DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting....a Note 8 has 1240 nits peak brightness

dcpmark

Reactions
Sold my goggles, and was thinking about picking up a 5.5 CS. I'm currently using a Note 5 as my dedicated display now, and noticed this about the new Note 8:

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note8 produces up to a very impressive 1,240 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured, and 22% Brighter than the Galaxy S8. As a result of its very high Automatic Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note8 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 122 to 270, also the highest that we have ever measured for a Smartphone display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for the measurements and details. The much higher Peak Brightness of over 1,200 nits is also used to provide High Dynamic Range HDR, which we discuss next...

Galaxy Note8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

I wonder if it would make for a better Mavic display than a 5.5 CS. I know that it takes a huge battery hit at peak brightness, so i wonder how long it would last.

Sold my goggles, and was thinking about picking up a 5.5 CS. I'm currently using a Note 5 as my dedicated display now, and noticed this about the new Note 8:

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note8 produces up to a very impressive 1,240 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured, and 22% Brighter than the Galaxy S8. As a result of its very high Automatic Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note8 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 122 to 270, also the highest that we have ever measured for a Smartphone display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for the measurements and details. The much higher Peak Brightness of over 1,200 nits is also used to provide High Dynamic Range HDR, which we discuss next...

Galaxy Note8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

I wonder if it would make for a better Mavic display than a 5.5 CS. I know that it takes a huge battery hit at peak brightness, so i wonder how long it would last.

I've read somewhere that the high brightness duration is short due to heat...so it may not be great if you plan on flying in bright sunlight, in the heat, for a long period of time. I was also considering the note 8, but am still looking for reviews of its performance in bright sunlight.

Yep if it's like previous models it's likely limited to a couple of minutes of "quick check something on my phone" at a time, not prolonged use due to power draw/heat/accelerated screen wear reasons.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
It’s not good at all. This is peak brightness. It can’t sustain that brightness for very long. Even if it could your phone’s battery will be empty in no time. It’s a high power display and will drain fast.

It’s not good at all. This is peak brightness. It can’t sustain that brightness for very long. Even if it could your phone’s battery will be empty in no time. It’s a high power display and will drain fast.

Yep if it's like previous models it's likely limited to a couple of minutes of "quick check something on my phone" at a time, not prolonged use due to power draw/heat/accelerated screen wear reasons.

Well, according to the article it uses the peak brightness for HDR, meaning it must be able to sustain that level for as long as you need it to, but as I said in my OP I agree that your battery must take a big hit. Maybe a extended battery case would help? My Note 5 maintains its peak brightness but I can’t stop it from draining the RC as it keeps charging.

OLED works very differently form an LCD... an LCD that needs 1000nit needs backlight that constantly works at full power to give out 1000nit on a white image, while OLED will only put out full power to the actually white pixels, which typically is a small part of the image and it won't last more than a few seconds per zone as the scene will then change to something else. Perfect for movies, but not for GUIs with constantly fully white elements.

Reactions: Qoncussion

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming