DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insect repellent for your MAVIC?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

Today, I spent the better half of the afternoon trying to get good shots of the spot where the rivers Rhine and Sieg meet. Part of that involved flying and hovering near ground at about 6 - 8 meters. At the end of it all, my bird was covered with squashed insects. I know some one has made a rain coat for the phantom, so there is bound to be an insect repellent for for the MAVIC. Or should I start a kick starter for it?

Reactions: Captain Lou
If you are serious, it is less a case of bugs being attracted to it and more a case of bugs being sucked into it. I think all you could do is perhaps wax it to make it easier to clean.

If you are serious, it is less a case of bugs being attracted to it and more a case of bugs being sucked into it. I think all you could do is perhaps wax it to make it easier to clean.

I have to tell you I live out here in Utah and there’s very few bugs or other animals for that matter around. But when I take my Mavic out in the summer it’s like they come out of everywhere! They get into my car as I’m bringing it in with me and it’s gross! Never happens when I don’t have the Mavic. I seriously think they must think it’s the queen bug or something because it’s a bug magnetic ? ? ?. I’m being 100% serious

Bret gets it. It really is like they take it for a mighty super queen.
it is less a case of bugs being attracted to it and more a case of bugs being sucked into it. I think all you could do is perhaps wax it to make it easier to clean.
How about a bug zapper then? One can power it from the battery perhaps?

I have to tell you I live out here in Utah and there’s very few bugs or other animals for that matter around. But when I take my Mavic out in the summer it’s like they come out of everywhere! They get into my car as I’m bringing it in with me and it’s gross! Never happens when I don’t have the Mavic. I seriously think they must think it’s the queen bug or something because it’s a bug magnetic ???. I’m being 100% serious
You should live in Florida with all their LOVE BUGS, now there is a bug to deal with.

Bugs, especially those black armor-coated bad boys, are the reason I always have an inexpensive UV filter on the camera lens to save it from scratches.

Living in Seattle I have forgotten how bad the bugs can get. There are so few bugs out here that many houses don't have screens for their windows. I grew up in Kansas where there are a lot of bugs, but they also have a lot more song birds that eat them. It will be interesting to follow this thread to read the experiences of others.

... But when I take my Mavic out in the summer it’s like they come out of everywhere! They get into my car as I’m bringing it in with me and it’s gross! Never happens when I don’t have the Mavic...
There are electronic devices that claim to repel bugs, so if they really work then I guess it is also possible that an electronic device could attract bugs. It will be interesting reading to see if others share your experience.

Last edited:
Having just finished another flight in the middle of some farms, I can say with absolute confidence that bugs actively seek the mavic air; they were actually flying up to get to it. Was fun ascending every time they cought up to it and watch them fly to it again and again and again. I wish I had filmed it but my phone was in the remote controller. I think the sound it makes is irresistible to them.

that many houses don't have screens for their windows

What kind of magic is that!! ?

Lots of bugs here in VA, as soon as the weather warms up even the slightest bit they all come out and stay until around October / November time.

Just a thought, could a sponge or other absorbent material, such as cotton balls, be soaked in a repellant and then wrung out to be attached to the bird as a back pack?
Could citronella oil for lanterns be used as the repellant?

Pat

...Lots of bugs here in VA, as soon as the weather warms up even the slightest bit they all come out and stay until around October / November time.
In western Washington state, unless you are close to standing water, there are very few bugs. In summer I can leave my doors wide open and only a few flies may come in. One down side is there is also a lack of songbirds that eat the bugs. The last time I visited Kansas in summer I was surprised by the volume and variety of bird song. I don't miss the bugs but do miss the birds.

Reactions: naiku
Just a thought, could a sponge or other absorbent material, such as cotton balls, be soaked in a repellant and then wrung out to be attached to the bird as a back pack?
Could citronella oil for lanterns be used as the repellant?

Pat
That's the spirit! Keep them ideas flowing. Anything and everything is acceptable at this stage.

You might be on to something. Worth experimenting next time I fly. Does Sport mode turn them off?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman