DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image transmission and distance

Traindriver

Reactions
I am a little, just a little, disappointed in my zoom. Really just the range.

I previously had an Air (RIP). There is one spot in my county where I go fly which has very little electronic interference and no structural or vegetative interference. It is over a lake. Wide open area with no obstructions and no interference. I have taken my Air 11,179’ with absolutely no lag, glitch, warning, drop outs - no nothing. Crystal clear video and dead on responsive. I had to come back to save battery. Impressed me to no end.

I’ve taken my M2Z to the same place, but after about 11,000’, I start getting lag and glitches and by about 12,200’ I decided to come back because I had lost video signal several times, received several weak signal warnings and was so laggy and glitchy, it was no longer fun to fly.

The controller signal bars stood strong at 3 bars, but the HD video bars were only 2 or 1 by this point. I notice the same type thing in other areas as well. I am going farther than my Air, but far below what I was expecting out of Occusync 2.

Is this a typical video range for a M2, or did I just have an absolute beast of an Air? Are there any adjustments I can make?

3.4 km really is quite a distance with an Air, particularly as your only restriction was battery as you said. That said, if you really are flying from the exact same location so it’s apples for apples, the Zoom should trample all over that if you’re in the US. Do you know anyone else who has one so you can do a comparison?

Yeah it’s the same place. It may be some slight interference difference from day to to day. There was once or twice I had to turn back on my Air at less than 10,000’, but I was half expecting it on an Air. But I was really expecting much more on my Zoom.

Perhaps a few more flights from the same place to test things out.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Was your Air on FCC Mode? And your MZ on FCC/CE?

I owned Air. And yes if MZ on CE mode VS Air on FCC mode, the MZ distance is shorter.

But after changed to FCC on MZ, no way Air can beat MZ. Flew 6.5Km with MZ on very high interference with smooth video feed.

I owned Air. And yes if MZ on CE mode VS Air on FCC mode, the MZ distance is shorter.

But after changed to FCC on MZ, no way Air can beat MZ. Flew 6.5Km with MZ on very high interference with smooth video feed.

I assume all of them bought in the US are already preset, and it don’t get much more US than Best Buy in Atlanta, GA. However, is there a specific place in the settings to check?

You probably got a lemon. If you are still within return period, exchange your Zoom for anotner one and redo the test.

I have this same issue, right around 10k -11k. I haven't gotten to test at another spot yet, maybe this weekend.

I am a little, just a little, disappointed in my zoom. Really just the range.

I previously had an Air (RIP). There is one spot in my county where I go fly which has very little electronic interference and no structural or vegetative interference. It is over a lake. Wide open area with no obstructions and no interference. I have taken my Air 11,179’ with absolutely no lag, glitch, warning, drop outs - no nothing. Crystal clear video and dead on responsive. I had to come back to save battery. Impressed me to no end.

I’ve taken my M2Z to the same place, but after about 11,000’, I start getting lag and glitches and by about 12,200’ I decided to come back because I had lost video signal several times, received several weak signal warnings and was so laggy and glitchy, it was no longer fun to fly.

The controller signal bars stood strong at 3 bars, but the HD video bars were only 2 or 1 by this point. I notice the same type thing in other areas as well. I am going farther than my Air, but far below what I was expecting out of Occusync 2.

Is this a typical video range for a M2, or did I just have an absolute beast of an Air? Are there any adjustments I can make?

It may just be your video feed trying to send a lot more information than your Air. Try a lower resolution.

Where is that setting located? Is that the HD or Normal setting?
I will defer to a M2Z owner for accurate instructions. I fly a MP and have different resolution settings that are found in the camera settings section.

Where do you determine if its in FCC or CE mode.. do you know?

Yep same issue here. My Mavic air has flown as far as my M2Z. The M2Z has about the same range as my old Mavic air. 8000-10000ft. :( I'm very disappointed so far.

Isn't there a setting to change the frequency between 5.8 and 2.4 GHz? The 2.4 GHz should give you much better range than the 5.8 GHz.

Yep same issue here. My Mavic air has flown as far as my M2Z. The M2Z has about the same range as my old Mavic air. 8000-10000ft. :( I'm very disappointed so far.

Crikey that’s 3km, is that not enough? I’ve also come from an Air to a Zoom (CE region) and I’m finding that the range (the Air had the FCC mod) is slightly better than the Air. But one thing which is a lot better is the quality of the feed, it doesn’t miss a beat.

Last edited:
Crikey that’s 3km, is that not enough? I’ve also come from an Air to a Zoom (CE region) and I’m finding that the range (the Air had the FCC mod) is slightly better than the Air. But one thing which is a lot better is the quality of the feed, it doesn’t miss a beat.
Yeah, I’m satisfied now. I think I’ve since taken it out 16,000’ (4.8km for you). No issues at all.

Reactions: Wacker2611
You probably got a lemon. If you are still within return period, exchange your Zoom for anotner one and redo the test.
That is the dumbest thing to say!!!! why would you tell someone this and have absolutely no evidence to back it up..Was one try even. every day is a different nothing wrong with his aircraft!! Damit man!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688