But I would be very careful when launching from a boat. If the app crashes or looses connection you would not want the drone to auto-RTH to where you launched as it might land in open water.

You will probably get some bias based on the forum. I have built drones before since I felt I couldn't get the features I wanted in a consumer drone, Mavic stopped my construction plans. So unless you have some specific needs in mind, I think it is hard to find a better all purpose bird than one of the DJI drones. I got a waterproof drone kit from www.aquacopters.com to fly while kayaking.

Most of you have light-years more experience with a drone than I do. I'd like to tap into your knowledge and ask, if you had to pick another drone, other than a DJI product, which drone would you choose and why? I'd rather not spend $1000 for a MP or an Air (local Costco store has the MP on the floor for $700 - I touched it today with many in stock. I have a limited application of wanting to fly from my (larger) kayak and take some video of me fishing (and my wife kayaking), and the wonderful scenery around the lake. What this means in practical terms, I'll need a flight time of at least 15 REAL minutes, the longer the better. I search for long-flight-time-drones on the web, so many come up - depending on what web site, search for Best 2018 Drones, every writer has an opinion.. usually different than the last article I read. So many manufacturers, so many options.

What I'm hoping for here is experienced users telling facts about drones they have perhaps owned, and see of there is some consensus narrowing in on 1-3 drones that might be options to a DJI drone. Well, those are my hopes anyway.

Thanks
Scott
I think that the Spark would be ideal for what you want to use it for and the cost is fairly minimal. There seems to be many used for sale lately...;)

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Yep, I have been seeing Spark flymore combos on CL for around 500 bux, I'm thinking about selling some stuff to get one. A buddy of mine has one, loves it. But I think he really wants a Mavic Pro.

Yep, I have been seeing Spark flymore combos on CL for around 500 bux, I'm thinking about selling some stuff to get one. A buddy of mine has one, loves it. But I think he really wants a Mavic Pro.
Check out the classified sections here and over on the Spark forum

Reactions: joejaxvic123
If you are going to be launching from and landing on a kayak, you will likely end up in the water at some point. If you lose a Mavic Pro, that's a lot of money. I would consider something cheap like a Yuneec Breeze which can be had for $200.

Aquacopters... COOL!! I have all RC stuff already, but need info on the flight controller, unsure what this is. But I contacted aquacopter, and will get info.. Thanks for the lead.

Had the Breeze, to short of flight time - but a nice drone. I liked it.

The Spark, not enough flight time.. I need 15+ real minutes.. Spark will not do that in Colorado.

If you are into building your own, I have had good luck with the shells from Dexmodels.com, waterproof , floating and very durable.

Thanks. I looked quickly at these. Seems sold in Europe; pricing in Euro. Worry a bit about that. I’ll look closer on a computer and not on my phone.

Thanks. I looked quickly at these. Seems sold in Europe; pricing in Euro. Worry a bit about that. I’ll look closer on a computer and not on my phone.
Go look at this. I've had 2 and gave one to son in law and kept my 4k model. It's a gentle flyer, has a build in android screen on the controller and has a gimble handle for hand held stabilized video. I hate to say what I paid for it but this is an outrageous deal.
Yuneec Q500 4K Typhoon Quadcopter RTF - $469.99 + $5 standard shipping

Thanks
Scott

I would get the Mavic Pro and buy a pontoon kit which have been discussed on this forum. This will allow to take off and land on the water close to your kayak. Ultimately you should wait for the Mavic Pro 2 which will have more favorable photography options.
I would not recommend a Spark, MA or a Yuneec model because they rely on WiFi for video transmission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom