DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor flying, taking off from above ground level

flysi3000

Reactions
I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro indoors at a trade show during setup this morning (with the blessing of the organizers, etc). I set RTH to hover, and all the steps shown in this video; I took off from a 2nd floor balcony, though, and kept getting a message that the aircraft had exceeded its maximum height, and it would automatically drop a few inches. No harm done, but it did make me super nervous while flying. I want to understand what's happening, as it made me feel like I don't have full control of the aircraft.

I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro indoors at a trade show during setup this morning (with the blessing of the organizers, etc). I set RTH to hover,
You cannot set RTH to anything.
You chose the Hover option for Loss of Signal.
and kept getting a message that the aircraft had exceeded its maximum height, and it would automatically drop a few inches. ... I want to understand what's happening, as it made me feel like I don't have full control of the aircraft.
Your altitude will be restricted if you fly without GPS.
Page 56 of your manual explains it:
Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.
If you had disabled the downward sensors, your altitude restriction would have been less.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I often take off before getting a full GPS signal. Because of this, my drone will only go up to around 100ft. Then I have to wait for more GPS satellites to be detected. Once this occurs, I am free to go to higher in altitude and distance. The drone only sets the HOME POINT when it has enough GPS satellites detected.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird