DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad ?

THE CYBORG

Reactions
I thought I would look for a used iPad just to see if one is as good as the Android tablet that I use for my display.
I am now totally confused by all the different versions & generations of versions.
What do you Apple fans recommend ? bearing in mind its only use will be for my display screen.
At the moment I use a 10” Samsung table with a none reflective screen, I have no problems with it but thought am I missing out on something by not going with Apple.
For those of you who use an iPad I would appreciate some advice.

For flying there’d be only one choice for me. Mini 5. The 10” screens are just too big for me and make the whole controller cumbersome.

I currently fly with a Huawei M3 Lite but it’s on the slow side - works well enough once Go 4 has finally loaded - but it is clunky. I am very very tempted by a Mini 5. May well pick one up this week.

I had a mini 2. The processor couldn't keep up with the app. It was OK when cool, but in hot weather I got "cpu overload" errors. So, for the smaller "mini" ipads, you probably need a 4 or 5 (latest).

I just replaced that with an iPad Pro 6th Generation - 9.7" display. This is the latest full-size iPad. I have used this a few times and the flights were flawless. I also LOVE the larger size. I bought it new for $249 on amazon.

1567358625209.png

I think I would go full size passedpawn as I am so used to a 10” display
i just got the 6th gen 32gig 9.7 i pad from drones direct for a similar price, best thing i ever did, i can fly 5 batteries around 18-20 mins each flight and still have 60 percent battery left in the controller and the ios app view is really great

So is a 6th generation actually an iPad 6 or the 6th incarnation of an earlier model ?
I don't get the way Apple name things ?
it refers to the processor that is used and it is in all the models made during that time i believe 2018 year was when 6th gen started

So is a 6th generation actually an iPad 6 or the 6th incarnation of an earlier model ?
I don't get the way Apple name things ?

It's just 6th version. Don't overcomplicate it. Each version is better, and in our case, we need the improvements in processor speed and video support.

Anyway, iPad Gen 6 is what you want.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
2018 ipad 9.7 inch its powerful can download the 4k right to ipad (cant do this with android only 1080p) u can edit the 4k with ease also! Lumafusion is a great editing app wish android had an app half as close.....and i love android! Anyway u can find these on sale for 279$ most of the time....no problems with app, super fast and can screen record at same time.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Thanks old man mavic
I get it now but its a bit of cash to splash if I prefer the Android tablet I am already using.
Must see if any friends have an iPad I can test out first.
no problem i always swore by my android device but needed a larger screen for my old eyes to see better,the biggest problem was the battery depletion of the controller during use, i got round it by using a power bank between locations to keep it topped up, but as i have stated before i do not need to do that with the ipad and it has to me a better screen layout than the android version

Reactions: Thomas B
i just got the 6th gen 32gig 9.7 i pad from drones direct for a similar price, best thing i ever did, i can fly 5 batteries around 18-20 mins each flight and still have 60 percent battery left in the controller and the ios app view is really great
Yup 2018 version is 6th gen it rocks....and great price for what u get, especially being able to edit 4k with ease blows my mind

If you want the tablet mostly for the drone, I highly recommend the iPad Mini 5 (the one you can buy now). I bought it a few months ago and have no regrets, at all.

If you expect to be doing lots of other things with your iPad besides flying your drone, the most common recommendation as the best Apple (or any other manufacturer) tablet is the smaller of the two iPad Pro models.

I wish I could find the review which led me to this conclusion this last spring when I bought my iPad Mini. It did a great job describing why you should bypass the iPad and iPad air, and also dismiss the really large iPad Pro, but it made great sense to me.

Since I only fly my MP2 once every week or two, my iPad gets used much more for other things. As one example, my wife has a really nice Kindle Paperwhite, which is one of the best book readers. However, Amazon supports a Kindle app on the iPad and, quite frankly, in some ways this is an even better reader, and a little larger than the Kindle.

I found a used min4 for $180 I like it and it fits in the RC without another device, makes it easy to carry around and the display is plenty big enough.

If I do get an iPad of any description it will only be used for my drone display screen nothing else.
I am not an Apple fan at all, I inherited a mac and can’t remember the last time I turned it on, prefer my PC any day.
I think I will try to borrow an iPad but I am pretty sure every on I know uses Android tablets.
At least I now know I have to go for nothing less than a 5.

Thanks for all the input people.Thumbswayup

If I do get an iPad of any description it will only be used for my drone display screen nothing else.
I am not an Apple fan at all, I inherited a mac and can’t remember the last time I turned it on, prefer my PC any day.
I think I will try to borrow an iPad but I am pretty sure every on I know uses Android tablets.
At least I now know I have to go for nothing less than a 5.

Thanks for all the input people.Thumbswayup
My advice is not to get so negative about the Apple iPad.

Let me tell you why.

I spent my whole career in the PC world and two of the three companies I ran were based on the PC. I've spent the last fifteen years doing extensive media restoration, ALL of it on a PC.

However ...

Unlike the Mac, where you pay way too much and are also forced into a Jobs/Apple straightjacket where you have little flexibility to do things your own way, the IOS-based phones and tablets are extremely impressive. This includes not only the software, but the hardware. The processor on my iPad Mini 5 is absolutely fantastic.

I've flown my friend's Phantom 3 Pro many times with several of his Android devices, but my wife's iPhone 6 and my iPad Mini 5 are faster, easier, and better in every respect when it comes to flying my M2P.

So, like I said, I'm on the same page as you on the PC vs. Mac debate, but that simply does not translate to tablets.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J