DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incredible climbing video - anyone know more about the drone work?

Jim D

Reactions
Fantastic video of a difficult first ascent in the Himalaya. The first I've seen on such a climb incorporating drone shots (controlled by a pilot at base camp).

So far I haven't been able to find any info on the drone pilot, or what equipment he used. This is quite high altitude, very cold, and from interviews with David it sounds like it was very windy on summit day so the footage is even more incredible given those curcumstances.

Snooping around, I found the climb was sponsored by Red Bull. Still photos of the climb are credited to Sean Haverstock. According to Sean's website, he is "a Lake Tahoe, CA based drone, MoVI and jib operator for motion productions." He lists this:
Part 107 certificated remote pilot
Freefly Alta, DJI Inspire 2, Phantom, and Mavic pilot
MoVI Pro, M15, M10, M5 operator
Jib Operator
Tech troubleshooting wizard
https://www.seanhaverstock.com/about

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Fantastic video of a difficult first ascent in the Himalaya. The first I've seen on such a climb incorporating drone shots (controlled by a pilot at base camp).

So far I haven't been able to find any info on the drone pilot, or what equipment he used. This is quite high altitude, very cold, and from interviews with David it sounds like it was very windy on summit day so the footage is even more incredible given those curcumstances.
Awesome climb and footage!

Awesome footage![emoji1474][emoji16]

This climb is in a current NG article I read last night. This wasn't just the 1st time Lama had summited Lunag Ri, it is the 1st time anyone had.

Last edited:
Would be one of the best videos I have ever seen. My knees were shaking watching. I would have been stuck on the final part forever too frightened to move. Congratulations!!!

I like the scenery, and the drama of it was exceptional, especially as they used the audio from the climber to capture ambient sounds, and most of all, by the use of no music. One forgets that sometimes just the background sounds can be the most dramatic part.

Oh Gawd, that is awesome !
Such an emotional climb.

I just had a google, apparently the footage was by "a drone navigated from advanced BC", but no mention of what drone.
Edit, reading this post . . .
. . . it would probably be the Freefly Alta used, looking at the power of it.

That is not a very high peak at 6907m as far as thinness of air goes, think the 8000ndrs would have trouble flying.

great images but I couldn’t help thinking that an avalanche could happen at anytime. Not for me

Dead right, look at 1:13, above him looks like it could go anytime.

As much as I want to push a bit more altitude to test myself, this is too much risk for me, but obviously the rewards for this fellow were right up there.

A good read, coming down would be even more difficult, he abseiled, not sure if he could have had enough rope to retrieve (leaving only carabiners / protection), but may have even left ropes in place.
The sat image of that peak shows the remoteness, on the Tibet border west of Everest, but still in Sagarmatha NP.

Lunag_Ri.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000