DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad 9.7 or mini 4??

The new iPad 9.7" (2018) is a dramatically better piece of hardware. The Mini 4 is using embarrassingly old hardware and is ~4 years overdue for replacement. The 2018 9.7" iPad is not only cheaper, but it supports the (1st gen) pencil as well. It's a no-brainer as long as you're OK with the size. As a bonus you get a great tablet to use around the house or while traveling as well.

Agreed.. i think a 2nd same opinion just helped my purchase. Thnx

I agree also with CanadaDrone, an iPad (2018) is the way to go. Also consider the terrific Mavmount holders for your iPad and RC unit. They are beautifully engineered and constructed—no buyers' remorse there!

Reactions: ArtK
I agree also with CanadaDrone, an iPad (2018) is the way to go. Also consider the terrific Mavmount holders for your iPad and RC unit. They are beautifully engineered and constructed—no buyers' remorse there!

Like the skyreat setup? Or diff?

I use a Mavmount, and it is truly a professional product. Worth every penny in my book.

Reactions: UAV Ernst
There are numerous iPad 9.7" (2018) deals for $250-260 USD right now for Black Friday - now would be the time to pick one up.

Reactions: Colbymh
I'm waiting for the next iteration of the iPad Mini rumoured to be announced before end of first quarter 2019. Meanwhile, I'm using the iPad Pro (9.7") which was a gift from my employer. It's nice to have the big screen but the downside is the extra weight and having to attach it to the Pad Holder before each flight.

Maybe by the time the new iPad is released, I'll be used to what I've got - it's a "wait and see" thing I suppose.

Also consider the terrific Mavmount holders for your iPad and RC unit. They are beautifully engineered

I agree with that description of the MavMount but, when I upgraded from a Mini4 to the iPad 2018, the extra weight caused the tablet to pivot too easily. So, I ordered a larger threaded thumbwheel from B&H and now I can get it tight enough to hold the tablet in place and it stays in position even when wearing a harness and letting the controller/tablet hang freely. I hope the folks at MavMount switch to a larger thumbwheel.

KB

I run the Mini 4 but have just picked up a 2018 9.7” as Apple are well known for suddenly dropping support and I didn’t fancy been caught out. However for the time been the Mini 4 does an awesome job and for me is the perfect size.

2018 9.7 wifi 32gb, Mavmount3.0, Hoodman Aviator combo, Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS receiver[emoji106]

Reactions: Colbymh
If you are going to buy a 9.7 then you are better off getting the 10.5. Same size... more screen.

2018 9.7 wifi 32gb, Mavmount3.0, Hoodman Aviator combo, Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS receiver[emoji106]
Never thought of gps as my mini 4 has it built in, is it a necessity?? If so my new 9.7 is still sealed and its getting returned :)

For myself, I find the full sized iPad unwieldy, and prefer the mini. I've never had a problem with the processor keeping up.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661