DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it illegal to fly over main roads

It looks to me that your not actually flying over (across) but along the highway. So I guess as long as another drone doesn't come up behind you and flash its lights to pass you would be good to go.......

Reactions: Fran duncan
It is all about relative velocity. A piece of foam weighing just 750g caused enough damage to the Space Shuttle Columbia to cause its destruction. A car moving at highway speeds meeting a 249g drone moving in the opposite direction could have devastating consequences.

A motorcyclist would be in danger if that thing hit him, helmet or no. I think too a Mini crash landing on somebody's head in the parking lot would sting and probably leave a mark.

In the USA it would be illegal. I have not researched the EU, but you could look at this site to see what it says. Also, check out this link. Finally, here is the home page of UAVCoach that lets you search for regulations by country and USA states.

dont take it personally my fellow flier

@Fran duncan ^^ this

Many will jump on a thead and read the first post, then reply, without bothering to read the follow ups posted.
You asked the question (responsible) and have learned from others (a really good step), so and that's what the forum is about.

The pummelling can stop now ?

Enjoy the new drone, I see you posted some video up, will go take a look.

@Fran duncan ^^ this

Many will jump on a thead and read the first post, then reply, without bothering to read the follow ups posted.
You asked the question (responsible) and have learned from others (a really good step), so and that's what the forum is about.

The pummelling can stop now ?

Enjoy the new drone, I see you posted some video up, will go take a look.
Thanks pal

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
`
Only new to drone so wont happen again as I know the rules now thanks
Don't sweat it. I bought my Mavic Pro in 2017 and didn't know about airspace or FAA rules and took some questionable flights myself. The guys who first introduced me to quads just flew them and never suggested to me there were any guidelines to follow at all. Youtube and others sites have older videos showing flights (in the US) that were considered acceptable when dealing with the old FAA recreational flight rules so if the video was made during that time they might be perfectly legal. The FAA rules were revised and the grey areas were cleaned up but those old videos are still all over the web. You see a cool video and think, man I want to do that. Even today many newbies who purchase a multirotor might think of them more as robotic camera and fly out of compliance not knowing they are breaking airspace rules. This site helped me get on the right track in understanding how to operate w/i the NAS. Research the rules for your area and go enjoy your new purchase.

`

Don't sweat it. I bought my Mavic Pro in 2017 and didn't know about airspace or FAA rules and took some questionable flights myself. The guys who first introduced me to quads just flew them and never suggested to me there were any guidelines to follow at all. Youtube and others sites have older videos showing flights (in the US) that were considered acceptable when dealing with the old FAA recreational flight rules so if the video was made during that time they might be perfectly legal. The FAA rules were revised and the grey areas were cleaned up but those old videos are still all over the web. You see a cool video and think, man I want to do that. Even today many newbies who purchase a multirotor might think of them more as robotic camera and fly out of compliance not knowing they are breaking airspace rules. This site helped me get on the right track in understanding how to operate w/i the NAS. Research the rules for your area and go enjoy your new purchase.
Thanks for your support

There are still plenty of people out there that have no idea about the rules. They just buy drones charge the batteries and fly.

There are still plenty of people out there that have no idea about the rules. They just buy drones charge the batteries and fly.

I feel this applies to a majority of new pilots.
You only have to read how many post #1's are made in the crash section to see how many fail to do a little research before buying & flying.

This sort of forum and YouTube tutorials, 2 places that enable you to find out fast how to fly legal, safe, and not get into too much trouble ?

Being a new flyer I didn't know but now I do thanks

Not a valid excuse. In future ventures which are new for you, I suggest you educate yourself before you act.

You don't buy a car and drive it at 100 mph before you know the rules of the road. You learn the rules first.

Good luck with your subsequent flights.

Not a valid excuse. In future ventures which are new for you, I suggest you educate yourself before you act.

That is a salient reminder to all of us: Ignorance is no defense in law.

Though you can be forgiven for thinking a Mavic 2 Air is a toy not an aircraft. How many new sUAV flyers buy one and have no idea that this "toy" is treated very differently to the other toy they had that cost £/$20 and they flew around the house.

Perhaps commercial sellers should have to include a piece of paper saying there are regulations and where to get them? Or maybe a link of the sellers web site. They do this for airsoft guns. in the UK.

Perhaps commercial sellers should have to include a piece of paper saying there are regulations and where to get them? Or maybe a link of the sellers web site. They do this for airsoft guns. in the UK.

This has to happen surely now that the new registration / simple rules tests etc are coming in to a lot of countries.

Here in Oz, the MAAA has been pushing these info leaflets to retail drone shops, and pretty sure I got one in with my Zero-X Raptor some years ago.
I think they might even be in with DJI aircraft now too (can any Aussies who've bought in the past year or so confirm ?).

maaa_drones.jpg

Hi Nice video but go into your settings and calm them down so you get smoother turns, I suggest that if you are going to cross any road with traffic then you need to fly higher than you were so that only drivers can see your bird a long way back and not fairly close as you were and so no distractions.

I have many things I could say, but none would be more valuable than pointing out from your footage that in the background there's a huge EMPTY FIELD that would be the perfect area to fly from. Safe place to learn the basics. I can't for see flying anywhere with congested traffic and pedestrians. One thing to keep in mind is one accident can cause a lifetime of pain and suffering for someone.. or for many...

Reactions: jagraphics
BTW Insurance. I don't mean the House and Contents Insurance that covers you if the droneis damaged but Public Liability if you cause damage to something/some one else.
Mine covers me for £5milion. what's yours?
The person you hit (or their property you damage ) doesn't care if you are commercial or recreational they WILL claim off you.
IF you cause a car to swerve and crash it is not just the small dent to the car, and or the whiplash etc it is all the other expenses like not working for a week, hiring a car to cover. etc
Their insurance company WILL go after you to recover their costs.

Reactions: Rchawks
Hi Nice video but go into your settings and calm them down so you get smoother turns, I suggest that if you are going to cross any road with traffic then you need to fly higher than you were so that only drivers can see your bird a long way back and not fairly close as you were and so no distractions.
How do I do that pal smoother turns

I second, third (or whatever) other comments here. I would also add that the MM is note safety certified to fly over people - i.e. who are not in their cars - and you did that more than once.

You flew over what appears to be an N single-digit series road. On your second flight, do you think that was reasonable?

Three questions:
1. Did you have the landowner’s permission for take off and landing? (It’s not clear where the take off is from)
2. Did you fly more than 300m away from you?
3. Did you fly within 30m (at any altitude) of a person *or vehicle* not under your direct control?

Check the iaa.ie website for the rules.

I think “reckless” is probably the word for describing this flight, particularly at your age and level of experience. It seems that there wasn’t even a degree of common sense applied here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_