DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Cell Service/Data Needed or Not?

One of the considerations on the cell version of the iPad is the resale value. Wifi with cell will be higher and a bit easier to unload.

It fits. The remote was practically designed for the iPad Mini. Almost just said "Mini" but that would be ambiguous in this context, now that we have a Mavic Mini.
Basically what you do is open the arms as wide as they go, then fit the corners of the iPad in the slots in the arms. The rubber of the arms holds the iPad tight.

My daughter woke up and I was able to use her mini.

You are right sir, It fits, the arms have to be extended all the way and they are under max angle, only tips of the mini corner fit, but it feels quite secure.

having said that, you will need longer cable then one provided from DJI, to connect it to the controller.

Alright, new worry. I now become aware the Ipad Mini WIFI does NOT have built-in GPS. Looks like WIFI-Cell model does. I ordered just a WIFI version. Is this going to be a problem?

(Really, Apple made tablets with no GPS? Even the cheapest Android tablets have it!)

By looking at the Privacy settings in fly app, it seems you will be able to fly, but you will not have few functions:

-Find my Drone
-Map in the camera view

With Go it could, especially if you do not turn off the app after caching. Not certain with Fly but likely will stick at least as long as the app remains running.
it should be same, plus, to re-iterate to everybody - it really is the best practice to have wi-fi and bluetooth on the phone/tablet turned off when you fly, at all times. you do not need any internet connection when you operate DJI device. it is the safest way to avoid dealing with things you do not want to deal with.

Hi I am a new Drone owner. Been trying to figure out alternatives to using my iPhone 8plus.
Was finally explained by a fellow Mavic Pro owner that the controller has the GPS that the Drone Communicates with not the iPad mini or your cellphone.
Makes sense to me.
Just asking can you fly with the controller only?
Still trying to figure it all out.
Just bought a used IPad Mini 4 with WiFi no cellular. Getting it next week.
Hopping I did not make a mistake!!

Just bought a used IPad Mini 4 with WiFi no cellular. Getting it next week.
Hopping I did not make a mistake!!

You'll be fine . . . does the mini 4 automatically have GPS inbuilt ?
I think so, as it's needed to give you map on the screen (that you can use to see where / what orientation your drone is at).

"Just asking can you fly with the controller only ?"
You have a Mavic Pro ("explained by a fellow Mavic Pro owner") ?

This thread is about the mini, but with the pro (and no doubt the mini) you can easily fly with just controller.
Most people do this just for a bit of fun sometimes, or run out battery in sports mode.
You should keep it very close and be able to see exactly what's going on, a lot harder than using a FPV screen.
There are ways to read the distance away reading (MP only) combined with movement to get it coming back, or simple RTH function will start any drone coming home.

Reactions: Jovito
You'll be fine . . . does the mini 4 automatically have GPS inbuilt ?
I think so, as it's needed to give you map on the screen (that you can use to see where / what orientation your drone is at)

I’m pretty sure that only the cellular iPads have inbuilt GPS. You can use cellular iPads for navigation.

I’m pretty sure that only the cellular iPads have inbuilt GPS. You can use cellular iPads for navigation.
You are correct, only cellular iPads have GPS.
I'm confused about your last statement though. GPS isn't really needed on remote to fly.

As the OP, so far what I THINK I have found is the wifi only will work but minus several features.

1. Return to Home point can't be reset during flight.
2. Find My Drone won't work.
3. Built-in map may not work or at least not update.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me.

For me, as a new pilot, the Find My Drone is a big deal. (Map would be nice too) Because of that, I am returning the wifi only Ipad Mini and getting the one with cell capability to have the GPS.

Reset HP will only work setting to AC position.
Find My Drone will be limited, but I found it has an alternative mode to use iOS location services, which has other means, mainly Wi-Fi, to get an appropriate location. It won't be dynamic though.
Other functions of FMD will work, as long as you still have an AC signal.

Reactions: tribar
Can maps be pre-loaded before the flight or is this something that must be done live.
BTW - please excuse my total lack of knowledge - I am new to all this.
Yes, you can pre-load areas of the map, sorry, I do not know the steps off hand, but I believe you "just" power up the drone and controller, go to map view in DJI app, scroll the map to the area you plan to fly, there is also a setting in DJI GO to "cache maps", that should be enabled. I have seen several threads on this forum with details, try a forum search.

Alright, new worry. I now become aware the Ipad Mini WIFI does NOT have built-in GPS. Looks like WIFI-Cell model does. I ordered just a WIFI version. Is this going to be a problem?

(Really, Apple made tablets with no GPS? Even the cheapest Android tablets have it!)
I use an Ipad mini with no cell or gps when I fly my Mavic Pro from my backyard. It has no cell service but is still in range of wifi and works well. As Starz mentioned earlier, if you are out of Wifi range you may not be able to download maps.

From my understanding the controller has the GPS so you are not using the GPS from your phone or tablet. Not 100% sure of this but makes sense when you think about it.
This is in reference to the Mavic Pro and maybe some others.
Does anyone have info about this?

Last edited:
I use a iPad Mini 2 with my Mavic Air with no issues

But that's with Go4 yeah ?
This is asking about Fly and the Mavic Mini ?

I'm not sure if the ipad mini 2 does work with the MM, but I'm sure a quick google asking will tell you.
Hmm, found it on the DJI MAvic Mini dwnloads page, click supported devices under the app store link . . .

Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

It only has this . . .

Supported devices
iOS Version V 1.0.1
Requires iOS 10.0 or above.

Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6.

No mention of ipads at all !!
Haven't seen or heard of this, thought ipads were generally ok, and same as other phone IOS devices.

I'm not sure if the ipad mini 2 does work with the MM, but I'm sure a quick google asking will tell you.
Hmm, found it on the DJI MAvic Mini dwnloads page, click supported devices under the app store link . . .

Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

It only has this . . .

Supported devices
iOS Version V 1.0.1
Requires iOS 10.0 or above.

Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6.

No mention of ipads at all !!
Haven't seen or heard of this, thought ipads were generally ok, and same as other phone IOS devices.

Apparently all is good with ipads, at least the mini 4 . . .

i cant see why the MM wont work the same as my MPP with my ipad wifi only 9.7 inch 6th gen 32 gig that is what i plan to use when it arrives,i have already loaded the new app no problems just not full screen yet like the go4 i have it pared to the bone as far as apps are concerned and only have those active that are needed for flight, never had any issues with the go4 app so i will have to see if the fly app works when my drone arrives

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun