DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Import Tax into UK from DJI Netherlands for repairs?

DomDeV

Reactions
Hi,
Has anyone in the UK had a repair done by DJI (Netherlands) since Jan 1st 2021 & did you have to pay an import tax? (since leaving the EU)

I'd guess customs would assume it's a ~£300 item, and make you pay £60 before it's delivered ?

Any experience this year ?

It's not a purchase from abroad so why on earth would HMRC charge import duty?
It is however a VERY GOOD question and given how everything else connected with the exit seems to be a _ _ _ _ up you may have a point.
With that in mind I would make sure you have a very good paper trail showing it is a repair/replacement so that you could challenge HMRC if they do 'try' to charge.
I wonder, do the Dutch customs charge import duty on the damaged one.
I thought the truck diver's ham sandwich was a corker, I was wondering what would have happened it the trip had been made 2 or 3 days earlier or exit was completed.

Bear in mind that the carrier may be responsible for collecting any duty and that they may charge a collection fee!
I recollect reading that RM will refund the fee if it is proven that an item was not liable for duty and duty was mistakenly charged but that was quite a few years ago and should be checked.

Looks like HMRC WILL charge an import tax. Possibly all fixes are now £60 more expensive.

Presumably every Care Refresh claim is now basically £100 / £150 [emoji853]

-------
Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

Regarding the import tax, as of 1 January you may be charged of duties and taxes billed by the destination Custom. DJI pays the duties when the shipment is shipped to NL; and the consignee needs to pay the duties and taxes when the shipment is imported from NL to the non-EU country.

For more information please check on UK GOV webstie: Brexit

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. We will be happy to assist you.

Have a good day!

Surely the import/export duties only apply if you are buying from or selling to an EU country from the UK. In this case you are sending an item you already loan (and can prove it) for repair - you are not exporting it. I would contact HM Revenue and Customs for a definitive answer.

Ahhhhh but that's common sense thinking, remember you are talking about stuff drafted by Sir Humphery Applebys!!!
Yes, Minister - I remember it well. Hence my suggestion to speak directly to the source.

A lot depends on what it written on the customs declaration on the package. My experience in shipping car ECUs abroad to be fixed is that if it clearly states 'for repair and return' or 'repaired' then Customs will not charge import duty or VAT because the item has not entered the country without paying tax. But if there's nothing other than 'electronic device', they can't tell if it's new or not, so will default to charging taxes. Everything hinges on filling in the paperwork properly and not assuming that Customs can work out what's in the box and why it's been sent across borders.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Will DJI mark repairs as such?
Does the same thing apply for the outward journey to Holland?
If a 'paper trail' can be shown that proves it is a repair etc. will HMRC and the carrier refund duty and charges?

As far as I know import duty is only paid once on an item, at the original time of purchase, and any further movement between countries, for example to have a repair carried out, wouldn't attract import tax, though shipping charges would apply. I've no legal qualifications so that's just my humble opinion. Someone who has gone through the process could maybe give us an answer based on their experience rather than relying on multiple differing answers (mostly opinion :)) from us armchair experts on MavicPilots? It's not beyond the realms of possibility for transport firms to add a few £ on to their invoices using catch-all terms (shipping charge/admin/customs). UK Customs form CN22 has a tick box for returned goods. The best people to ask would be HMRC who could give you a factual and definitive answer as @maelstrom said in post #7.

Hi,
Has anyone in the UK had a repair done by DJI (Netherlands) since Jan 1st 2021 & did you have to pay an import tax? (since leaving the EU)

I'd guess customs would assume it's a ~£300 item, and make you pay £60 before it's delivered ?

Any experience this year ?
As far as I know import duty is only paid once on an item, at the original time of purchase, and any further movement between countries, for example to have a repair carried out, wouldn't attract import tax, though shipping charges would apply. I've no legal qualifications so that's just my humble opinion. Someone who has gone through the process could maybe give us an answer based on their experience rather than relying on multiple differing answers (mostly opinion :)) from us armchair experts on MavicPilots? It's not beyond the realms of possibility for transport firms to add a few £ on to their invoices using catch-all terms (shipping charge/admin/customs). UK Customs form CN22 has a tick box for returned goods. The best people to ask would be HMRC who could give you a factual and definitive answer as @maelstrom said in post #7.
Yes I received my repaired air 2 from Holland today and was stung with a customs fee of £65.25 ??‍♂️Im currently in the process of claiming my money back. What I don’t understand is on my invoice it states the value of the air 2 as 300€! When I finally manage to claim the money back (i can tell this won’t be a 2 second claim) I will post what you need to do to save someone else this ball ache ?

Reactions: SteCee and TDZHDTV
Yes I received my repaired air 2 from Holland today and was stung with a customs fee of £65.25 ??‍♂️Im currently in the process of claiming my money back. What I don’t understand is on my invoice it states the value of the air 2 as 300€! When I finally manage to claim the money back (i can tell this won’t be a 2 second claim) I will post what you need to do to save someone else this ball ache ?

Hi Mate, just getting my air 2 back from Holland aswell and been hit with a £67 import charge, did you get to the bottom of this by any chance?

I've had my Mavic 2 controller replaced under warranty...DJI supply an invoice to attach to the outer packaging for return shipping to Netherlands.
UPS brought the replacement back to me.... nothing to pay.
Just my experience earlier this month ?

So my mavic air 2 battery died and wouldn't charge so that was getting sent in, but while on live chat i explained how back in November my drone lost signal very close to me came back and then totally disconnected from the RC and wouldn't reconnect no matter what i tried (iv had 3 different Dji drones and they always reconnect never had one not reconnect) anyway the drone way overshot the takeoff point and tried to land on the roof, the sensors realised it couldn't so the drone basically hovered for what seemed like an eternity before running out of battery landing on the sloped roof and crashing to the floor. When Dji received it then said it had 3 broke parts gimbal motor and arm (2 were just slightly scuffed) and not even the reason the drone was sent in, anyway i was quoted over €100 to repair €25 shipping and send back and the battery replaced free as it was dead, when i explained the crash and they took all my records and crash video they came back and said the repair was free of charge, last night after it has been shipped i got an email off UPS asking for £67.25 import tax for the drone, then first thing this morning UPS knocking at the door already with my drone and asking for cash or they couldn't leave it. Caught me right off guard, i thought repairs were no duty to pay only new items? Also turns out i got a new drone with a new serial number the problem must of been deeper than they thought. So yeah be carefull the drive said now it's happening all the time with brexit.

Last edited:
TheVitaminV, sorry can you clarify what happened and how many returns you are talking about, the first post says no duty, the second post 58 minutes later seem to be saying somnething entirely different. Perhaps you could also layout your second post so that it is easier to read and follow?

Reactions: TDZHDTV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803