DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

briano216

Reactions
I purchased a DJI Smart Controller with my Mavic 2 Pro and love it's brightness and convenience. However, I'm very disappointed with its inaccurate orientation of the map. When I callibrate the SC compass its orientation is frequently up to 20 to 25 degrees out. Then when I rotate the SC, it's orientation is inconsistent, as shown in the video at this link - Smart Controller Issue.mp4

I previously had a Mavic Air and used my iPhone with the Air's controller. If I slowly rotated 360 degrees, the map would stay orientated correctly the entire time, as shown in the above video. But when I slowly rotate the SC, its orientation is incorrect most of the time and varies by as much as 40 degrees, as also shown in the above video.

This issue makes it very difficult to ascertain the orientation of the M2P when it is some distance away since the drone symbol on the map (the red paper plane) will also be orientated incorrectly and so will the drone symbol shown in the circle in the bottom left of the screen (the radar).

I took the SC to the technicians at DJI in Melbourne and they couldn't fix it. They tried one they had there and said it also had orientation issues. I asked Rise Above in Sydney (where I purchased the SC and M2P) to test another unit and they found it had the same issue. This is very disconcerting as it suggests that all SCs have this issue so I don't know what to do.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerMav
same here, I always check before a fly off that the drone is pointing the same way as the red arrow on the map, but for the life of me I cant get it to do it anymore, no amount of drone or sc compass calibration will sort it, throws me off not knowing which way the drone is pointing by looking at the map or the circle thingy.

Last edited:
Nope. Mine is fine. That being said. I refuse to update the SC. Both my zoom and controller work fine. As with any DJI I’ve ever owned. I stop updating once I get a setup that works fine. I’m betting it’s something to do with an update.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Reactions: ff22
As I highlighted at the top of this thread, I had issues originally. But I was so in love with being able to actually see where the drone was flying as opposed to using my phone, that I stuck with the SC despite the orientation issues. Somewhere along the way it resolved itself, because I don't have the issue any more. When I used to use my phone (with a Mavic Air I had) I was always struggling to see the image. No more!!!! I love the SC!!! Hope your's comes right!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S