DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ipad clarification

Tom 85

Reactions
i want to buy a ipad mini 4 for use with the Mavic.

Which is better the cellular or just the wifi and why. i have read loads of threads but still dont quite understand. has one version not got a GPS chip built in. I will be mostly using it in the wilds of nowhere, where there is no 4g or 3g.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers Tom

Cellular iPad models contain a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is active whether or not you activate the cellular service. With GPS on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you do not need to use those features, then there is no benefit to using a mobile device with a GPS receiver.

Reactions: Tom 85 and Rbruz
Cellular iPad models contain a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is active whether or not you activate the cellular service. With GPS on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you do not need to use those features, then there is no benefit to using a mobile device with a GPS receiver.
Thank so for that speedy reply. I think I'll get a cellular version then.

Can you do follow me mode on iPad wifi only tethered to a cell phone?

Thank so for that speedy reply. I think I'll get a cellular version then.

I think also it's a better solution (what I did ahaha)!

Don't want to lose follow me and the ability to change my HP.

Reactions: Tom 85
FWIW. The wifi Version can be purchased on sale for about $275 (128 gb version). I have yet to find the cellular version on sale, other than with a two year contract with the carrier. Otherwise it's about $600.

I bought the Wi-Fi version, tether it to my phone, and it works great. Admittedly , it doesn't have a gps but I never use follow me (I do use activetrack which works without GPS) and I rarely need to change my home point. Every once in a while I launch from a boat requiring changing the home point, but when I do I just use my iphone instead of the iPad. For me it's worth the savings.

If money were not a real issue, I'd by the 2000 nit CrystalSky and avoid the iPad altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAMIANG and 2ducks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser