DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ipad mini 4 with cellular but no cellular service

No wonder people get confused about this.
All they need (if they want GPS in the iPad) is the hardware - no sim card is necessary.
The GPS in the tablet doesn't provide maps.
Read the previous post for clarification.
You obviously haven't used a cellular device with a missing SIM card. It can be annoying at best.

x
[QUOTE="... People seem to love the ipad mini 4 and I am considering a refurbished one to save money. I won't use it for anything else. I don't move my RTH point so I realize I don't absolutely need cellular/gps.. but it would make me feel better to have . BUT, I don't want to pay for monthly cellular service from ATT for that ipad. The ipads with cellular have GPS as well.

/QUOTE]

I have a mini 4 with no cellular, and I regret very much not getting cellular. I wouldn't need the cell data, but I miss not having GPS, which I never suspected when I bought it. This pad does a super job with real-time video to the screen, but not having GPS means that the "Find my Drone" app is severely crippled without GPS in the pad. Found this out tonight when I tried it so that I would be familiar with the app if I ever needed it.

In my case, Find my Drone will tell you exactly where the drone is, but not where you are. Which way to move to get closer?

I now have to also drag along my decrepit old ipad some 6 years old, just to have good info on my own location. I do some filming of peaks and rocks that are interesting to me but that I can't climb or hike to, and that often have steep terrain and low trees or brush. Bad places to have to hunt for a drone.
OR, you could take your smartphone out of your pocket, set it up as a wifi hotspot, and connect your ipad to that. Then you should get the maps to help. Try it and let us know! I have often wondered.

x
[QUOTE="... People seem to love the ipad mini 4 and I am considering a refurbished one to save money. I won't use it for anything else. I don't move my RTH point so I realize I don't absolutely need cellular/gps.. but it would make me feel better to have . BUT, I don't want to pay for monthly cellular service from ATT for that ipad. The ipads with cellular have GPS as well.

/QUOTE]

I have a mini 4 with no cellular, and I regret very much not getting cellular. I wouldn't need the cell data, but I miss not having GPS, which I never suspected when I bought it. This pad does a super job with real-time video to the screen, but not having GPS means that the "Find my Drone" app is severely crippled without GPS in the pad. Found this out tonight when I tried it so that I would be familiar with the app if I ever needed it.

In my case, Find my Drone will tell you exactly where the drone is, but not where you are. Which way to move to get closer?

I now have to also drag along my decrepit old ipad some 6 years old, just to have good info on my own location. I do some filming of peaks and rocks that are interesting to me but that I can't climb or hike to, and that often have steep terrain and low trees or brush. Bad places to have to hunt for a drone.
Samsung Tab E had GPS but didn't have a compass. That too was annoying as the map/radar orientation was locked north up no matter which way I was facing.

As for cell helping GPS, both my tablets only have Wi-Fi. No issues getting my location on any map, whether Go or Google.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis