DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad PRO 9.7 smoked the iPad Mini 4

Grtday

Reactions
I've been jonesing for a CrystalSky since my iPad Mini V 4 washes out in sunlight. Sure...I could get a sunshade, but that;s one more thing to haul around and deal with,.
I took my iPad PRO 9.7 in with 256 mb and mounted it up.
WOW! Worked like a dream in sunlight.
If the iPad Mini V 4 was subjectively legible at a #3, then then my iPad 9.7 Pr0 was an 8! Could not believe the visibility difference!

Yeah, the 9.7 iPad is pretty nice. I just got a 7.85 crystal sky and I will be taking it out this weekend to test it out. I would still recommend you get a sunshade... It really helped with viewing on my iPad.

(The reason I had to get the CrystalSky is the HDMI output I needed for live streaming)

I hear the pro Ipads are also stellar at HD video editing, better than most PC's and Macs. Have you tried that yet? I am thinking of getting the giant 12" ipad pro that just came out.

I hear the pro Ipads are also stellar at HD video editing, better than most PC's and Macs. Have you tried that yet? I am thinking of getting the giant 12" ipad pro that just came out.

It depends on the spec of the MBP. If you get the new 15inch MacBook Pro the iPad does not compare at all. If you are trying to replace a desktop setup I don’t recommend getting the iPad for that purpose. If you are looking for something for editing on the go then the new iPad seems like it would be perfect for that.

It depends on the spec of the MBP. If you get the new 15inch MacBook Pro the iPad does not compare at all. If you are trying to replace a desktop setup I don’t recommend getting the iPad for that purpose. If you are looking for something for editing on the go then the new iPad seems like it would be perfect for that.
I have seen it told differently in several other threads here. I dont use Apple desktops of MBP's at all.
But it has been said MANY times that the a12 (?) processor is better than most average PC desktops and laptops.
Are you speaking from experience or of what the specs. of each leads you to believe?

Almost did that as I saw a sailboat captain flying his Mavic with the12" on the bridge. For me...a little too big.
Check out www.swappa.com for some gently owned iPads too! GREAT site!

I think the new iPad Pros kinda move the needle on that comparison with the MBP now. I've seen some rumblings of the new iPad Pro meeting or beating the 2018 MBP in benchmarks (and I believe it). I think the bigger issue comes down to the fact that at least for now, Lumafusion and the like just don't have anything to fully compare to the desktop apps that are available for true high quality video editing. I'm expecting that to slowly change however. Heck, with the price that they're charging for the new iPad Pros they better be fast...

The new iPad Pro smokes the 2018 MacBook Pro 13” versions with the best CPU upgrades and is almost virtually a dead heat comparable in performance to the 15” core i9! Yes. You read that right.

You know the best solution for sunlight? Goggle's

I too have been thinking of getting the CrystalSky, but I see no point now with the goggles, I still have my bog standard tablet running. but anytime I wanna line up that perfect shot, I use the goggles.

Anyone else agree?

You know the best solution for sunlight? Goggle's

I too have been thinking of getting the CrystalSky, but I see no point now with the goggles, I still have my bog standard tablet running. but anytime I wanna line up that perfect shot, I use the goggles.

Anyone else agree?

I actually do semi-agree. For me, it's the Moverios, but same idea. I was out today in the blaring sun here and absolutely no issue at all with Rochester Optical shades on the BT-300s. At this point, I think I might shed a tear if I had to fly without using those things now! :)

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
..my iPad 9.7 Pr0 was an 8! Could not believe the visibility difference!

I’m wondering if you’re talking about the iPad 9.7 2018 as I don’t think there’s a 9.7 Pro. I’ve been using a hood since the early M1P days, but I’ve never tried the 9.7 in the sun by itself. ( I haven’t had it very long.)

So if we’re talking about the same iPad, I’m gonna have to check mine out tomorrow..it’ will definitely be sunny and it was a great day for flying today. I got to test out some of the PP filters and my initial quick peek at the images told me right away they turned out very well.

Back to editing the images and have a look at the footage, ME should be done by now. Proxy time creation is well worth having smooth, very edible clips IMHO.

KB

That’s a pretty powerful statement. :)

Are they really that good?

KB

Ok...ok. Maybe I exaggerate just a bit, but they really are nice. I mean, it wouldn't take much to make them just about perfect...just a faster control unit and maybe a higher density virtual display...but they're just fine as-is honestly. It's not a stretch though to say that I far prefer to fly with them than without them and when I do fly with them I haven't once worried about brightness.

Ok...ok. Maybe I exaggerate just a bit, but they really are nice. I mean, it wouldn't take much to make them just about perfect...just a faster control unit and maybe a higher density virtual display...but they're just fine as-is honestly. It's not a stretch though to say that I far prefer to fly with them than without them and when I do fly with them I haven't once worried about brightness.

I must admit, I've never tried the Moverios before, I wonder how they compare with the Dji Goggle's, head tracking with HD display?

They are fun to fly with, I really only fly with them on.

Can I ask how the Moverios connect to the Mavic? is it via the controller?

Well, the best way to think about it is that the control module replaces everything your phone does except for the display, then the control module connects to the glasses with what looks like a proprietary multi pin connector. You connect to the micro USB on the Moverio control unit the same way you'd connect any Android phone...either through the side or bottom USB on the Mavic Controller.

The new iPad Pro smokes the 2018 MacBook Pro 13” versions with the best CPU upgrades and is almost virtually a dead heat comparable in performance to the 15” core i9! Yes. You read that right.

Based on a synthetic benchmark which has little bearing on reality, the same benchmark which shows Intel's ten core CPU's trouncing AMD's 16 core Threadripper in multicore performance. While the Intel cores are individually faster, in real world multi-threaded workloads the Threadripper can manage around 50% better performance as you'd expect for the specifications. It's also worth bearing in mind that the i9 in the Macbook Pro even after the firmware fix can end up running slower than the i7 due to thermal throttling due to the inadequate cooling.

The iPad has the advantage that Apple make the hardware and software which allows them to optimise it far better than other platforms however the trade off is that the application range that can run on the iPad is limited. Even beyond that the iPad Pro's 6GB ram and single USB-C port (amusingly they couldn't fit a headphone port on a 12in tablet...) means it's nowhere near capable of running the heavy applications that actually require high performance.

The performance figures do look good for a tablet but these claims about how fast it is are as typical from Apple completely nonsense and no doubt they're setting up to change from Intel within the next few years so this is a good way to get people in the mindset that Intel are poor and the ARM processors are amazing. There is a separate topic on here asking how Apple get away with so much on this forum and this is the perfect demonstration of that, they can make these daft claims and people quickly spread those without giving it any actual thought first, it just becomes official.

Reactions: benelot
Based on a synthetic benchmark which has little bearing on reality, the same benchmark which shows Intel's ten core CPU's trouncing AMD's 16 core Threadripper in multicore performance. While the Intel cores are individually faster, in real world multi-threaded workloads the Threadripper can manage around 50% better performance as you'd expect for the specifications. It's also worth bearing in mind that the i9 in the Macbook Pro even after the firmware fix can end up running slower than the i7 due to thermal throttling due to the inadequate cooling.

The iPad has the advantage that Apple make the hardware and software which allows them to optimise it far better than other platforms however the trade off is that the application range that can run on the iPad is limited. Even beyond that the iPad Pro's 6GB ram and single USB-C port (amusingly they couldn't fit a headphone port on a 12in tablet...) means it's nowhere near capable of running the heavy applications that actually require high performance.

The performance figures do look good for a tablet but these claims about how fast it is are as typical from Apple completely nonsense and no doubt they're setting up to change from Intel within the next few years so this is a good way to get people in the mindset that Intel are poor and the ARM processors are amazing. There is a separate topic on here asking how Apple get away with so much on this forum and this is the perfect demonstration of that, they can make these daft claims and people quickly spread those without giving it any actual thought first, it just becomes official.
Welcome to the thread Apple Hater.
Everyone has opinions, everyone understands written specs differently based on what the uses might be.
Unfortunately, Opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one. I am more interested in FACTS. There have been at least two members on this forum that say the Ipad pro works incredible editing 4k video. And, REALLY? no Headphone jack? LOL! Ditch the wires man. We are in 2018 now!
I am more interested in REAL comments from users that actually DO video stuff, WITH the ipad and PC's. Not hearing Anti Apple propaganda from video gamers and headphone wearers. :D

Reactions: JRT and Greenflash
Welcome to the thread Apple Hater.
Everyone has opinions, everyone understands written specs differently based on what the uses might be.
Unfortunately, Opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one. I am more interested in FACTS. There have been at least two members on this forum that say the Ipad pro works incredible editing 4k video. And, REALLY? no Headphone jack? LOL! Ditch the wires man. We are in 2018 now!
I am more interested in REAL comments from users that actually DO video stuff, WITH the ipad and PC's. Not hearing Anti Apple propaganda from video gamers and headphone wearers. :D
Bit aggressive, like you say everyone's entitled to an opinion no need to try roasting him

Bit aggressive, like you say everyone's entitled to an opinion no need to try roasting him
Back in post #3, before it degraded to a goggle thread, I asked for comments on how Ipad pros worked for editing 4k video. NOT how someone who obviously doesnt own one thinks they work.
I stand by the "its bad because there is no headphone jack" retort. What does that have to do with processing power? You can buy bluetooth earbuds as cheap as wired ones. Who uses wired headphones? LOL!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman