DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad ?

If I do get an iPad of any description it will only be used for my drone display screen nothing else.
I am not an Apple fan at all, I inherited a mac and can’t remember the last time I turned it on, prefer my PC any day.
I think I will try to borrow an iPad but I am pretty sure every on I know uses Android tablets.
At least I now know I have to go for nothing less than a 5.

Thanks for all the input people.Thumbswayup

I was an absolute Android die hard. Swore I’d never have anything Apple in my life. I now have an iPad, iPhone and Watch and as an ecosystem they just play together so nicely. Far more integrated than anything Android has - understandably give Apple’s rabid control over everything they do.

Sure there’s some things that drive me mad like not being able to just drag and drop files from PC to phone, lack of control and customisation etc but now I’m used to iOS I’m pretty happy with it.

Note also that the very soon to be released new version of iOS will apparently have things like a proper file explorer and proper task windows for iPads. That could make all the difference.

I still can’t stand OS X though! I’m one of those odd people that actually really likes Windows :)

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I finally switched from android to an Ipad Mini 4. It was a nice switch except for theMini 4's overheating issues. My android never acted up due to heat.
Do the larger Ipads suffer from the same low tolerance to heat issue?

I bought the iPad mini 5 after going through the same confusion....
So why the mini 5? I think the size and weight are a good balance, bigger is heavier and smaller is lighter, but you don't want to go too small right. I find the mini screen size perfect.
I opted for the mini 5 because of the faster A12 processor rather than the older mini 4.

Reactions: RZR12
I had a mini 2. The processor couldn't keep up with the app. It was OK when cool, but in hot weather I got "cpu overload" errors. So, for the smaller "mini" ipads, you probably need a 4 or 5 (latest).

I just replaced that with an iPad Pro 6th Generation - 9.7" display. This is the latest full-size iPad. I have used this a few times and the flights were flawless. I also LOVE the larger size. I bought it new for $249 on amazon.

View attachment 80783
What kind of mount is it on

I went from an iPad 6th gen to an iPad Mini 5
The iPad was just too big and clumsy with the controller.

6th Gen Ipad 9.7..has been the epic for me so far .. I had an iPad 1 that worked fine ...but I couldn't do Dronelink app keep getting overload like errors in missions ( I use GO4, Litchi and Dronelink beta) ...I have a mount that allows me to see my Mav Pro controller screen ..but I'll admit it's a little top-heavy with pad attachment.
I tested the feel with my granddaughter IPad mini 4 which mounts right on the controller and it's a better balance ...but I like the larger screen on the 6th gen

I had a mini 2. The processor couldn't keep up with the app. It was OK when cool, but in hot weather I got "cpu overload" errors. So, for the smaller "mini" ipads, you probably need a 4 or 5 (latest).

I just replaced that with an iPad Pro 6th Generation - 9.7" display. This is the latest full-size iPad. I have used this a few times and the flights were flawless. I also LOVE the larger size. I bought it new for $249 on amazon.

View attachment 80783
I use the same iPad and highly recommend the larger screen.
I bought mine on sale from Walmart for $199

Reactions: passedpawn
I thought I would look for a used iPad just to see if one is as good as the Android tablet that I use for my display.
I am now totally confused by all the different versions & generations of versions.
What do you Apple fans recommend ? bearing in mind its only use will be for my display screen.
At the moment I use a 10” Samsung table with a none reflective screen, I have no problems with it but thought am I missing out on something by not going with Apple.
For those of you who use an iPad I would appreciate some advice.
I just bought the latest ipad for this exact reason. Im a photographer so the 9.7inch screen is great for photography. no lag no nothing..just awesome.

I use the iPad Mini 5. 1. My daughter gifted me (world’s best daughter) the iPad 5 for Father’s Day. 2. The iPad 5 was maxed out on RAM (more photo/video storage) for me. 3. “Slightly smaller than my iPad Air 2 (more compact, but still perfect size), 4. Much easier to “force kill” unwanted apps (i.e., prep and unlock NFZ, double tap home, swipe up DJIGO4, start LITCHI or AUTOPILOT, fly!).
In standard horizontal mode, when flying, the lost screen real estate, is minimal.
iPad Mini 5 = ?????
And this from an Android fan!

What kind of mount is it on

MavMount. Works great! If you get it, make sure to get the additional lanyard. It's REALLY nice to let the whole thing hang from neck to free my hands. I almost didn't get the lanyard - that would have been a mistake.

I thought I would look for a used iPad just to see if one is as good as the Android tablet that I use for my display.
I am now totally confused by all the different versions & generations of versions.
What do you Apple fans recommend ? bearing in mind its only use will be for my display screen.
At the moment I use a 10” Samsung table with a none reflective screen, I have no problems with it but thought am I missing out on something by not going with Apple.
I tried them both, can't see much difference so stick with the Samsung.

I use an iPad Mini 2 and a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8. Most people will tell you both are highly underpowered. I have had zero issues with either. Both run the current version of Go4 flawlessly. The iPad has had no overheating issues or anything. I have 3 batteries and can fly for an hour straight in 85° weather (I live in Washington so doesn’t get much hotter) and yet to have a problem.

I have had Android phones and PC only - never Mac or Apple. I use my Samsung Galaxy 9 when I fly. So here is the dumb question.

If I use an iPad strictly for flying my MA does it have to be connected to a service provider or does it work as a stand alone ?

Ipad 6th gen (cellular version <- it has a GPS receiver built-in) with mav mount.
I went with the full size because it is easier on my old eyes and I can use the ipad for other things while traveling. At home I use a laptop and a desktop PC.

I have had Android phones and PC only - never Mac or Apple. I use my Samsung Galaxy 9 when I fly. So here is the dumb question.

If I use an iPad strictly for flying my MA does it have to be connected to a service provider or does it work as a stand alone ?

It can be wifi only - no service provider. I use a dedicated non-cellular iPad for the bird. I also have a cellular Verizon iPad for reading (kindle) and looking at the webz while on couch or bed, and for airplane/travelling purposes

I use a windows PC for all home / work stuff. I've been building my own since DOS days.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
iPad Mini 4 Never had 1 issue!
First time running CrystalSky with Android platform. 390' above me, DJ4 GO APP CRASHED!
IOS is way more stable!

Cheers!

It can be wifi only - no service provider. I use a dedicated non-cellular iPad for the bird. I also have a cellular Verizon iPad for reading (kindle) and looking at the webz while on couch or bed, and for airplane/travelling purposes

I use a windows PC for all home / work stuff. I've been building my own since DOS days.
Thanks

First, to confirm what others have said, it works just fine without any cell connection, so you don't need that feature.

However ...

When I got my iPad Mini 5 I opted to pay the $150 to get the cell capability. Why? Well, for one, I do not own a cell phone and have no plans to get one, but I figured that this might let me use the iPad to make emergency phone calls from my car, if needed.

But that is only the tip of the iceberg. Getting the cell service version turned out to be a REALLY GOOD IDEA for many other reasons. Read on ...

1. While you actually cannot use the iPad as a phone (meaning that you can't add it to a cell phone plan, and it cannot use the cell phone network), you can get a data plan and make phone calls via the data network (see below).

2. You can purchase data REALLY CHEAP. I shopped around and got a 5 GB plan through T-Mobile that is good for four months. It only cost $30, which is less than $10/month. When this expires in October, I can switch to whatever carrier has the best plan at that point. There are no contracts and the Apple SIM card works with pretty much all of the carriers.

3. I already have a voice over IP (VOIP) phone number that I use through my home PBX. You can get this for free via Google Voice, or you can pay $30/year to get a service that not only gives you a dedicated phone number, but also gives you voicemail and even the ability to receive incoming faxes (which I've actually used once or twice).

4. You can then download an app that lets you use this VOIP phone number on your iPad. When someone calls that number both my home phone AND my iPad ring. Whichever picks up the call first gets the call and the other is locked out. What this means is that I can answer my home "line 2" (line 1 is still a traditional landline) from anywhere in the world. I can make free calls anywhere in the USA from the iPad.

5. While in my car, I can use my iPad to listen to any music service (very little data used); use Google maps; and do all the other things that those of you with smartphones now take for granted.

6. Since you can't connect to the phone network, you cannot do SMS text messaging. However, you can text message to anyone with an iPhone using iMessage. Most people now use this instead of SMS because it has no text limit and you can attach pictures.

So, that one-time $150 to get the cell feature added to the iPad can give you lots of features.

Oh yes, for flying with your Mavic, having the cell service does give you one thing you don't get without it: maps. You can pre-download these while you're still on Wi-Fi, but if you are out in the field and have forgotten to download the maps ahead of time, and if you need them (I don't), then with the cell service they will be instantly available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Mac

I bought an iPad mini 4 for dedicated use with my controller. It fits nicely (snugly) in the controllers arms and works really well.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv