DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Infinity Focus is blur

niki

Reactions
Site
www.goldenskybirds.com
Hi all, I was looking around about what manual infinity focus looks like by default on Mavic? In mine it's total blur when on infinity and the horizon get in focus around the middle of the focus slider, is that normal? I've tried to fix that by calibrating camera gimbal and IMU but there's no difference.

If infinity puts everything in blur, what's its purpose?

It's just the physical maximum of the lens adjustment... the same thing applies to 35mm lenses, they mostly focus past infinity..

It's just the physical maximum of the lens adjustment... the same thing applies to 35mm lenses, they mostly focus past infinity..

My misconception of infinity was that everything beyond 30 or so feet would always be in focus. I’m flying Litchi missions and am struggling keeping all distant objects in focus. Not happy with the mavic focus abilities at the moment.

Normal lenses do have everything in focus while set on infinity!
There are some manufacturers that make their lenses focus ring to be able to rotate beyond the infinity mark so to have slight margin but that is a different story.
Mavic lens is definitely wrong if not able to be set to infinity especially when there is a button for that.

I’m flying Litchi missions and am struggling keeping all distant objects in focus

It's annoying isn't it?

I start on FPV (I've stopped using DJI Go for anything) I climb to about 30 metres then frame so I can see something on the horizon that has high contrast and something similar in the foreground.

Keeping an eye on these two references I place autofocus square about a third of the way towards the horizon and check for overall sharpness, using references.

When it's nailed - you can check by taking a still and zooming in to it on your device - switch to "manual" focus. This should stop it changing for your mission. Switch to Waypoint and load your mission (without landing and switching drone off) check your screen again before hitting play.

You don't have to do it in the air if you can already see the horizon, worth doing it that way because battery power is precious.

Key is use AF to focus then switch to MF. I believe the Mavic still attempts to refocus in AF Mode when hovering with djigo4. When this happens Mavic may try to focus on sky with a high chance of not getting the correct focus. But it will lock there.

Also the AF needs good contrast to hit correctly. Make sure you have a brightly lit enought subject.

Paul C

Many DSLR and MF lenses will physically focus past the infinity mark. Others like Zeiss hard stop at the infinity mark.

Obviously infinity is a mixed term in this usage.

Paul Caldwell

Many DSLR and MF lenses will physically focus past the infinity mark. Others like Zeiss hard stop at the infinity mark.

Obviously infinity is a mixed term in this usage.

Paul Caldwell

"Past the infinity mark" being the key as you realised. Because of course you can't focus past infinity or it wouldn't be infinity would it. All that's happening is that the lens group goes out of focus again past that infinity mark. The ability for a lens to do that is simply because its physical dimensions and characteristics can change with heat or cold, changing the point at which focus is achieved for a given distance so the actual infinity point can sometimes be before or after that lens mark - given the copious amount of plastic in the Mavic there must be a great deal of expansion and contraction going on so it doesn't surprise me that infinity isn't always where the app or controls would suggest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore