Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intresting Toroidal Prop Design

Torque

Premium Pilot
Reactions
South of Seattle & North of Tacoma, Washington
Just saw this article and thought you may find it as interesting as I did:

Interesting, and made strong or flexible enough they’d be less likely to get tangled in trees or wires

The 8-shape propellor doesn't look very foldable in its current form. But I'm sure DJI (and others) will be doing tests with variations of this concept. Maybe it also works when splitting the "8" into two halfs (like the current propellors on drones).
I'm sure we will see these new propellors appear on newer drones, because I think it would convince a lot of drone pilots to buy a new bird, just for the reduced noise level. When this will happen is another question.

I'm wondering if these new propellors would also work on existing drones, as a third party add-on (Master AirScrew?). I'd buy that in an instant.

Interesting!
Just saw this article and thought you may find it as interesting as I did:

Just finished reading the article. Yes, I would buy a set !! Thanks for posting !

Reactions: Torque
The MIT highlight release on this design had some key points...
-------
KEY FEATURES
• Decreases signals in the frequency range to which humans are most sensitive
• Reduces noise without requiring supplementary components that add weight and increase power draw
• Lessens the likelihood that the spinning propeller will cut, catch, or clip objects or surfaces in the drone’s path
• Achieves thrust comparable to that of a multirotor drone propeller
• Allows reliable fabrication with additive [3D printing] manufacturing techniques that make it possible to customize the propeller for various multirotor models and types

Our quiet toroidal propeller consists of two blades looping together so that the tip of one blade curves back into the other. This closed-form structure minimizes the drag effects of swirling air tunnels (i.e., vortices) created at the tips of blades and strengthens the overall stiffness of the propeller. These features reduce the propeller’s acoustic signature.

Tests of prototype toroidal propellers on commercial quadcopters demonstrated thrust levels comparable to those of conventional propellers at similar power levels. Reduced sound levels allowed toroidal-propeller- equipped drones to operate without taxing human hearing at a distance half that of typical operation.

I'm subscribed to this YouTube channel (quadmovr) and this one just new came up on my recommended.
He totally builds his own drones, usually flying all VLOS . . .

He flies in this video with his 3D printed props, and then compares to 8 bladed props.
And boy, does he fly well !

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I'm subscribed to this YouTube channel (quadmovr) and this one just new came up on my recommended.
He totally builds his own drones, usually flying all VLOS . . .

He flies in this video with his 3D printed props, and then compares to 8 bladed props.
And boy, does he fly well !

I thought the 8 bladed props were quieter. Maybe just me. :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I thought the 8 bladed props were quieter. Maybe just me. :)

Agree, a lower pitch perhaps.

I think the point in post #10 about safety should be a key positive for drone pilots . . .

Lessens the likelihood that the spinning propeller will cut, catch, or clip objects or surfaces in the drone’s path.

Especially where flights with approval involving people, these props are going to be a lot less likely to do harm to human flesh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe