DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impressive Result with 8 Second Exposure

js47

Reactions
Site
www.jakestarrphotography.com
In my experience, shooting exposures longer than about 1 second is risky. And anything slower than about 2s is a total crapshoot. Luckily, DJI permits up to 8s exposures with the Mavic 3, allowing us to roll our own dice.

Here is a shot I took a while back at 8s. Not a great photo, but I am delighted that it is perfectly sharp!

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 22.49.25.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 22.50.00.png

Agreed, it’s really not bad at all!

If I try slow handheld exposures in terrestrial photos I always make a few, hoping one will be sharp. Is that what you did, or just lucky with not much drone movement?

Agreed, it’s really not bad at all!

If I try slow handheld exposures in terrestrial photos I always make a few, hoping one will be sharp. Is that what you did, or just lucky with not much drone movement?

I always shoot a few identical frames if the exposure is longer than 1s. If it is windy I'll shoot redundant frames for anything slower than 1/20s. Sometimes I even have to use that technique with a camera on a sturdy tripod! I particularly remember having to take this shot about 25 times before finally getting one that was usable — that was frustrating.

I only shot this particular image 3 times (twice at 8 seconds and once at 2 seconds to have a banker). I didn't shoot more because I wasn't overly thrilled with the composition, plus multiple 8 second exposures can take a really long time! This is the only image of the 3 that was sharp so there was definitely a bit of luck involved. As a Buddhist monk once told me: "It is difficult but possible."

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 00.41.51.png

Reactions: MS Coast and SethB
I've done that too. Played with it as dusk as I was burning a battery down. Pretty amazing results. Less than a 10% success rate, but the shots that were sharp were very surprising.

Nice shot!

I always shoot a few identical frames if the exposure is longer than 1s. If it is windy I'll shoot redundant frames for anything slower than 1/20s. Sometimes I even have to use that technique with a camera on a sturdy tripod! I particularly remember having to take this shot about 25 times before finally getting one that was usable — that was frustrating.

I only shot this particular image 3 times (twice at 8 seconds and once at 2 seconds to have a banker). I didn't shoot more because I wasn't overly thrilled with the composition, plus multiple 8 second exposures can take a really long time! This is the only image of the 3 that was sharp so there was definitely a bit of luck involved. As a Buddhist monk once told me: "It is difficult but possible."

View attachment 167134
This photo of the Pensacola Lighthouse is a 2-second exposure with the 60mm (3x) lens. These drones are amazing.

Attachments

• Lighthouse Nite Zoom-July10_21.jpg
    Lighthouse Nite Zoom-July10_21.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member