DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

India and Australia...any experience here?

Thekidd76

Reactions
I've done some googling and find lots of conflicting info on what I need to do to travel with my drone. Hoping someone here has some first hand experience with it. I'll be traveling to Mumbai, then Chennai, and from there to Sydney. I don't want to break any laws and definitely don't want my drone confiscated. Anyone have any experience?

Australia is easy, drones are all legit to own, carry, etc . . . drone can be in cabin or checked baggage, all batteries in cabin, I just put them in separate small ziplock bags to isolate terminals from each other.
If flying Emirates you may (will) have to put drone into checked hold bag.

Licensing isn't in yet in Oz, so you should be right just following CASA regs to fly . . .

Download the 'Can I Fly There' app, and check this before going to fly places in advance (remote and no internet = it doesn't work).

That's basically what I saw for Australia also. My main concern at this point is India since that's my first stop.

India did have a full drone ban a while back (couple of years), but think I read it was lifted recently, probably realised there would be an impact on some tourism numbers, albeit small.

You googled India drone regulations ?
I get these . . .

Funny enough no results from their GOVCO easily found.
These should give you a start and see what else you can find.

India did have a full drone ban a while back (couple of years), but think I read it was lifted recently, probably realised there would be an impact on some tourism numbers, albeit small.

You googled India drone regulations ?
I get these . . .

Funny enough no results from their GOVCO easily found.
These should give you a start and see what else you can find.

Yes I've seen all these. Was hoping someone had some first-hand experience recently with traveling to India from the states with the drone and getting through customs. Was looking for any positive or negative experiences before making the call on whether or not to take it. Thanks for the help though.

So the short answer with India was I would have been better off not taking it. They gave me grief over it coming into Mumbai, leaving Mumbai to Chennai, and then arriving in Chennai. Ultimately I got to take it with me, but they were saying I shouldn't have it, should have filed paperwork before entering, owed a tax, etc. None of which I could really find any info on beforehand. Australia was no issue.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound