DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max with a Mavic 2?

RavenManiac

Reactions
I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new iPhone 11 Pro and I was wondering if a Pro Max would be a better option if I'm planning to use it to pilot a Mavic 2. I'm really interested in what you guys think—especially those of you using a similar setup. Thanks!

Similar capabilities; depends on how big a screen you want and how big of a phone you want to carry. The cheaper iPhones will not have as bright a screen as either the 11 Pro or Max. It does seem that iOS is more stable than Androids.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new iPhone 11 Pro and I was wondering if a Pro Max would be a better option if I'm planning to use it to pilot a Mavic 2. I'm really interested in what you guys think—especially those of you using a similar setup. Thanks!
The bigger and brighter the screen the better.

Reactions: bassnbeau
If you're planning on flying missions, waypoints, maps, etc. Get a cheaper phone and an Ipad. DJI Ground Station Pro only runs on the Ipad.

Also you might benefit from the bigger screen anyways.

Reactions: Capt. Steve
The OP is upgrading phones and is trying to decide between two models of the 11; didn't see where he asked about other devices?

Reactions: offshorecl1
The OP is upgrading phones and is trying to decide between two models of the 11; didn't see where he asked about other devices?
That being the case- your claim that iOS might perform better than android OS arguably isn’t particularly helpful either.

The pro max has more screen real estate and will still fit in the standard controller arms with the Apple leather, silicone, and probably other standard cases. Thicker cases can be accommodated but not neatly without modifying the controller.

Which phone are you upgrading from?

That being the case- your claim that iOS might perform better than android OS arguably isn’t particularly helpful either.
Your right, I was responding to the other unhelpful response suggesting an Android; sorry!

Perhaps if you compare the iPhone models it might help you make a decision. Just my opinion but at almost half the price the iPhone XR seems the best bang for the buck. I’d suggest going to an Apple store and comparing them side by side. In the end the only opinion that counts is yours.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Which phone are you upgrading from?

An iPhone 6.

I was considering an iPad mini, but a cellular-enabled iPad mini 5 is expensive—both, for the device and the service. Being the cheapskate that I am, I thought it would be better to get the biggest iPhone possible with the brightest screen.

I’m using the iPhone pro Max with great success. But it isn’t a cheap phone! A new generation iPad mini dedicated to drone use will be less of an investment, but not as useful if dedicated to your drone and not needed for other purposes. I upgraded my iphone from theX to the pro max because the new cameras are fantastic. I admit I’m an Apple fan boy!? I have used the wife’s 4th gen mini iPad and it has a larger screen, but still prefer the Pro Max because I find the larger iPad mini a bit cumbersome for the slightly larger screen and it’s WiFi only, no cell connection. Hope I haven’t confused you further.

I use my iPhone 11 Pro Max and also I have an Apple iPad 11 pro, I use both of these and they work great, of course the iPad has more screen but the iPhone 11 max works great, also one other accessory I use with both is the Mav 3 mount, even with the phone I don’t have to worry about trying to fit it into the holders on the remote controller and can adjust the phone or iPad into different positions suitable.

I upgrade my iPhone 5 SE to the Pro Max and it works great flying my Mini

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I don't think you will go wrong with either one..... I just purchased the iphone 11 Pro for it's size as the max was a bit too large for me to carry around.....both will do a great job

I went with the Pro Max because of its size, the Pro is the Smaller of the three with the 11 being the mid size and the Pro Max the larger. yes the Pro Max is $400 more than the 11

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6S.
I have four batteries for my Mavic Air, and always my trouble was the battery life of my phone. Those four batteries represent about 1 hour of safe flying, and that hour really strained the stamina of my phone.

I now have the basic iPhone 11, and it’s battery is up to task. Plus, I carry a battery charger with me so I can restore some charge between flights. I’m rarely flying a full hour in one location, so I recharge while moving to my next location.

Getting a higher model will give you a slightly larger screen, and if memory serves, slightly better battery life. But understand that when Apple tells you battery times, they’re talking standby times. Running the video feed etc of whatever drone controller software you use is going to greatly accelerate the rate of usage. My old 6S easily lasted a 16 hour day if it didn’t get used much, but struggled to make an hour while working with my drone.

So 3 hours more battery on a higher model iPhone is only going to translate to 5 or 10 minutes as your controller.

I’d say get the base model unless you really want the slightly bigger screen, or have separate reasons to upgrade.

The iphone 11 pro has got the brightest screen although it is not as bright as the DJI smart controller. I didn't buy the 11 pro max simply because it's too large for me for daily use. heavier as well. If you don't mind these get a max for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661