DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If your drone gets stuck up a tree call fire fighters

As a carrier fire Lt. in the US I can say I have been asked to get a drone out of a tree. I understand people reaction to it being a waste of resources. And on my department it’s on a case by case basis. For example the non emergency fire alarm bucket truck retrieved a drone from a tree so as not to tie up an emergency ladder truck. One of the reasons for the Fire department doing it is. if people get creative/desperate to get the drone back they can easily hurt themselves or others. Also I would never use water to get one out of a tree. .

Do they do it free of charge? Or is it like using an ambulance as a taxi?

Reactions: Canuk
Hi Asfwt,

Good to see a fellow FF on here. I've helped get a few down, with the first one being over 20 years ago (it was a RC plane). For us, if someone calls 911 they'll be told no, since it sidelines resources, and also poses a (small) risk to FF who climb the ladder.

Your best bet would be to go to the nearest firehouse (with a ladder truck) in person, explain your situation and ask nicely. Where I work it tends to be up to the discretion of the truck officer. If it's a valuable drone you stand a much better chance than a $80 toy.

A lot depends on the access to the drone. The outriggers on our truck go WAY out, and with street parking and power lines it may not be doable. Also, if it's on the back side of the tree, that makes rescue unlikely. This falls vaguely under our responsibility to protect life and property. I would sure like a hand if my drone ever got stuck in a tree, but some people are just salty.

Regards,

Kevin

I certainly would not waste the resources of the fire department to get my drone out of a tree.

When mine was stuck in a tree we called the fire department and they told us they don't rescue drones (or cats either). :D

Ended up calling a tree trimmer to climb up the tree and retrieve it.

Do they do it free of charge? Or is it like using an ambulance as a taxi?
In the UK where this incident happened, you are never charged for emergency services, fire, ambulance, whatever. A crate of beer may well be delivered to the fire station later as a thank you though!
However they do take a dim view of inappropriate call outs, but as suggested above they often do stuff like this to prevent further problems e.g. when someone tries to climb the tree and gets stuck or falls.

Reactions: RLW8888
Hello back to Kevin and Jered6323. My department would not charge for that service. The only service you would get a bill for is the ambulance. As far as if we will get a drone or not it all depends on what it would take to get it- risks involved/how busy we are/cost of the drone/what resources are needed-and the biggie who is on duty when the request comes in. Some officers would just say no and not think about it again. Others would accept the challenge and want to see if they could get it down.

U.K. Fire dep will do this and many other things that could be seen as a waste of resources.
If crews and appliances are available they may attend.
Crews on standby spend lots of time on simulation training. Things like this are treated as training for crew members development, equipment use and risk assessment.

Hi Asfwt,

Good to see a fellow FF on here. I've helped get a few down, with the first one being over 20 years ago (it was a RC plane). For us, if someone calls 911 they'll be told no, since it sidelines resources, and also poses a (small) risk to FF who climb the ladder.

Your best bet would be to go to the nearest firehouse (with a ladder truck) in person, explain your situation and ask nicely. Where I work it tends to be up to the discretion of the truck officer. If it's a valuable drone you stand a much better chance than a $80 toy.

A lot depends on the access to the drone. The outriggers on our truck go WAY out, and with street parking and power lines it may not be doable. Also, if it's on the back side of the tree, that makes rescue unlikely. This falls vaguely under our responsibility to protect life and property. I would sure like a hand if my drone ever got stuck in a tree, but some people are just salty.

Regards,

Kevin
I would assume that the offer of buying a few pizzas for the folks at the fire station might help in that decision making process too?

Reactions: hherbson
Hello back to Kevin and Jered6323. My department would not charge for that service. The only service you would get a bill for is the ambulance. As far as if we will get a drone or not it all depends on what it would take to get it- risks involved/how busy we are/cost of the drone/what resources are needed-and the biggie who is on duty when the request comes in. Some officers would just say no and not think about it again. Others would accept the challenge and want to see if they could get it down.
Nice to know that. Before my Mavic I had a 300.00 drone that a family member took control of at a 4th of July party and flew it away. The following April someone knocked on my door with drone in hand. They retrieved the sd card and recognized my property.

Originally posted 12/17 Not trying to step on any toes posting a web page BUT as it is pertinent and since I do know my way around trees (yes, a pun) - I found this DIY vid and built one prolly cost less than $20 usd. HTH

I’d like to know where your source is for defining this a crime. Because as a firefighter that works in the US, I can assure you that it’s not a crime.

Just trying to help with a friendly warning. Chances are, emergency services will just say no, or may even sometimes help with the situation but it isn’t right to utilize emergency services for non emergencies and furthermore, as shown below, it is against the law to utilize them for non emergency services.

Florida’s statute as an example 365.172(14):
“...any person who knowingly uses or attempts to use such service for a purpose other than obtaining public safety assistance;...commits a misdemeanor of the first degree”
It applies to the misuse of emergency services aka the “911” system” as defined in legal definitions section.

If it's a slow day, I would think a bored firehouse might see such a 'rescue' as a community good-will opportunity - while at the same time allowing the crew to get additional ladder time/experience/exercise while not facing the dangers of a life threatening event. But that's just me.

Reactions: Drgnfli
The drone left high in a tree might been seen as a potential danger of falling on some one if the wind dislodged it. So fire service removing a visibly potential accident waiting to happen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS