DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it illegal to fly over main roads

Just fly that little bad boy. I don’t think 249 g is going to kill a car

Or a motorcyclist? Worse still it could be some one in an open top car or with a sun roof.
In any case it could cause some one to swerve.
It's people like you have have caused the rapid tightneing up of all the laws on drones.

At least the OP had permission from Aldi to fly from their car park.....

I'm assuming that as the OP is in Ireland, the rules are going to be the same EU-wide rules that we have in the UK. In which case it is perfectly legal to fly over roads, but only at altitude and not for any longer than necessary (ie no hovering or going along above it). It looks like Ireland is a bit more lenient than the UK, as it only states 30m away from people, vehicles or buildings not in your control rather than the 50m we have here.

Have a look at this IAA web page. Very nice summary and lots of information: Drones

Hi welcome to the group, I have a mini as well . I am still learning only got about 45 flights in. I like to be back further if you want to capture the traffic, I also like to fly more parallel to the road in case you do have a issue with uncommanded descents. I personally look at each flight as what can go wrong and how can I be safe and not lose the drone or hurt people. Have fun it's a great little drone .

Reactions: Fran duncan
Perhaps it may not kill the car, but what about the occupants. Imagine the MM just falling out of the sky at altitude of 50-100-150 feet on to the windscreen of your car while driving along at 40-50 mph. Boom it hits your windscreen, you instinctively look at the new spiderweb and up to the sky while slamming on your brakes and skidding who knows where. Perhaps headlong into a lori or off into the ditch. Then again, maybe it just simply crashes on the road in front or just behind your auto. Just a possibility, that’s all.

Perhaps it may not kill the car, but what about the occupants. Imagine the MM just falling out of the sky at altitude of 50-100-150 feet on to the windscreen of your car while driving along at 40-50 mph. Boom it hits your windscreen, you instinctively look at the new spiderweb and up to the sky while slamming on your brakes and skidding who knows where. Perhaps headlong into a lori or off into the ditch. Then again, maybe it just simply crashes on the road in front or just behind your auto. Just a possibility, that’s all.
Only new to drone so wont happen again as I know the rules now thanks

Reactions: Silverback60
Or a motorcyclist? Worse still it could be some one in an open top car or with a sun roof.
In any case it could cause some one to swerve.
It's people like you have have caused the rapid tightneing up of all the laws on drones.

At least the OP had permission from Aldi to fly from their car park.....
There was no harm done I'm only new and when you started out dont say you didn't fly like me cause everyone that starts want to get it into the air so everyone makes mistakes I've learned mine and I'm not the cause off new laws I did it once not realizing the dangers

He hast to learn some time. You read enough on here you will learn what not to do. ?

I can categorically state I didn't fly like you when I started out!
Well were different so it was the excitement off getting it into the air with me but look I've learned from my mistakes wont happen again but look we all have opinions and I certainly didn't mean to so what I did so I put my hands up thanks for the feebl back

No it’s not, you’re quite right.

What it will be though is one heck of a distraction to the driver if the drone fell out of the sky and hit the car. The X thousand g car is going to kill a pedestrian...think it through!

No it’s not, you’re quite right.

What it will be though is one heck of a distraction to the driver if the drone fell out of the sky and hit the car. The X thousand g car is going to kill a pedestrian...think it through!
Cheers pal only new to the drone so will not happen again

Hi Fran, I would advise to read of some of the rules and regs. Click the link.HERE Boring and full of stuff you probably will not understand but give it a shot. That way if someone has a 'go' at you then you have an idea of what is against the rules and what is not.

A good thing to do is to think of how you would react to a drone suddenly appearing unexpectedly. Drones can fail sometimes and it has been known to give more than a lump on the head from the impact. You have to bear that in mind.

We have all made unintentional mistakes - even the experts on the forum, and they still do. Its a never ending learning process so don't worry. We all live and learn.

Best of luck - oh - and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Fran duncan
Hi Fran, I would advise to read of some of the rules and regs. Click the link.HERE Boring and full of stuff you probably will not understand but give it a shot. That way if someone has a 'go' at you then you have an idea of what is against the rules and what is not.

A good thing to do is to think of how you would react to a drone suddenly appearing unexpectedly. Drones can fail sometimes and it has been known to give more than a lump on the head from the impact. You have to bear that in mind.

We have all made unintentional mistakes - even the experts on the forum, and they still do. Its a never ending learning process so don't worry. We all live and learn.

Best of luck - oh - and welcome to the forum.
Cheers pal live and learn

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edy44