DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you think a drone is spying on you.

My wife had another thought. Perhaps the other operator saw you buzzing around his place and thought YOU were spying on HIM! Tit for tat? She didn’t use that expression.

The first few
My wife had another thought. Perhaps the other operator saw you buzzing around his place and thought YOU were spying on HIM! Tit for tat? She didn’t use that expression.

When it happen the first few times I did not have a drone and any other flying R/C Devices. so I do not think that was the case.

Thats ridiculous, if he knows where he lives, just go there.

I suppose but the first few times it happened I did not own a drone or any other flying R/C devices, and if they had nothing to hide they should have been out in plain site, and not flying out of visual range.

thats a strange thing to have happen, i wonder if it could be a burglar looking to see if anyone is home?

This was in Australia . . .

I saw a segment on one of those overly dramatic TV current affairs shows about 12 - 18 months ago, but lead up story about drones scoping out properties for committing burglaries etc.

Had the usual generic footage of a drone flying, some paranoid homeowner saying a drone had been flying over there property a few times, and they were robbed of something in the backyard a few days later while away.
Can't remember what it was, a camper trailer, caravan or such.

Of course without any proof whatsoever, the homeowner and the story was basically saying it was connected, and it may have been (a drone is a pretty good aerial observation platform).
The story then went on to imply this regional town was under siege of spying drones whose owners were ready to rob you.

In reality the whole story probably just gives people of dubious ethics ideas to try !!
(Of course they have to go out and steal a drone first and learn to fly it a bit !)

It's probably not the case with your scenario, but if you have expensive items on your property, it might pay to look at how easy it is to get to them, and ways to secure them better.
A timely thing for most homeowners to do from time to time anyway.

Reactions: onewalkey
I can see where a person would think they were being spied on. Reading your post make me think of my flights. One house always seems to be in my shots while practicing in my yard, and I do hover when playing with settings. My wife has suggested I fly higher. And my neighbor came over last night to say his wife got wigged out. I told him I was standing in the middle of the driveway the day he described so I figured she knew it was me. We even exchanged waves. I was not over or near her but hovering some distance away. Wasn’t recording, just getting my bearings.

So ok, I’ll stop flying near your property. Just kidding.

Nice of them to ask, and see what you are doing. That's all I want to do about the person flying and hoover over my neighbors house about 10 with the camera point in the general direction of my back yard. If it was like you situation where I could have come over and talk to them and see what they were up. and if they were just practicing, I don't think I would have cared after that. In my mind if there were problems at my house, I know who they are and where they live, but i bugs me when i can drive through my whole neighborhood and see no one out, the my suspicions go up, with all the crime we have had in our neighborhood.

Reactions: Skywalker
This was in Australia . . .

I saw a segment on one of those overly dramatic TV current affairs shows about 12 - 18 months ago, but lead up story about drones scoping out properties for committing burglaries etc.

Had the usual generic footage of a drone flying, some paranoid homeowner saying a drone had been flying over there property a few times, and they were robbed of something in the backyard a few days later while away.
Can't remember what it was, a camper trailer, caravan or such.

Of course without any proof whatsoever, the homeowner and the story was basically saying it was connected, and it may have been (a drone is a pretty good aerial observation platform).
The story then went on to imply this regional town was under siege of spying drones whose owners were ready to rob you.

In reality the whole story probably just gives people of dubious ethics ideas to try !!
(Of course they have to go out and steal a drone first and learn to fly it a bit !)

It's probably not the case with your scenario, but if you have expensive items on your property, it might pay to look at how easy it is to get to them, and ways to secure them better.
A timely thing for most homeowners to do from time to time anyway.

Being a drone owner now, I really do not have a problem with them flying by, as I do not have anything expensive or really worth stealing, it just a little unnerving that the operator appears to conceal there position, in what seems to be a covert action many times.

Reactions: Skywalker
Just want to ensure you know I’m just messing with you. None of my suggestions( our my wife’s, a great partner) are serious, just expanding the conversation).

Being a drone owner now, I really do not have a problem with them flying by, as I do not have anything expensive or really worth stealing, it just a little unnerving that the operator appears to conceal there position, in what seems to be a covert action many times.

I feel the same when I see a drone flying nearby (which is VERY rarely . . . anywhere), as a drone owner I am well aware of how very low the interest drone owners find in flying around people / their properties.
It's usually the general public that are paranoid.

I often sit in my vehicle while flying my drone, to reduce the sunlight and glare so I can see my screen better. I still have a visual line of sight through the windshield. But if someone was looking for who is operating the drone, they may not see me sitting in my vehicle.

wow, the paranoia is thick in this t
I often sit in my vehicle while flying my drone, to reduce the sunlight and glare so I can see my screen better. I still have a visual line of sight through the windshield. But if someone was looking for who is operating the drone, they may not see me sitting in my vehicle.

Good idea I will have to keep a look out for that next time it happens. One of the times I did see two kids probably in there teens, come racing in to our subdivision on ATV's one of them had 2 big cases on the ATV that could carry a DJI Phantom in it.They pulled in to their garage and went in side the house. Did not see actually see any other indications of a drone with them so I'm not sure it was them. They could have been running scared since in our city you are not allow to drive any motorized vehicle that is not deemed street legal, such as it has to have light, blinkers, license plates, registration, and insurance.

I ask the local authorities about shooting it down with a paintball gun, they said if you do that you are responsible for any damages that might occur, when the drone comes crashing down into someone, or someone’s pet, car, house or other property. So, I guess I will pass on that. If it is a criminal I would think it probably not register anywhere.
yeah i wouldn’t recommend shooting down any drone,track down the drone pilot instead,have your drone on the ready and when you see it go out the front door if you see it in the back or vice ver sa,its going to be difficult to follow a drone with a drone

yeah i wouldn’t recommend shooting down any drone,track down the drone pilot instead,have your drone on the ready and when you see it go out the front door if you see it in the back or vice ver sa,its going to be difficult to follow a drone with a drone

That's my plan.... Thanks.

Reactions: Bill combs
Sounds like that operator needs to Read guidelines for being a good neighbor.
# If you can, tell other people you will be taking pictures or video of them before you do so.
# If you think someone has a reasonable exception of privacy, don't violate that privacy by taking pictures, video,or otherwise gathering sensitive data, unless you got a very good reason'
#Don't fly over other people's private without permission if you can easily avoid it.
# Don't gather personal data for no reason, and don't keep it longer than you think you have to.'
#If you keep sensitive data about other people, secure it against loss.
# If some one asks you NOT to keep personal data about him or her that you gathered, DO SO, unless you have a good reason not to.
#If anyone raises privacy, security, or safety concerns with you, try and listen to what they have to say, as long as they are polite and reasonable.
#Don't harass people with your drone.

Above is a list of voluntary guidelines for "neighborly" drone use, which serves to provide guidance to USA operators on ways to balance their rights as drone users and other peoples rights to privacy. These guidelines are the result of a multi-stakeholder engagement process established by President Obama. The objective of the process was to develop and communicate best practices, accountability, and transparency issues regarding commercial and private UAS use in the National Airspace System/
WHY WOULD YOU DO WHAT OBAMA ASKS? AS far as asking people if you can fly around rhode island and take pictures the answer would be no. try finding me with your drooooone it will never happen . and yes Obama suced azz

Reactions: Bill combs
Just came across this not sure where a good place to post it would be. But I think some one is using a drone to spy my house from time to time I have caught it about 10 feet above my neighbors house just hovering, and each time I come out it takes off. I think someone is flying it when they are not in visual site of the drone. cause when it takes off after they see me it disappears out of sight, after making a few direction changes, so it is hard to tell where the operator is. This has happen on several occasions. the first few time it was a DJI Phantom series, and the last time it appears it may have been a Spark size drone. it Usually disappears before I have a chance to put my drone up and search for the operator. I could see this happening once or twice with someone learning how to operate the drone, but not 4 or 5 times. As an operator I do not fly out of visual site, and I do not hide my presents, I try to be out in the open so if anyone has questions about what I'm doing I can tell and show them, as I have nothing to hide.

I would try to get photos of the drone(s) and get the local law enforcement involved. I think there is definitely something weird about a drone hovering at low altitude outside yours or a neighbor's house. This is the kind of behavior that makes the public paranoid about drones. Even though 99% of owner/operators dont engage in behavior like this and dont like when others do, people that are ignorant on the subject assume that all drones are spying on them. I have had the "spying" accusation directed at on many occasions and this is why.

I’d walk out of my house naked.

Y’all think I’m joking.

When you first notice the drone, are you able to tell which direction the camera is facing? And are you able to identify that the drone is there before you walk out? Like, do you hear it while inside and then walk out to look at it?
Hilarious.[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Just thought of, if more than one DJI drone of different or same model could I encounter problems with the controls using the console and not WIFI?

Shoudn't be a problem.

I would try to get photos of the drone(s) and get the local law enforcement involved. I think there is definitely something weird about a drone hovering at low altitude outside yours or a neighbor's house. This is the kind of behavior that makes the public paranoid about drones. Even though 99% of owner/operators dont engage in behavior like this and dont like when others do, people that are ignorant on the subject assume that all drones are spying on them. I have had the "spying" accusation directed at on many occasions and this is why.
Hovering does make people nervous. However, there are legitimate reasons for such a hover. I often shoot spherical panoramas at low altitude, and it requires a full minute hovering in place to complete the process with the M2. Usually the primary subject is not directly below the drone, but may require hovering over a location nearby to get the best view for the spherical panorama subject.

Similarly, police helicopters do not fly directly over their target, but fly in a slow wide orbit around it, which often puts them at low altitude directly over houses on a hillside, for a subject completely on the other side of a nearby freeway, at a much lower elevation, over a high crime area. Annoying, but not much that can be done about it. We both have jobs to do, that occasionally cause annoyance to others that are not the subject.

I try to fly high enough to not attract attention while shooting the panoramas (M2 in a hover is virtually silent at 100 feet), but the yawing of the drone during the panorama should ease concerns about spying on a specific subject. I am also a target for rogue sharpshooters while hovering in place, so I fly away as quickly as possible after completing the process, and generally shoot panoramas at times of day when no one is around. Nude sunbathers are an automatic NFZ with a very wide perimeter! Show respect and follow the Golden Rule.

I would think the PIC would be closer than further. It was said the UAS was at a low to very low altitude and between houses at some point. VLOS is one factor but the transmission of the controller and UAS would be weak to very weak due to wifi and structure interference.
Make a poster board message to them (like a yard sale sign) to convey your message of concern.
I can neither confirm or deny the use of monofilament (fishing line) strung across properties can takedown a drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986