DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal to fly over a "federal railroad" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...I was "suggesting" that it might be good evidence that "it says I'm ok to fly here"...
But you can't get a permit (notification actually) if LAANC isn't available. Best case scenario, you can pull up B4UFly and show them it's clear airspace.

@Robert Prior
After a few coffees and some more searching I found this info.
The London FIC was called by a drone pilot in the area. They had no knowledge of MetroLinx or CN having any restricted airspace in Ontario that would effect RPAS flights. If the NAV CAN portal / App approves the flight in controlled airspace and you have the correct permits / permission to operate on the ground you are good to go. A courtesy call or email to Metrolinx / CN to let them know of the operation might be a good idea.
So it sounds like the Metrolinx guy was mistaken?

I fly either a Mini 3 or a Mavic 2 under basic rules, so either don't need approvals (sub-250 g) or not in controlled airspace.

Wasn't planning on buzzing a train, but I do want to get an overhead shot of a train whizzing by underneath, probably from 50+ metres to avoid turbulence.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
So it sounds like the Metrolinx guy was mistaken?

I fly either a Mini 3 or a Mavic 2 under basic rules, so either don't need approvals (sub-250 g) or not in controlled airspace.

Wasn't planning on buzzing a train, but I do want to get an overhead shot of a train whizzing by underneath, probably from 50+ metres to avoid turbulence.
Yup, I live by this rule when flying my drone. Just because you can does not mean you should.
Fly safe. There's common sense and then there is non sense.

In these kind of situations I think we are best served by Step One: Gather the Facts. You’ve described the scenario in very good detail here. I’d encourage you to write it up in a very factual manner, and send the inquiry directly to the FAA asking for a ruling. I can only speak for myself, but if they reply back in your favor, I’d send a follow up communication the railroad guy’s superior’s letting them know about this moron and his threats.

Reactions: Robert Prior
Did you watch the video I posted from Russ at 51 drones? That was a regular cop that confronted him. Wonder what would have happened if Russ did not be as nice as he was.
That is the real problem. You can be legally right but still get arrested by some cowboy cop. I am confident the railroad in question has/had no right to prevent a person from launching a drone outside of the RR land and flying over as long as they followed FAA regs. That said, the RR cop might still have cuffed and arrested the pilot. Maybe lose a lawsuit down the road but who wants that hassle? Not me.

Since we're on the topic... I posted this quite some time ago but I imagine many folks here never saw it as things come and go. Throughout the filming I was careful to -not- fly directly over the train for any extended time. I don't think I flew over it at all. I was quite aware of the whole controversy of RR's and knew I was not allowed to fly over for any extended period of time but chose to avoid flying over the train at all. The president of the AK Railroad corporation liked it... :).

That is the real problem. You can be legally right but still get arrested by some cowboy cop. I am confident the railroad in question has/had no right to prevent a person from launching a drone outside of the RR land and flying over as long as they followed FAA regs. That said, the RR cop might still have cuffed and arrested the pilot. Maybe lose a lawsuit down the road but who wants that hassle? Not me.
Ok guys and not just you @akdrone but I’m sick of all the anti LE comment’s in this. You never know as Barney as I read many call
LE Officers might be your freind when they bust through your door
and shoot some gang members raping your wife and daughter while you are taped up making you watch. Don’t think you would tell them to go pound sand as I’ve read in so many threads.
Yes they are many that let the badge go to their head but way more
that don’t. Put thier lives on the line everyday.
Now this thread has went from flying over a US federal RR to everything but that. Yes I’ve posted in this and went to a meltdown on several that I’ve apologized to. One Vic and the other Augustine.
But it’s not going to take more for me to close this.
Please stay on the topic of the original post or it will be over.
Again I apologize for my meltdown.
and as Forrest said ..That’s all I got to say about that.
Do not reply to this post or I will see it as off topic and treat it as such. Any more off topic post and just consider this closed.
DC

Reactions: Myetkt
You can be legally right but still get arrested by some cowboy cop.
Old story from a lawyer friend, which he heard in law school.

Guy calls his lawyer worried because the police have accused him of something. Lawyer listens to the story and say "don't worry, they can't put you in jail for that." Guy replies "but you don't understand, I'm calling from jail!"

Reactions: bitsbytes
WARNED YOU GUYS
3naGP1L.gif

Reactions: Myetkt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members