DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Compass

BillySteph

Reactions
I have not flown the Mini yet. I did the firmware update. I am still familiarizing myself with it all. I am not new to flying, I have had the Yuneec Q500+ since 2015 and other various smaller drones. I am going to be using my iPad (2017).
From my research the iPad does not have a compass like the iphones come with. I am so used to the directional arrow with my q500 that it is going to be a must for me with the Mini. I watched a good video with one gentleman downloading the X Compass app and having decent success with it and his ipad and the directional arrow with DJI Fly.. But I wanted to get other opinions on which compass people are using with their iPads? Thanks and happy flying!

DJI Fly also has map functionality that displays the AC location and orientation (direction it's facing) on a map/ satellite image, which also shows the home point and remote controller location
This uses GPS and works fine on my Ipad Mini 4 LTE

The central orientation indicator, that gives AC location relative to the controller also works but sometimes can be affected by the magnetic field emitted by the controllers right joystick.
With the Ipad Mini I have to use a longer cable and turn the device upside down, so the interference is farther away from the relevant circuitry on the Ipad

Reactions: BillySteph
I have not flown the Mini yet. I did the firmware update. I am still familiarizing myself with it all. I am not new to flying, I have had the Yuneec Q500+ since 2015 and other various smaller drones. I am going to be using my iPad (2017).
From my research the iPad does not have a compass like the iphones come with. I am so used to the directional arrow with my q500 that it is going to be a must for me with the Mini. I watched a good video with one gentleman downloading the X Compass app and having decent success with it and his ipad and the directional arrow with DJI Fly.. But I wanted to get other opinions on which compass people are using with their iPads? Thanks and happy flying!

The iPad has a compass - just like the iPhones.

The iPad has a compass - just like the iPhones.
I found where is has a compass under privacy and location but there is no way to bring it up on screen or calibrate it manually. I also see an off on slide on the iPad for the compass but not sure what it’s purpose is. All I know is I watched a gentleman load and use the Compass X on his iPad and after calibrating it somehow had better response from the DJI Fly Directional arrow.
I really need that arrow to be accurate, much to the chagrin of many here, I have lots off empty acreage and wooded areas that I will be flying over and it will be out of VLOS. I would never do this in a populated area or any where that would endanger anyone. I am just so used to the Q500’s arrow being spot on and takes away a lot of worries for me. I am going to keep the flights very close to home till I am confident in the directional arrow.

DJI Fly also has map functionality that displays the AC location and orientation (direction it's facing) on a map/ satellite image, which also shows the home point and remote controller location
This uses GPS and works fine on my Ipad Mini 4 LTE

The central orientation indicator, that gives AC location relative to the controller also works but sometimes can be affected by the magnetic field emitted by the controllers right joystick.
With the Ipad Mini I have to use a longer cable and turn the device upside down, so the interference is farther away from the relevant circuitry on the Ipad
Your’e referring to the map on the right side of the screen correct? If the arrow on there stays accurate then I am comfortable enough with that.

I found where is has a compass under privacy and location but there is no way to bring it up on screen or calibrate it manually. I also see an off on slide on the iPad for the compass but not sure what it’s purpose is. All I know is I watched a gentleman load and use the Compass X on his iPad and after calibrating it somehow had better response from the DJI Fly Directional arrow.
I really need that arrow to be accurate, much to the chagrin of many here, I have lots off empty acreage and wooded areas that I will be flying over and it will be out of VLOS. I would never do this in a populated area or any where that would endanger anyone. I am just so used to the Q500’s arrow being spot on and takes away a lot of worries for me. I am going to keep the flights very close to home till I am confident in the directional arrow.

It doesn't have a default compass app, but you can see the compass in the default maps app, and any other program that uses compass data can also use it.

Will the aircraft orientation indicator work correctly WITHOUT gps? I am confused on this issue.

I will say it was my experience the Find My Drone function will not function without gps. The map showed where the drone was but when I moved it was not indicated on the screen. Turning around did make the direction swing (compass was working) but there was no way to track my progress towards it without gps.

I believe with a wifi only ipad using a phone as hotspot to access its gps would be necessary for Find My Drone.

Your’e referring to the map on the right side of the screen correct? If the arrow on there stays accurate then I am comfortable enough with that.

I forgot to mention my Ipad Mini 4 is the celluar model with built in GPS, the wi-fi only Ipads don't have GPS but they do have the compass sensor (magnetometer)

This might be the reason why it supports all the location modes natively

So if you get an ipad without cellular will the gps for the drone work. I thought it was off the drone itself but when i tried an ipad without cellular i could not get a connection to gps.

I thought it was due to the ipad being older.

Last edited:
So if you get an ipad without cellular will the gps for the drone work. I thought it was off the drone itself but when i tried an ipad without cellular i could not get a connection to gps.

The GPS receiver on the aircraft is all that it needs for P-mode flight. The only significant purpose for the mobile device GPS is if you want to reset the home point to the controller location during the flight.

Now this is where I am also getting confused. I am reading that all iPads with “WiFi only” have no GPS and if you have a cellular version that they do have gps. The gps is functional even if you don’t use a provider. So, how in the world am I going to be able to keep a constant accurate location on my WiFi only iPad? I feel like now maybe I should at-least try to find a 4G IPad Mini to use for display. Which was not my original plan at all.

Now this is where I am also getting confused. I am reading that all iPads with “WiFi only” have no GPS and if you have a cellular version that they do have gps. The gps is functional even if you don’t use a provider. So, how in the world am I going to be able to keep a constant accurate location on my WiFi only iPad? I feel like now maybe I should at-least try to find a 4G IPad Mini to use for display. Which was not my original plan at all.

Do you need your exact coordinates to fly the aircraft?

Do you need your exact coordinates to fly the aircraft?
Let’s say I move the return to home point away 40-50’ or so with my WiFi only iPad which of-course will have the WiFi off. What will be the outcome of that? I was feeling pretty good about my location pointers while messing around with it in the back yard but completely forgot about WiFi being on. For instance the mapping system on the DJI Fly screen, what GPS is being used to keep it current?

This is what happened to me. The location was way off and I just flew off. No idea where I was.

I thought all the location data had nothing to do with what device I was using and all of this was in the drone.

I generally fly in the same spot but i did this at a new area and it was completely off.

I am used to race quads, wings and freestyle so I didnt freak out but it was not what i expected.

Let’s say I move the return to home point away 40-50’ or so with my WiFi only iPad which of-course will have the WiFi off. What will be the outcome of that? I was feeling pretty good about my location pointers while messing around with it in the back yard but completely forgot about WiFi being on. For instance the mapping system on the DJI Fly screen, what GPS is being used to keep it current?

Maybe my cheapest route to insure the most accurate GPS is to purchase a Bluetooth GPS device to run through my current iPad.

I went ahead and purchased this product Dual Electronics XGPS150A . It’s a Bluetooth GPS device. Cheaper than buying another iPad. I feel more comfortable having reliable gps capabilities before I start flying.

Agreed, but the discussion appeared to be about flight control, not finding lost drones.
The flight mapping system and directional arrow to be accurate. This morning I flipped WiFi off (again I have not flown away from my home) and I lost the mapping system. I feel like I will just be better off adding that Bluetooth gps system.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wall-E