DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

xsherbertx

Reactions
i’m in desperate need of help so i went to Kauai Hawaii last week to record a bunch of footage with my camera, osmo action and mavic 2 pro, and today i decided to take a look at all my drone footage that i got (which was a lot) but when i plugged in my micro sd card to my pc it said i had to format the drive.. not a good sign obviously because if i did format i’d lose all my date and videos on the drive. i really don’t wanna lose all my footage i got because it’s the whole reason i went to hawaii was to make a travel video and edit. If anyone has any advice on how i can recover my files from my micro sd card i’ll be so grateful. i don’t even care if i have to pay a thousand dollars i just want my drone footage.. i’ve used different usb converters and tried both my pc and mac but still nothing. please help

Will the drone play back the video? If so, can you use it to read the card or to upload from it onto the cloud with skypixel? (Not sure on this, so don’t try it without someone who knows commenting back on it).

i’m in desperate need of help so i went to Kauai Hawaii last week to record a bunch of footage with my camera, osmo action and mavic 2 pro, and today i decided to take a look at all my drone footage that i got (which was a lot) but when i plugged in my micro sd card to my pc it said i had to format the drive.. not a good sign obviously because if i did format i’d lose all my date and videos on the drive. i really don’t wanna lose all my footage i got because it’s the whole reason i went to hawaii was to make a travel video and edit. If anyone has any advice on how i can recover my files from my micro sd card i’ll be so grateful. i don’t even care if i have to pay a thousand dollars i just want my drone footage.. i’ve used different usb converters and tried both my pc and mac but still nothing. please help
Can you dismiss the alert and open the mounted image of your card? You could drag the pics to the desktop from there.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I'd also suggest trying a different card reader. There is recovery software out there that may help if all else fails. Whatever you do, don't save or modify the contents of the card in any way. Good luck!

To help in the future, it's always a good idea to check footage every day and use multiple memory cards.

Will the drone play back the video? If so, can you use it to read the card or to upload from it onto the cloud with skypixel? (Not sure on this, so don’t try it without someone who knows commenting back on it).
no the drone won’t even pick up that the sd card is inserted anymore

There are a lot of memory disk and card recovery services advertised online, I think of all the ones I Googled, I would trust the one SanDisk recommends the most :

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Somewhere down the road, your card seems to be corrupted. It might "just" be a software isue, in that case you can probably get acces to the data with the mentioned recovery tools.

For the future, an SD-Card is not the place to safe footage. I personally take the card out after every (foto-, video-, flight-) session and copy the footage to my macbook. This, combined with dayly backups of the system makes, that i hardly have lost footage for the past decade. This knowledge will not bring back the footage, but it might safe your bacon in the future.

Reactions: gspell and Thomas B
Maybe I'm not understanding your issue; correctly.
The card is not a drive, so I wonder if there's an issue with the component you are plugging into.
If your computer has a USB port, consider buying a card reader. You plug the micro sd into the reader, and the reader into the USB port. This is how I load my footage as my PC accept the card without it.
Otherwise, in a worst case scenario, consider consulting a photography shop nearby, or PC repair center nearby before doing anything drastic

Reactions: Drgnfli
If the card is corrupted, what I fear for, for what ever reason, it simply will be "unreadable" for any computer. It might be a problem as simple as dirty contacts on the card, but most of the time (to my experience) when a card starts playing stupid, you have simply lost, unless you are lucky enough to get acces through a recovery-tool.
As subscribed above, the card was not readable for the drone too, I would try to find peace in "total loss", even if it hurts.

If the card is corrupted, what I fear for, for what ever reason, it simply will be "unreadable" for any computer. It might be a problem as simple as dirty contacts on the card, but most of the time (to my experience) when a card starts playing stupid, you have simply lost, unless you are lucky enough to get acces through a recovery-tool.
As subscribed above, the card was not readable for the drone too, I would try to find peace in "total loss", even if it hurts.

A data recovery service can surgically repair a bad card to salvage the data, thats what the SanDisk recommended vendor specializes with in the link I provided above. Its expensive, but may be worth it to the owner depending on the value of the loss...

Can you tell us what card it is and where you bought it? I bought a card from someone that looked perfectly legitimate but it did not have a (hard to see} code, stamped in black, on the back. After speaking with the manufacturer, I came to find it was a fake card because it had no code on the black back of the SD card. It looked identical, worked the first few times, I used it, maybe two to three, then it suddenly stopped working and never did again.

Maybe you bought a fake card, there are many being sold on ebay. Maybe you should start here and then go forward. So where did you buy yours and how many times have you used it and is this the first problem you've had with it and if so, how long have you been using it? This info will greatly help those trying to help you.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
it would be helpful if you posted a picture of the microsd card, where you got it from, and the price you paid for it. if it's fake, you're definitely sol.

guys, this is a repeat of the same issues photographers have gone thru for many years, why does this have to be new all over again for drone pilots?

Can you tell us what card it is and where you bought it? I bought a card from someone that looked perfectly legitimate but it did not have a (hard to see} code, stamped in black, on the back. After speaking with the manufacturer, I came to find it was a fake card because it had no code on the black back of the SD card. It looked identical, worked the first few times, I used it, maybe two to three, then it suddenly stopped working and never did again.

Maybe you bought a fake card, there are many being sold on ebay. Maybe you should start here and then go forward. So where did you buy yours and how many times have you used it and is this the first problem you've had with it and if so, how long have you been using it? This info will greatly help those trying to help you.
Had that happen also.

Had that happen also.
Have you tried the card with a different editing program. Some editors can’t read all formats. I once had that problem only to find out I had set the format to MP4 which my editor couldn’t read and gave me the message you are receiving. I switched to another editor and hey presto ! All good .

Have you tried the card with a different editing program. Some editors can’t read all formats. I once had that problem only to find out I had set the format to MP4 which my editor couldn’t read and gave me the message you are receiving. I switched to another editor and hey presto ! All good .
No I didn't. I sent my card to Transcend for warranty rma and they informed me it was a counterfeit card. I didn't bother trying to get the data off. This was 9 years ago. At the time there was a company in Germany that specialized in sd card data recovery, but it was expensive.

I recently sent my portable harddrive to a company here in Virginia for data recovery. It was going to be $1000/Tb. Luckily, I opened the drive and fixed it myself. If you want, I can get you the name of that company?

OP, if it's giving you the option to format the sd card, you're still in good luck because it's "seeing" the drive, you just have something corrupted. Look up RescuePro Deluxe. Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards come with 2 years software access.

No I didn't. I sent my card to Transcend for warranty rma and they informed me it was a counterfeit card. I didn't bother trying to get the data off. This was 9 years ago. At the time there was a company in Germany that specialized in sd card data recovery, but it was expensive.

I recently sent my portable harddrive to a company here in Virginia for data recovery. It was going to be $1000/Tb. Luckily, I opened the drive and fixed it myself. If you want, I can get you the name of that company?

OP, if it's giving you the option to format the sd card, you're still in good luck because it's "seeing" the drive, you just have something corrupted. Look up RescuePro Deluxe. Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards come with 2 years software access.
Many thanks.

i’m in desperate need of help

xsherbertx: The warning to not attempt to alter the card's contents is probably the best advice and I hope you didn't do that before using a recovery utility.

My experience over many PC years and many memory cards has shown me that often times, the data can be recovered using one of these recovery apps. So I hope you went that route.

It probably is not just one "open" file that is causing the issue and there's a fair chance you'll never see any of those stills or video files but I know the subject matter is important to you since it was a vacation. Therefore, if it were me and I couldn't access the files with ANY card reader (so I hope you've tried more than one AND that you've tested your own card reader with a known, good card to be certain it works,) I would spend the money and let one of the professional recovery outfits have a go.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman