DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Implications of using NTSC for UK users

Storyline

Reactions
When I set up my Mavic I selected PAL in the settings as that is the TV standard in the UK . However I have been given advice to film at 30fps rather than 24/5 and the only way I can find to do that is to use NTSC. Are there any drawbacks to using it even though it is not standard here ?

PAL/NTSC is a historical video thing, I don't think it has any meaning in digital video.
However 1080i 50 is the normal broadcast format in Europe. 30fps is normal for USA. It really only matters if you are editing your footage together with other sources, in which case you want to keep it all the same format.

When I set up my Mavic I selected PAL in the settings as that is the TV standard in the UK . However I have been given advice to film at 30fps rather than 24/5 and the only way I can find to do that is to use NTSC. Are there any drawbacks to using it even though it is not standard here ?

Digital TVs don't display in lines any more so it's largely irrelevant. The refresh rates are different (50hz versus 60hz) but a decent TV should adjust for that. But I don't think you'd notice the difference between 24 and 30fps frankly anyway. Try both and see.

You can freely switch between, the camera will reboot which can take up to 10 seconds.
It makes precious little difference except if you are on 25fps or 30fps make sure all your edit and render is using the same or it's possible to get little jumps as it works around the mixed frame rates.
The only thing to note is that any electric lighting in frame is likely to flicker annoyingly if you are on the wrong setting.
For that reason alone it's probably best to be on PAL and 25fps unless in the US or Japan.

Some use a technique shooting at 30fps or higher then interpret the footage at 24 which gives you slight slow-mo and smooths out little jitters, this is more useful if including snippets from handheld cameras than your mavic recording.

Some argue that 24fps recorded at the same bitrate as 30fps will have more data in each frame.
Others feel that 30fps is noticeably smoother in the same way as 50 or 60 fps looks smoother.
Keeping your flying movements smooth and precise is the most important factor to get pleasing results.

Keeping your flying movements smooth and precise is the most important factor to get pleasing results.
Yes, I can see that makes a lot of sense. One of the dangers of this forum and YouTube is that you can easily spend more time reading about the perfect settings than actually flying the Mavic and improving technique. I have been guilty of this but have learned some useful stuff such as softening the gimbal movement etc. There also seems to be concensus around D-Cinelike, 24 or 30fps and 50 or 60 shutter speed and quite aggressive focus peaking.
Anyway, enough typing, I am going into the garden to have a quick flight - something I would never dare do with my old first gen Phantom as the garden is quite small :)

25/50 and 30/60 are exactly the same visually. Unless you're showing on an imax you will notice no difference Just stick with your 180 degree role.

Nothnig more can be said than "It depends on your use and target for the footage".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada