DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is everyone upgrading to the Platinum props?

If I need an extra set then I may switch over but until then I'm happy with what i've got.

I am on my second set of regular props. A couple of crashes and some grass cutting sent the original set to the trash. The set I have now is still going strong but I don't have a backup set. So when they are available I most likely will get a set of the Platinum. Plus who doesn't want to make even more quiet.

DJI is claiming a total noise reduction of 4db
This is a combination of the props, motors and ESC's
So if we assume that the props contribute to half of that, then we can estimate a 2db reduction in noise.
To the average full functioning human ear, this difference is basically indiscernible.
Personally, I think they look cool and will get a set because I could a spare set.

My first instinct would be to buy a set but since I don't need them now, I'm just going to wait for the millions of reviews once they are made available and people try them.

Below is a clip with the MPP flying.

I have to say that the props do sound much quieter, although in person might be different.... but

Doesn't sound like a drone anymore.
I do think the Mavic Pros will get the same benefits as the Platinum both in sound and efficiency.
I cant see how much difference the upgraded ESCs will make.
I guess we will find out mid month.

If you wonder what -4db sound reduction sounds like... well it's not a lot...
Check this out:

A dji tech told members of the dji forum in order to use the new props you will need to update to the most recent firmware. Most of those that responded say they feel the tech's post was just a ploy to get the control back over users once again.

Reactions: rigor and PT_Mavic
Its like the diesel discussion. manufacturers say that the cars have little CO2 emission. In reality its........ So I think you hardly notice the difference. I will read it here if I'm wrong.

What happens if we mix new props with old? Probably a very bad idea.
I'm not so sure. I'd think that ideally, yes, you want four of the same props on there, but if push comes to shove I think the motors are going to adjust RPM as needed to hold position. The mavic won't know why it is working harder on some motors than others, but it'll work regardless.

I did have the same question, though, as I'll only buy one set of the new props. If I damage one, my spares will be the old props.
A dji tech told members of the dji forum in order to use the new props you will need to update to the most recent firmware. Most of those that responded say they feel the tech's post was just a ploy to get the control back over users once again.
For the reasons discussed above, I would say this is ridiculous.
However, there could certainly be some very minor tweaks to the firmware if the swing weight of the props change. Perhaps they have baseline RPMs for certain situations that will be slightly tweaked.

But yeah, I can't see anyone noticing and if you really need the latest firmware they should make that really clear on the order page.

Definitely! Pre ordered mine. There's a definite difference in noise. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Depends on your own personal application of course.

I have go spares too, but the quieter blades are attractive, Anything to cut down the on the number who see the drone, and then in some cases start complaining about this dangerous killing machine that crashes into people every time that they are seen.

Reactions: MrsTreat
So is everyone going Mavic Pro with Platinum props?
I ordered a set, if for no other reason than the gold tip which matches the Mavic. The tip is gold right? I am colorblind which may seem odd that one of the reasons I bought them was for the color. I may be colorblind but I do know that the white tip of the original props don't match. I'll post results and thoughts when they arrive.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan