DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If your drone gets stuck up a tree call fire fighters

other than obtaining public safety assistance.

I don’t think you realize just how broad this makes our coverage. Getting a drone out of a tree is no more a crime than getting called out to silence someone’s septic tank alarm at 2am because they couldn’t reach the silence button (done it) or unlocking someone’s car because they locked their keys inside. And as others have said, it makes for a great training opportunity.

I don’t think you realize just how broad this makes our coverage. Getting a drone out of a tree is no more a crime than getting called out to silence someone’s septic tank alarm at 2am because they couldn’t reach the silence button (done it) or unlocking someone’s car because they locked their keys inside. And as others have said, it makes for a great training opportunity.
I didn’t write the law man.

I think when people say it’s against the law, they’re talking about tying up a 911 or local dispatcher for a non-emergency. Walking into a firehouse and asking is a totally different story. The duty captain in charge knows what resources he has for that shift and can make the decision. They might have a utility truck they can send out that won’t be essential for an emergency call.
Better yet would be to ask your town/city’s maintenance or public works department. They probably have a bucket truck and may be willing to help.

I've been waiting for this one! My Pro got stuck up in a tree ( my fault entirely ) Luckily my neighbour is a tree surgeon and welcomes an opportunity to climb trees for reasons other than chopping them down! Up he went, guided by the lights on the bird, and brought it down in one piece. Didn't even want some money for a pint as we'd been watering his garden whilst he was away. All part of the excitement of owning a drone.
I still haven't mastered POI which is how it got there in the first place.

Reactions: colinfowler
I've been waiting for this one! My Pro got stuck up in a tree ( my fault entirely ) Luckily my neighbour is a tree surgeon and welcomes an opportunity to climb trees for reasons other than chopping them down! Up he went, guided by the lights on the bird, and brought it down in one piece. Didn't even want some money for a pint as we'd been watering his garden whilst he was away. All part of the excitement of owning a drone.
I still haven't mastered POI which is how it got there in the first place.
Lol! I’m trying to practice orbiting manually but I usually give up and use the automatic POI. You center exactly over the top of the object. Pointing the gimble straight down helps you get it centered. Hit apply. Then back off from the object to set the radius. I think the minimum is 16 feet. Set the gimble and altitude the way you want it and start. By automating the orbit, your hands are free so you can adjust the speed, radius and altitude on the fly.
I did a POI over a major suspension bridge and it was nerve-wracking enough with auto POI. 400 ft AGL with wind gusts and just barely clearing the suspension cables.

Lol! I’m trying to practice orbiting manually but I usually give up and use the automatic POI. You center exactly over the top of the object. Pointing the gimble straight down helps you get it centered. Hit apply. Then back off from the object to set the radius. I think the minimum is 16 feet. Set the gimble and altitude the way you want it and start. By automating the orbit, your hands are free so you can adjust the speed, radius and altitude on the fly.
I did a POI over a major suspension bridge and it was nerve-wracking enough with auto POI. 400 ft AGL with wind gusts and just barely clearing the suspension cables.

Ahhhh, thank you. I’ve been orbiting manually for 12 months now and quite good at controlling the gimbal, aircraft and watching the screen, I was about to look up how to do POI and you’ve explained it so easily I’m taking the MP with me at work tomorrow and will give POI a try. Thanks again.

Yeah id like to see people get fined for a gross waste of resources unless the fire brigade are on-site already.
i believe the department decides, right? they could decide they want the practice. it's not like they are calling in people that are not currently working.

We use a lot of fuel constantly drilling, so I consider this a drill that helps someone out, and it adds variety to the day.

Regards,

Kevin

i believe the department decides, right? they could decide they want the practice. it's not like they are calling in people that are not currently working.

Maybe in the states. This is in the UK and they certainly can't decide to take an appliance out on a joy ride for that.

I am a career firefighter. Your mileage may vary but if a resident came to our fire station and the appropriate crew was working, there is a great likelihood we would attempt to retrieve your property.

It’s a great training opportunity as well as positive pr for the department.

I’ve yet to rescue a drone but have rescued my share of cats.

Reactions: hherbson
I am a career firefighter. Your mileage may vary but if a resident came to our fire station and the appropriate crew was working, there is a great likelihood we would attempt to retrieve your property.

It’s a great training opportunity as well as positive pr for the department.

I’ve yet to rescue a drone but have rescued my share of cats.

You've probably learned a few things about grabbing scared cats. I learned the hard way to wear a coat and gloves, and put it in a utility bag for the climb down. The first cat I grabbed as a newbie left me looking like I got in a fight with a weed wacker. I found it's better when the "cats in the bag", as opposed to the popular saying, and cat scratch fever isn't just a song!

Regards,

Kevin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett