DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it just me? Unlocking a restricted area...

Melvoid

Reactions
WOW! They're building a new bridge right on the very edge of a blue "Authorization Zone." It's about 4 miles from an uncontrolled airport. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I managed to figure out how to unlock the area from home on the computer. There's no phone signal there, so I have to do it at home in advance.

I tried once before and gave up, frustrated. Whatever I did today, seems to have worked, though. I'm about to go out and see if it really does.

Will report back.

Reactions: JimSteadman
What kind of problems were you having?

For me, it has always been a straightforward process. However, if the area is in a LAANC approval zone that has a maximum AGL, you have to get a waiver through the FAA and provide the documentation to DJI to get the unlock

My main issue was getting through it and getting an authorization number sent.

It said it was accepted and I did get a text with a number. I guess I tried it twice, so when I got out there, I tried it and it didn't accept the number. I left. Then, I saw another message came in with a different number, so I went back, but this time it said it needed a better connection so I wasn't given the screen to enter the number.

Part of the issue is probably bad cell phone coverage in the area. A few months ago I was in the same place and got no restrictions. Since then I got the authorization message but it still let me take off. I could kind of see through and around it, so for the short flight I needed, I managed. But it still seems clunky. I guess I need to practice a bit more.

Heavy sigh.

My main issue was getting through it and getting an authorization number sent.

It said it was accepted and I did get a text with a number. I guess I tried it twice, so when I got out there, I tried it and it didn't accept the number. I left. Then, I saw another message came in with a different number, so I went back, but this time it said it needed a better connection so I wasn't given the screen to enter the number.

Part of the issue is probably bad cell phone coverage in the area. A few months ago I was in the same place and got no restrictions. Since then I got the authorization message but it still let me take off. I could kind of see through and around it, so for the short flight I needed, I managed. But it still seems clunky. I guess I need to practice a bit more.

Heavy sigh.
You can upload the code to the drone at home before heading out.

it this by DJI or FAA?

OHHHH! I did not know that. Thanks!!
Yeah, I always do just in case :) then when you get on site you can scroll down and view the unlock licenses and make sure that it is imported to the aircraft.

I feel so inept. I repeatedly have trouble getting authorization. I try to fly, and am told I need to "Unlock." I hit the Unlock button and return to the fly icon. Trying to takeoff, I get the same message. Sometimes I do not have that problem Arghh. My plane is a Mini 2.

I feel so inept. I repeatedly have trouble getting authorization. I try to fly, and am told I need to "Unlock." I hit the Unlock button and return to the fly icon. Trying to takeoff, I get the same message. Sometimes I do not have that problem Arghh. My plane is a Mini 2.
Don't feel bad, get used to it. SeveralI people have issues, I have had multiple times when I have been forced to ATTEMPT to get authorization (with limits) in areas that the FAA shows having no restrictions. Once I was in the desert with no cell reception even if their system did work. Unfortunately, this is the DJI nanny at its finest.

Sometimes I do not have that problem Arghh.
Are you logged in to your account? I had that problem last week, and it turned out I'm been logged out of my account on the controller. I didn't notice because I could still fly to the usual height and distance, but it wouldn't let me authorize. Problem vanished once checked and logged in.

Don't feel bad, get used to it. SeveralI people have issues, I have had multiple times when I have been forced to ATTEMPT to get authorization (with limits) in areas that the FAA shows having no restrictions. Once I was in the desert with no cell reception even if their system did work. Unfortunately, this is the DJI nanny at its finest.
There's one spot, right on the edge of a restricted area that works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. In addition, sometimes I get a warning on the screen, but I can fly anyway. I can see well enough to get what I want (bridge construction on a river), so I just do it. Only a few minutes in the air and never over 100'. It's 4 miles from an uncontrolled small airport, so I figure if a plane is at 100' over the river among the rocky bluffs that exist there, he's got bigger problems than my quadcopter ;-).

There's one spot, right on the edge of a restricted area that works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. In addition, sometimes I get a warning on the screen, but I can fly anyway. I can see well enough to get what I want (bridge construction on a river), so I just do it. Only a few minutes in the air and never over 100'. It's 4 miles from an uncontrolled small airport, so I figure if a plane is at 100' over the river among the rocky bluffs that exist there, he's got bigger problems than my quadcopter ;-).
I am indeed at the edge of an authorization zone. I tried to walk across the street to get out of it, but to no avail. In contrast with the mounting frustration of yesterday, I unlocked with no trouble today.

He certainly does.

He has a 500' AGL floor that's as real as the UAS 400' ceiling.

@Vic Moss reminded me the other day how important this is for traffic separation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots