DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Info on canadian pilot flying in US

Garpaul

Reactions
Hello I am new to this forum and would like so info. I am going to arizona in may and would like to fly my mavic mini.My question is as a canadian certified pilot am I allowed to fly in the US and if not what would I have to do to fly.
Thanks,any info would be appreciated

Hello I am new to this forum and would like so info. I am going to arizona in may and would like to fly my mavic mini.My question is as a canadian certified pilot am I allowed to fly in the US and if not what would I have to do to fly.

There are many experts in these forums, I'm sure you will receive an authoritative answer quickly...enjoy AZ.

You don't need a remote pilot certificate unless you're doing commercial work, and you don't need to register the 249g Mini, so you're good to go. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Bekanne
Hi I am going to scottsdale for a week vacation and would like to get some good video, I am bringing the mini just for convenience as my mavic 2 zoom is bulky and also I am quite impressed with the video from the mini

Hi I am going to scottsdale for a week vacation and would like to get some good video, I am bringing the mini just for convenience as my mavic 2 zoom is bulky and also I am quite impressed with the video from the mini
Recommend the Superstition Mtns and the Mogollon Rim. You should see them anyway...
Recommend not flying in Scottsdale proper, especially the quarter.

Reactions: RogerDH
Be aware that recreational drones are banned in all US national parks and all Arizona state parks, but they are allowed in national forests (so the Superstition Mountains and the Mogollon Rim are cool).

Reactions: Bekanne and Mrmund
Be aware that recreational drones are banned in all US national parks and all Arizona state parks, but they are allowed in national forests (so the Superstition Mountains and the Mogollon Rim are cool).
And at the Superstitions you’ll need to hike about 1/2 mile to get out of the state park.

Reactions: Mrmund
PLEASE fly better than most Canadians drive! The blue and white plates send terror through our community when the snow birds appear.....hard to be worse than a FL driver but they manage to exceed expectations daily...(enjoy your trip)!

Please dont put all Canadians in the same boat and I will do the same with Americans.
Enjoy the sun as it is 14 below here today.:cool:

Hi Garpaul.

I contacted the FAA last October regarding bringing my P3s with me to California. My drone is registered in Canada and I have my “Basic“ drone operators license, which I had stated in my request for information on flying my drone legally while in the U.S.
Shown below is the reply I received. Hope this helps.

BTW. Got the Mavic Mini at Christmas, so am currently flying that in the sunny Palm Springs area. Much easier to pack around than the P3s. But certainly enjoy flying both.
———————————————————————————————————————————————-

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Dear Sir:

If you are a foreign national and wish to fly your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Recreational Exception the agency will consider the certificate that is issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration. These conditions are consistent with and impose no greater burden than the requirements imposed on U.S. citizens conducting model aircraft operations in the U.S. The aeronautical knowledge test for recreational flyers is not available at this time. The test will be available soon.

Thanks fun flyer
So is it correct that I would need a US license if I was to bring my mavic 2 zoom ,but with the mavic mini I am ok without.
Thanks again

My interpretation of what they sent me was that since I am registered and licensed in Canada, there was no need to register in the U.S. I’m thinking they would have stated in the email if registration in the U.S. was required. (But I could be wrong)
Maybe someone on the forum can enlighten us both.
Happy flying.

I had the same question because there are some Great places to fly drones just across the border from where I live - so I contacted the FAA directly - here is their response.
Your drone will have to be registered in the USA ($5.00 charge) but no license is needed at this time. I believe the Licensing requirement will change in the near future.

9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA) <[email protected]>
Mon 18/11/2019 8:29 AM
  • You

Hello,

Since you are registered in the U.S. you wouldn’t need special permission to fly as a Recreational Flyer as long as you follow all the Recreational Flyers rules.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Please follow up with any further inquiries at: [email protected].

Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).

We appreciate your Feedback. Please select:UAS Safety and Integration Division AUS-400.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31