DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else doing this??

Qoncussion

Reactions
I've spent some time this year flying multiple Litchi missions at two different locations, to create a single shot that changes with the seasons. I just finished editing this one today...

I completed this one earlier this year. This one really turned out nice - if I may say so myself :)

If anyone else is doing this, please post your work. I'd love to see it!

Last edited:
what can i say that has not alredy been said a great idea

Awesome videos! Like the other have said, super well done!

Reactions: Qoncussion
Very cool! My only critique is that you should loose the titles on the second one. The season speaks for it's self, and they detract from the natural beauty of the scene.

This was one of the first concepts I wanted to try when I got my Mavic, but I ended up moving to florida where there are no seasons. I first saw it done in a ski film called "All I Can" (visually one of my favorite movies of all time)
They of course didn't have a moving perspective like you do, but instead animated the transition. That too might be something you can play with, it would cover up the momentary misalignment.

Even if you're not a ski fan it's a great sequence, it's timed masterfully to the music, and the spring to winter transitions are in the beginning and the very end

I have to put this other sequence in because again, this is one of my favorite films of all time. This is one of the trailer scenes. Shot quality, timing, use of macro for texture, I just love everything about it.

Very cool! My only critique is that you should loose the titles on the second one. The season speaks for it's self, and they detract from the natural beauty of the scene.

This was one of the first concepts I wanted to try when I got my Mavic, but I ended up moving to florida where there are no seasons. I first saw it done in a ski film called "All I Can" (visually one of my favorite movies of all time)
They of course didn't have a moving perspective like you do, but instead animated the transition. That too might be something you can play with, it would cover up the momentary misalignment.

Even if you're not a ski fan it's a great sequence, it's timed masterfully to the music, and the spring to winter transitions are in the beginning and the very end

I have to put this other sequence in because again, this is one of my favorite films of all time. This is one of the trailer scenes. Shot quality, timing, use of macro for texture, I just love everything about it.
Now that's just really cool. Beautifully done. That's an incredibly creative transition effect.

In my case, using a drone - you really want the shot to be in motion. And, I will admit that those transitions, while not nearly perfect, took hours to align. In most cases they are just 'good enough'. Unfortunately, I found that even with a pre-programmed Litchi mission, the camera tilt and the drone's trajectory were never the same, from flight to flight; close, but not quite.

Reactions: EGS and RTKD

Lit

Reactions: RTKD
In my case, using a drone - you really want the shot to be in motion. And, I will admit that those transitions, while not nearly perfect, took hours to align. In most cases they are just 'good enough'. Unfortunately, I found that even with a pre-programmed Litchi mission, the camera tilt and the drone's trajectory were never the same, from flight to flight; close, but not quite.

Just spitballing, but one way to get around that is to be closer to an object. If a tree or a building fill the frame and you do the transition there, it will be more accurate. Objects farther away are more subject to those minor differences you note.
It's really awesome that you're doing this. Shooting this way adds a huge amount to your production value, and really sets your footage apart in what can feel like a flooding market.

@RTKD WOW!

Everything that Sherpas Cinema touches turns to awesome. You guys should watch All.I.Can, it's a visual and poetic masterpiece that quite literally begins with the birth of the world. I seriously try to bite their style as hard as I can, but I still don't have the kit or the patience.

Check this one out

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Just spitballing, but one way to get around that is to be closer to an object. If a tree or a building fill the frame and you do the transition there, it will be more accurate. Objects farther away are more subject to those minor differences you note.
It's really awesome that you're doing this. Shooting this way adds a huge amount to your production value, and really sets your footage apart in what can feel like a flooding market.

Everything that Sherpas Cinema touches turns to awesome. You guys should watch All.I.Can, it's a visual and poetic masterpiece that quite literally begins with the birth of the world. I seriously try to bite their style as hard as I can, but I still don't have the kit or the patience.

Check this one out
Phenomenal. I hate people who are that creative. It kinda removes all hope for the little guys like me :)

Phenomenal. I hate people who are that creative. It kinda removes all hope for the little guys like me :)
My wife and I call that "Hemingway Hate" It's when you admire an artists work so much that you kinda get mad they can perform at that level. I feel your pain brother

Reactions: Qoncussion

I have another transitional video that contains a close-up object. The problem comes from the camera's down-angle being just slightly different from one shot to the next. Even with a close-up object, there is still a horizon in the distance that moves considerably with just the slightest difference in camera tilt. I may do a little more work on this piece and get it online some day...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones