DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad ?

I am a PC user mostly. I use the Ipad Mini 4 exclusive for my M2P. works great only problem I can't load my videos or photos onto it from my drone memory card.

I made a small saw cut (used 4 hacksaw blades together) in the bottom of the remote (in the plastic) and this allowed the arms to open further. This allows you to mount the Ipad mini 4 on the bottom of the remote and holds it good. As you can see it even lets me mount it with the cover intact.

Attachments

• P_20190908_155756.jpg
    P_20190908_155756.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • P_20190908_160047.jpg
    P_20190908_160047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
I have had Android phones and PC only - never Mac or Apple. I use my Samsung Galaxy 9 when I fly. So here is the dumb question.

If I use an iPad strictly for flying my MA does it have to be connected to a service provider or does it work as a stand alone ?
It will work stand alone. I have the mini4 with no phone capabilities

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 inch.
I think it is a 4th generation and it works flawlessly.
The iPad's are nice because they are thinner than any Android tablet I have ever owned.
I purchased it through the Apple refurbished store online. Works and looks like new but at a much cheaper price.

Last edited:
I made a small saw cut (used 4 hacksaw blades together) in the bottom of the remote (in the plastic) and this allowed the arms to open further. This allows you to mount the Ipad mini 4 on the bottom of the remote and holds it good. As you can see it even lets me mount it with the cover intact.
Intriguing idea. I never thought of doing that.

I just looked at my controller, and I wonder why you chose to cut into the body rather than just trimming off the end of each plastic controller arm? That would seem to be less destructive.

Another approach would be to replace the two metal plates that fasten each arm to the body, and make them about 10mm longer. Yes, the controller arms would no longer fold completely into the base, but that probably makes no difference for most storage setups. What's more, that mod would be completely reversible. It looks like you'd only have to remove two screws on either side.

Why not just use a mount? Less than $20, no damage & can use phone, mini or full sized tablets.

Reactions: passedpawn
Intriguing idea. I never thought of doing that.

I just looked at my controller, and I wonder why you chose to cut into the body rather than just trimming off the end of each plastic controller arm? That would seem to be less destructive.

Another approach would be to replace the two metal plates that fasten each arm to the body, and make them about 10mm longer. Yes, the controller arms would no longer fold completely into the base, but that probably makes no difference for most storage setups. What's more, that mod would be completely reversible. It looks like you'd only have to remove two screws on either side.
Cause the steel part of the remote arms will not open wide enough to accommodate the ipad (due to the plastic sides of the controler). The plastic end of the arms are not the ones restricting the opening of the arms. The realquestion is why DJI does not think about this when developing the 2nd edition of this drone, not to mention the Air and Spark that use same type of controler. My method to solving this problem, without reinventing the wheel, was to keep it simple and use my mini4 for a bigger display then the 5" phone.

Why not just use a mount? Less than $20, no damage & can use phone, mini or full sized tablets.
Cause the balance and trying to use the control stick under that big mount is to say the least....Awkward!. Bought one tried that. What damage??? 2 small saw cuts on my controller. same as the 2 units of my Mavic Pro that I bought, used , and sold for $700 each.

This mount allows me to use Ipad cover, gel back, and sunlight shade all at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: freightshaker
I had a mini 2. The processor couldn't keep up with the app. It was OK when cool, but in hot weather I got "cpu overload" errors. So, for the smaller "mini" ipads, you probably need a 4 or 5 (latest).

I just replaced that with an iPad Pro 6th Generation - 9.7" display. This is the latest full-size iPad. I have used this a few times and the flights were flawless. I also LOVE the larger size. I bought it new for $249 on amazon.

View attachment 80783
Same here! MUCH better than my iPhone X...

I'm new to iPad too, just picked up a "open box" 6th generation. Haven't even flew with it yet. Been using a Galaxy Tab 2 so far. So how are you downloading to the iPad?
In the app hit "play" button bottom right....and it actually lets u download full resolution file 4k and 1080p ....so just click on the video after hitting play button in dji go 4 and u will see an arrow bottom right of video hit that .....android only lets u download up to 1080p

I thought I would look for a used iPad just to see if one is as good as the Android tablet that I use for my display.
I am now totally confused by all the different versions & generations of versions.
What do you Apple fans recommend ? bearing in mind its only use will be for my display screen.
At the moment I use a 10” Samsung table with a none reflective screen, I have no problems with it but thought am I missing out on something by not going with Apple.
For those of you who use an iPad I would appreciate some advice.
I used Android for a very short time, and all I have is samsung, love it. However iPad mini 4 in my option is the best. I don't have a GPS on mine for reasons. The only problem I live In florida, heat. I built a styrofoam holder out a small lunch box ice in it problem solved. Apple has the best format for dji. Happy flying

I used the Android twice, got a ipad mini 4 (without gps) no more problems.. I live in Florida hot. The iPad does have a overheating problem . I built a styrofoam holder about 2..5 in thick. Got a couple of lunch box ice packs problem solved. Happy flying i only use it for flying, the least amount of apps i have to have.. I use it on P3S P4. Mavic Air

Ipad mini 4 is way old and underspeced used to get the "cpu" message all the time about processes overloading it or something....thing had no apps on it and couldnt handle go 4.....grabbed the cheaper but bigger, faster, ipad 2018 6th gen and have had no probs. I can even edit 4k. I can use screen record now without it overheating too! Cant say the same for mini 4!!! And why would someone cut remote arms to fit mini4? Is the mavic 2 remote arms different? Becuase my mini 4 fit fine with older mav pro remote....curious

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
I have an iPad mini 2. No issues whatsoever. It seems like different strokes for different folks. I have learned to take a lot of advice with a grain of salt on this forum. Obviously the better you buy the better it will be but almost find it comical when someone states that issues are constant and this or that phone or tablet won’t work. I fly with a mini 2 or amazon fire hd8 and edit 4K on an iPhone 7. Everything I use is older than my MP1 and have 0 issues on any of the above.

So on a whim I got a used air 2.
Only had a chance to give it a short test flight as getting a gap in the wind and rain is a problem at the moment.

Conclusions so far.
On the plus the little arrow showing the orientation of the drone now works as it should, tended to point wherever it wanted on my android.
On the negative the screen isn't as bright on the iPad.

Will have to get more flying time in decent conditions to really test it out but so far so good.

I had a mini 2. The processor couldn't keep up with the app. It was OK when cool, but in hot weather I got "cpu overload" errors. So, for the smaller "mini" ipads, you probably need a 4 or 5 (latest).

I just replaced that with an iPad Pro 6th Generation - 9.7" display. This is the latest full-size iPad. I have used this a few times and the flights were flawless. I also LOVE the larger size. I bought it new for $249 on amazon.

View attachment 80783
I have a dumb question here. I am looking at buying the 7th Gen. Do you need to have an iPad with Cellular data to use it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman