DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Introducing Dronelink

Sorry, that was a link to our Beta topic in the Dronelink forums. You can post here too if you want.

If you have a list in your mission plan, you can edit it directly in the mission plan. If the list was included from a repository, you can also edit it directly in your mission plan, but just know that if you go back to the version of the list saved off in your repository, it will not have the changes that you made to the copy of it in your plan. If you decide to make changes to the repo version, you will be prompted that changes are available the next time you open the plan. Then you have to decide if you want to overwrite the plan copy of the list with the one from the repo.

Sticky markers is one of the items on the roadmap. There are cases where people want the current behavior, and other cases where it should be "sticky", meaning attempt to place the marker on the closest GPS coordinate on the path after the path has been warped.

Can you submit a support ticket with a link to this plan so we can confirm?

All of the options out there are currently full-sensor. Any ideas on how to implement this? For example, could make a separate drop down saying if you are in photo or video?
Thanks for replying - I will continue the dialogue on the Beta forum.

Here is one I have wanted to do by hand for a long time; just wasn't coordinated enough. DL made it pretty easy.

Nice video.

And not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around automated flying.

Could you have accomplished the same using a POI and increasing altitiude at same time?

I just don't see myself wanting to automate, as it is I am nervous enough in manual and wouldn't be comfortable letting it go and having a bird start going after it etc. Would think I would want to be able to react and manage my flight. I can see a use for mapping or farming applications but for normal flight?

Again nice video.

Looking forward to see ver. 1.0.
Will test the beta version soon.

Is there any indication of pricing?

How does the application react to Wifi setting if FCC mode is used in a CE country (MavicAIR). The GO4 app ask if you want to change, and you can say yes or no.. Autopilot just chances it.

Best regards

Could you have accomplished the same using a POI and increasing altitiude at same time?
Anything that autonomous software does (including DJI’s) can be flown manually. You can turn on DJI Go and fly and manually orbit around something while rising in altitude. It’s 3-4 stick movements plus tilting the gimbal with the knob plus turning the camera off and on. You are comparing third-party autonomous software in general to DJI running POI (which is basically an autonomous mode from DJI). DJI’s POI / Orbit will automate the flight path and then you can lightly press on the left stick to rise in altitude and that will emulate the shot that Greg did.

Here’s a small sample what Dronelink provides on top of that:
  1. It can automate ALL the functions - including altitude rise, gimbal tilt, as well as all camera actions (resetting camera, proper shooting settings, starting camera, stopping camera, etc.)
  2. It can ensure consistency in your actions (it can be tough to press that altitude rise exactly the same the whole way.)
  3. You can preview the mission via the 3D mission previewer from your iPad / Desktop and get really make sure you’re getting the shot.
  4. You can save that exact mission and run it again at another time / drone / pilot.
  5. You can actually save the “component” and easy apply that same path / mission / commands to a different location in a few clicks / taps.
  6. You can collaboratively share and enhance your mission with others (as described in the videos, think of Dronelink as “Github for Drones”).
Is there any indication of pricing?
We haven't decided on a pricing model yet as we are more focused on creating a great product that people love and getting to public launch ASAP. That said, we very much want to go with pricing that ensures the long term sustainability and maintenance of the product, which rules out one-time payment models like Autopilot and Litchi. Our goal is to make Dronelink accessible to a wide range of users and we feel like other options, such as UgCS, are out of reach for most pilots. The primary value proposition for a subscription is three-fold:
  1. Guaranteed updates when new hardware is released
  2. Continuous innovation with new features rolled out on a regular basis - and allowing the community to vote on which features come first
  3. Access to a growing network of like-minded users that are collaborating to push the envelope of flight automation

How does the application react to Wifi setting if FCC mode is used in a CE country (MavicAIR). The GO4 app ask if you want to change, and you can say yes or no.. Autopilot just chances it.
Dronelink expects you to have configured advanced, one-time settings like this previously in DJI GO as it is not intended to be a DJI GO replacement at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNielsen
We implemented the first roadmap feature - sticky markers - which is the new default. If you open a marker and expand the advanced settings, you will see a new option called "Positioning" with the default as "Nearest Coordinate". This means that as you warp the path, Dronelink will attempt to position the marker at the nearest GPS coordinate to where the marker was before you started warping the path. We also updated the behavior of where the markers end up after scaling the path - now they scale with the path so they maintain their relative positions to where they were before scaling.

Hope you enjoy!

Reactions: HawkEye76 and Dan C
As a newbie, I DL'd Dronelink to my cell phone and Tablet. Then realized phone, GS7 Android is too small, ASUS tablet is also too small. Keep fat fingering too many way points and can't delete them. Tried to load on my Dell G7 laptop and get, Email address already in use.

If I delete app from phone can I add laptop? Only 2 devices?

Tried to load on my Dell G7 laptop and get, Email address already in use.
You need to log in with the same account you already created. You can do a password reset if needed.

If I delete app from phone can I add laptop? Only 2 devices?
Are you speaking of the native app, or the web app? Right now there is no restriction on the number of installs.

Hi its just keeps crashing on android s9 note . Any suggestions
Is it crashing immediately on launch or later? If immediately, this is probably the issue, if later you probably have an old build and need to update it from the original download link.

You need to log in with the same account you already created. You can do a password reset if needed.

Are you speaking of the native app, or the web app? Right now there is no restriction on the number of installs.

Is it crashing immediately on launch or later? If immediately, this is probably the issue, if later you probably have an old build and need to update it from the original download link.
Hi yep I've just downloaded 65 bit Version from somewhere and now it's working will test flight later cheers looks awesome

Reactions: dronelink
Yes, but there seems to be a recent issue with getting the live video feed. We are investigating.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi Jim,

I have several things to raise.

THANKS!
Seriously... this project is like a breath of fresh air. I'm very enthusiastic about it, and I like where it is going.

DRONELINK FORUM
I can't log in to it. I have registered in the Beta, and have been working on a mission, but even going to the forum from this interface, the forum asks me to login. Is it supposed to be a different login?

Cookies
I've seen others talking about the "Cookies must be enabled" issue. When trying to log into the forum, I'm getting that warning too. I once clicked on the "click here to enable them" just to see what would happen. Answer, nothing I could detect.

After a failed attempt to log in, no links on the page work until I reload it. Very strange behavior. Maybe that means something to you?

I'll wait for an answer as to whether or not I need to create a new login seperate from the Beta before I press forward there.

It is relevant that I use Firefox. I have my security such that it accepts cookies from visited sites, but rejects cookies from unvisited websites, and it removes all cookies when I shut it down. I wish to make it as hard as possible for trackers.

I would be willing to set Dronelink as an exception, and allow permanent cookies.

I am not willing to install Chrome. Like others here, I have no love it.

QUESTIONS

Orbits
I've been trying to add an orbit to a mission, and I've watched your "How to..." video on the subject a few times, but I'm not getting the same results.

One obvious difference is that when you add the component, you get a solid blue line, just like the rest of your path, to the start of the orbit. I've got a dotted blue line. And if I set another waypoint, it does not come from the orbit, but comes from the waypoint before it.

I have no clue what I've done wrong. ?

SUGGESTIONS

Orbits
Just as you've done with the height, allowing an initial and final altitude, I'd like to see an initial and final radius.

Physical Waypointing
Okay, I recognize that there is no editing capability within the drone device app at this time, so this is a potential future request...

One of the features I really find useful about Litchi (pardon my language) is the ability to fly my drone somewhere, position it and orient it as I want, then press a programmed button on my controller to set a way point recording the drone's current position and orientation, then fly to another position and orientation, click for next waypoint, and so on.

The huge advantage of this is that you know where the drone is, and that it is high enough, and is not in the middle of a tree, etcetera. You know what your direction of facing is, and that you are not too close or too far from whatever you wish to capture. In other words, you can frame your subject precisely, and know that is correct too.

But they don't capture gimbal angle! This essential ingredient is missing. Forum commenters seem to claim this can't be done, or something.

But Dronelink does!

As a possible early solution, I notice that Litchi (pardon my language) allows for the exporting of missions into multiple formats. I would be perfectly willing to create a basic flight path in Litchi (pardon my language) and bring that into Dronelink for fine tuning. You could incorporate altitudes during the import process by simply adding an appropriate marker, say immediately prior to the corresponding waypoint.

Something I've already found useful is to make a path in this way, then fly it without any facing commands. Just let the drone look straight ahead as it runs the path. This is an excellent way to double check for obstacles. Sometimes, I might not have flown a straight line between waypoints, or the curving of the path changes the physical locations enough to bring the drone too close to obstacles.

Flying the mission under program control, but forward-facing, is a good final safety check. Then I can save the mission, which uploads it to Litchi (pardon my language) server where I can load it up on my laptop for editing.

I'd love to be able to import that raw data into Dronelink for real editing.

Bonus Suggestion
In Dronelink, I'd like to see an option to fly a mission with any heading commands disabled.

What about that new building erected since the last Goggle map photo update? Or a tree that grew recently? Or the guy-wire of that radio tower you didn't know about?

If I want to get down lower to the features (and I do), it behooves me to carefully fly the mission looking straight ahead for obstacles first.

So... can we have an option to suppress all commands except the 4D flight path? (X, Y, Z + speed)

Looking forward to your answers, and to doing my humble part in helping with the Beta process.

FYI, I'm a US citizen, but I have a home in Kazakhstan, and work in Central China. I bought my Mavic Air in Nursultan (formerly Astana) barely 10 days ago, but as I'm on summer break (advantages of being a teacher - long holidays) I've been at this stuff non-stop. If I'm not sleeping, I'm flying, reading manuals, researching online, reading forums, or watching informational YouTube videos.

I don't know if my geographical location is relevant in any way, but there it.

Blue Skies, everyone
Dan C

Seriously... this project is like a breath of fresh air. I'm very enthusiastic about it, and I like where it is going.
Thanks for the kind words!

I can't log in to it. I have registered in the Beta, and have been working on a mission, but even going to the forum from this interface, the forum asks me to login. Is it supposed to be a different login?
Unfortunately yes, the app and the support center use two different authentication systems.

I've seen others talking about the "Cookies must be enabled" issue.
Cookies are required to login to the support center, which is out of our control (this is how Zendesk works). You need to add dronelink as an exception.

One obvious difference is that when you add the component, you get a solid blue line, just like the rest of your path, to the start of the orbit. I've got a dotted blue line. And if I set another waypoint, it does not come from the orbit, but comes from the waypoint before it.
All Orbits include an approach (which itself is a Destination component), meaning they will have a dotted blue line leading up to the circle. If this was not the case in the video it was either a rendering issue or a bug. Do you have a link to the exact spot in the video that shows this? As for setting another waypoint, I am not sure I am following. Orbit components do not have waypoints. Can you send a link to the mission plan in question so we can take a look?

Just as you've done with the height, allowing an initial and final altitude, I'd like to see an initial and final radius.
Will add the feature request to the roadmap. You can submit more feature requests here.

I want, then press a programmed button on my controller to set a way point recording the drone's current position and orientation, then fly to another position and orientation, click for next waypoint, and so on.
This is on the product roadmap under the Mission Generation heading. Remember to click each item to read the descriptions and place your votes. In the meantime, check out this video showing how to do this exact thing with the simulated drone.

Flying the mission under program control, but forward-facing, is a good final safety check.
We completely agree. In fact we already created this feature in the native app. Tap the ... in the top right corner of a mission plan and then tap Load Verification. The app will automatically generate a brand new mission plan based on the original mission plan, but where the drone faces forward the whole time!

Cookies are required to login to the support center, which is out of our control (this is how Zendesk works). You need to add dronelink as an exception.
Solved. Thank you.

We completely agree. In fact we already created this feature in the native app. Tap the ... in the top right corner of a mission plan and then tap Load Verification. The app will automatically generate a brand new mission plan based on the original mission plan, but where the drone faces forward the whole time!
Oops. Sorry for that.

-----

Okay, you asked about the Orbit path line. Here's your video time indexed to where you are about to place the Orbit component...

Inserting Orbit Component

It looks to be a solid line in the video.

Here is the link to the plan I'm working on...

Astana Flight Plan

Here is what the problem part looks like for me...

Pathing Issue.PNG

The order in which I created this was Waypoint M, then the Orbit component, then Waypoint N. Before adding "N", the dotted line ran from M to Approach 2. Once I added my next waypoint to continue elsewhere, however, the path changed to M - N - Orbit.

The Orbit I programmed is for 450 deg, so I expected the path to exit from this component on the side closest to "N". At least, that is my goal.

I'm setting myself down to watch your other 3 videos now. Perhaps something in there will solve this problem for me.

Thank you for your patience.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi,

I have downloaded the Dronlink app through the web-page link. Shows as 1.0.0.33 on Android. When I start it, I can login and see the missions I have made etc. This works nicely when I have not connected the remote controller.

However, if I plug in the remote (for a MP1), the standard USB dialog to select what program to start pops up. I hit "Dronelink & Just Once", and every time I do that, the app crashes immediately (before anything UI is started). Hence I have not yet managed to fly/test any mission...but I am looking forward to that! Note that I have no problem starting DJI Go4 or Litchi on the same phone, also using the USB popup and selecting "Just once".

For reference, the phone is a Pixel 3, Android 9.

Thanks for all the hard work with this!

Solved. Thank you.

Oops. Sorry for that.

-----

Okay, you asked about the Orbit path line. Here's your video time indexed to where you are about to place the Orbit component...

Inserting Orbit Component

Here is the link to the plan I'm working on...

Astana Flight Plan

Here is what the problem part looks like for me...

View attachment 79002

The order in which I created this was Waypoint M, then the Orbit component, then Waypoint N. Before adding "N", the dotted line ran from M to Approach 2. Once I added my next waypoint to continue elsewhere, however, the path changed to M - N - Orbit.

The Orbit I programmed is for 450 deg, so I expected the path to exit from this component on the side closest to "N". At least, that is my goal.

I'm setting myself down to watch your other 3 videos now. Perhaps something in there will solve this problem for me.

Thank you for your patience.

I too am a newbie with DL, so take this with a grain of salt. At this point Orbits to not integrate well with WP missions. As you noticed it set up another approach which interrupts the flow of the mission.

I know they have plans to make Orbit tools available inside a Path plan as they get to it. This is still BETA with much work to do to get all the features everyone wants integrated in useful ways.

Reactions: Dan C
That was just a rendering issue in the video, it should be corrected in later videos.

You cannot put an orbit in the middle of a path right now. We do have additional Waypoint Types on the product roadmap, one of which would be a circle, but in the meantime you should consider just putting down a whole new Path component after the Orbit.

I hit "Dronelink & Just Once", and every time I do that, the app crashes immediately
We just uploaded build 34 of the APK, which hopefully corrects some of the issues people have been having with crashing and unreliable connection (on smart controllers). Let us know if it still happens after a fresh install of 34.

Reactions: HawkEye76 and Dan C
We just uploaded build 34 of the APK, which hopefully corrects some of the issues people have been having with crashing and unreliable connection (on smart controllers). Let us know if it still happens after a fresh install of 34.

Jim,

How do we know when to reinstall after updates? Haven't seen any triggers on IOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do we know when to reinstall after updates? Haven't seen any triggers on IOS.
This request applies to android only until we get the app hosted in Google play. TestFlight should automatically notify you when new builds are available on iOS. You should have seen 34 a few hours ago.

Reactions: parkgt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986