DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad crashed while flying mini

Dmascot

Reactions
While flying my mini with my iPad Pro the iPads screen went black and the controls on the iPad did not work. Luckily the mini landed, almost into a tree. I was connected to my iPhones personal hotspot. Is that what crashed the iPad? I read in the manual to have Wifi turned off.

Sometimes the apps so crash but you still have control on the RC. The RTH button is also a pause button so if you're in an autonomous flight or RTH and went "blind", tap (don't press and hold) the button.

Yep, read the manual last night. Button is dual purpose.

Reactions: scooot
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why the iPad crashed? I’m very leery to use it now. I did see in this forum that the iPad should be cellular capable. Mine isn’t.

Check the iPad itself. Close out any other apps that may be running in the background is usually a good idea. App crashes are in other DJI products, not just the mini.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder why the iPad crashed? I’m very leery to use it now. I did see in this forum that the iPad should be cellular capable. Mine isn’t.
I really don't think it needs to be cellular. None of the previous drones have required it. I pretty much always fly with either a WiFi-only tablet or my phone on airplane mode and I've never had a problem, so I feel like it would be very strange for one of their most basic entry-level models to require it. Though I guess I'll find out for certain when my Mini gets here on Monday.

The only issue with Wi-Fi only is no GPS on the iPad which some functions need, like set HP to RC position. It looks like the app tries to use iOS location services where it can, where location services can use Wi-Fi location database.
We are the collective.

Reactions: scooot
Turn off hotspot and no need for cellular. Only need internet to load maps, which I do at home before flight. Glad this has RTH anyhow. iPad crash, ?? Try again in another location?

In addition to the above suggestions, all very good, keep your iPad as warm as you can. Cold temps will crash your iDevice with no warning and seemingly an adequate battery capacity. Boom! Black screen. Just like that. This is one solution (photo). A part of an insulated cooler (the lid I think.)

Attachments

• 7F553090-8A5A-4B4E-A6CC-D351A1304BC1.jpeg
    7F553090-8A5A-4B4E-A6CC-D351A1304BC1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31