DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inches From Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
The goal of doing this was to film it exactly how I did. The crybabies on this forum need to deal with it. Yes I know it was not safe but I accepted the risk of what could happen.
Explain your set up, if you don't mind? The camera was on a tripod? You were positioned below the tripod, controlling the zone?
The tripod would have been the first to be impacted by the drone, a sort of barrier between the drone and your face? I believe the drone may have come within 3 inches of the camera (maybe...), but I don't believe your face was actually that close, judging by the video?
FWIW I probably put my face at a much greater risk with some of the stuff I've done on a lathe in the past...
Wear safety glasses and an Umpire's mask....

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Explain your set up, if you don't mind? The camera was on a tripod? You were positioned below the tripod, controlling the zone?
The tripod would have been the first to be impacted by the drone, a sort of barrier between the drone and your face? I believe the drone may have come within 3 inches of the camera (maybe...), but I don't believe your face was actually that close, judging by the video?
FWIW I probably put my face at a much greater risk with some of the stuff I've done on a lathe in the past...
Wear safety glasses and an Umpire's mask....
I had my phone on a dji osmo 3 mobile and it as on my stomach below the camera. The first thing that would have been it was the tripod. I was about 7 inches from it. No matter where I hit I would have most likely been fine.

Reactions: Torque
The goal of doing this was to film it exactly how I did. The crybabies on this forum need to deal with it. Yes I know it was not safe but I accepted the risk of what could happen.
Please drop the name calling. It's neither accurate nor constructive.

The crybabies on this forum need to deal with it.
Yep, man up and deal with the comments from other users. If you don't want comments, don't post on a public discussion forum.

Please drop the name calling. It's neither accurate nor constructive.

Yep, man up and deal with the comments from other users. If you don't want comments, don't post on a public discussion forum.
The crybaby’s on this forum make it seem like I have done something I haven’t. They need to deal with it. I will fly and post what I want. I don’t need to explain every little detail so that you guys don’t point out all the laws and violations I made. I calculate my own risks. 🤓

I think it is a nice video shot of something I have not seen before.

You may be taking some heat with how you went about doing it, with the less than 3 inches from my face part.
This shot could be done more safely and I think that may be other's points.

Think of the DroneXL or Drone DJ article where drone pilot hits self in face with sUAS going 40mph.

To the other poster, can't wait to see the Avata on 360.

The crybaby’s on this forum make it seem like I have done something I haven’t.
You described flying a drone at 35+ mph within three inches of your face. That's what people are responding to.
They need to deal with it. I will fly and post what I want.
Yes, by all means, post what you want. But be prepared to deal with comments from other members who may see things differently.
I don’t need to explain every little detail so that you guys don’t point out all the laws and violations I made.
No one else has mentioned laws and violations.
I calculate my own risks. 🤓
Yes, as the pilot in command that's absolutely your responsibility, as is accepting responsibility for the outcome of those decisions. And when you post a flight description here, others may comment on the decisions you made. Your statement that some people should not comment is not valid.

Last edited:
You described flying a drone at 35+ mph within three inches of your face. That's what people are responding to.

Yes, by all means, post what you want. But be prepared to deal with comments from other members who may see things differently.

No one else has mentioned laws and violations.

Yes, as the pilot in command that's absolutely your responsibility, as is accepting responsibility for the outcome of those decisions. And when you post a flight description here, others may comment on the decisions you made. Your statement that some people should not comment is not valid.
People need to calm down. I will fly how I want. I literally do not understand why people explode when I show this. It is not a big deal and was done in a safe manor.

Of course, if you were following FAA rules and flying within line of site, and had eyes on the drone at all times, this would not have been so risky, huh? Just saying .. . not telling you how to fly (cause, clearly you would not respond well if I did).

People need to calm down. I will fly how I want. I literally do not understand why people explode when I show this.
Whoa now. Easy there. You're the only person here calling names and using words like explode.
It is not a big deal and was done in a safe manor.
Well, it certainly seems to me that there are a number of folks here who just might not agree with you on the "safe manner" aspect of that.

Whoa now. Easy there. You're the only person here calling names and using words like explode.

Well, it certainly seems to me that there are a number of folks here who just might not agree with you on the "safe manner" aspect of that.
Why do other people care what I do with my own drones? I don’t care if you think it’s safe or not. If you think flying low and fast isn’t safe then wait until you find out about the FPV community 😂

Reactions: mobilehomer
The only person who was endangered was myself. I knew the risks involved with doing this and decided that it was worth it for me. Deal with it.
If you choose to do this type of video again, I really hope you have a plastic surgeon on speed dial. 😉

Why do other people care what I do with my own drones? I don’t care if you think it’s safe or not. If you think flying low and fast isn’t safe then wait until you find out about the FPV community 😂
No one has said flying low and fast was a problem. Some of us do have a concern with flying 3" from a human face at 42 mph, even if it's not our own.

No one has said flying low and fast was a problem. Some of us do have a concern with flying 3" from a human face at 42 mph, even if it's not our own.
I think people are confusing above and in front of. Yes I was 3 inches below the flight path but I had a tripod and huge camera upfront of me? I know for a fact that if it were to crash into the camera I would be unscathed.

I think people are confusing above and in front of. Yes I was 3 inches below the flight path but I had a tripod and huge camera upfront of me?
It wasn't necessary to be behind the camera at all. Hit record and step aside.
I know for a fact that if it were to crash into the camera I would be unscathed.
That might possibly be true only if your head is no larger than the camera.

If we do accept that you were completely safe, then we have to say that the title "Inches From Disaster" is simply hyperbolic sensationalism. Flying low and fast over the camera makes for an interesting video clip. Putting your head behind the camera is just a stunt.

It wasn't necessary to be behind the camera at all. Hit record and step aside.

That might possibly be true only if your head is no larger than the camera.

If we do accept that you were completely safe, then we have to say that the title "Inches From Disaster" is simply hyperbolic sensationalism. Flying low and fast over the camera makes for an interesting video clip. Putting your head behind the camera is just a stunt.
Ok 👍

Reactions: MS Coast
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190