DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to launch a drone from a city sidewalk in LA?

That is an interesting video. I think the police officer did good job explaining why drones were not permitted to fly over the parking lot and record images. This would be a good video to send to the FAA and ask for clarification whether a property owner like the LAPD can prohibit drone flights over their property under trespass, nuisance, privacy invasion or any other theory.
If there's a jail there, for sure no-fly.

I fly The Apollo Field now and then, but you need to do a DJI custom unlock. It's Class D Surface Airspace. The field itself has a permanent waiver up to 250'. Make sure your RTH is lower than that or the drone will just hover if it reaches max ceiling.

In spite of what I have seen on several different blogs listing 4 city parks good for drones, there are no city parks in Los Angeles that are legal to land or launch from except AMA spots. There's an old law in the books that talks about any type of aircraft. It is legal to fly in Los Angeles, but so few spots to launch from. Of course you can fly over them but I am wondering if anyone knows if launching from the sidewalk is legal? Except for a handful of shopping districts, most sidewalks in LA are completely free of pedestrians. I cant seem to find any law prohibiting it. Anyone know the answer?
I would not know weather it is legal in Los Angeles or not as many municipalities will create their own rules….it’s ok somewhat next door in Riverside, Ca I retired from there……however, launching from a concrete slab with rebar can cause some magnetic problems. Better to take off on the asphalt.

WDK

Last edited:
If there's a jail there, for sure no-fly.
Right, but the police officer clearly told the pilot if you fly over the property line and take images we will trespass you. That is exactly what the FAA claims no one has authority to do.

I would not know weather it is legal to Los Angeles or not as many municipalities will created their own rules….it’s ok somewhat next door in Riverside, Ca I retired from there……however, launching from a concrete slab with rebar can cause some magnetic problems. Better to take off on the asphalt.

WDK
I have a plastic stool to launch from, or in a pinch use the GPC plastic carrying case. Never an issue.

Reactions: WDKZoom
Are you guys allowed to fly closer than 30 metre of people not involved in the drone operations?

Was it not LA where someone clipped a powerline and crashed into the side of a building and then the UAS came tumbling down and burst into flames on the sidewalk with people walking all around in the area?
You mean this? Looks like it was flying pretty low, not a tall building and very congested area to be in the first place. Nothing about hitting a building or bursting into flames. A little over dramatic. Expensive drone though. Of course the city overreacted and passed a craze over reaching law with such things as requiring every drone to be registered by the city separately from the FAA and physically brought into city hall to be inspected to receive a sticker and pay a city fee. That was before 2018 so I don't think that's legal, but I could be wrong.

"Cities and municipalities are not permitted to have their own rules or regulations governing the operation of aircraft."-FAA

To put this into context, palm trees falling during a light storm have caused more dramatic power outages. Just saying.

Drone hits West Hollywood power lines, causes power outage

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
Your seat belt comment brought this to mind: "Approximately 52 percent of all car accidents occur within a five-mile radius of home, and 69 percent of all collisions happen within a 10-mile radius from home."
Yes, I know that stat. However, in my case, the cop saw me while I was at the light at a full stop, was actually a traffic light not a stop sign. He sat there for a couple of minutes behind me, I saw him, he obviously knew he was going to give me a ticket but waited until it turned green and I crossed the street so he could say it was a moving violation. He had no problem with me going into "dangerous" cross traffic without that seat belt so he could write the ticket.

Reactions: thispilothere
Go to Apollo. Good guys over there. Straight shot up the 101 from Hollywood.

View attachment 144003
Dont you have to join the AMA to use that field? $100-200? Plus, what good is a dirt patch for a camera drone, I could see for racing drones for practice, but not very exiting pictures for a cam drone there. That place in an hour drive from where I live in the city.

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
Dont you have to join the AMA to use that field? $100-200? Plus, what good is a dirt patch for a camera drone, I could see for racing drones for practice, but not very exiting pictures for a cam drone there. That place in an hour drive from where I live in the city.
No fee and no membership required.

You mean this? Looks like it was flying pretty low, not a tall building and very congested area to be in the first place. Nothing about hitting a building or bursting into flames. A little over dramatic. Expensive drone though. Of course the city overreacted and passed a craze over reaching law with such things as requiring every drone to be registered by the city separately from the FAA and physically brought into city hall to be inspected to receive a sticker and pay a city fee. That was before 2018 so I don't think that's legal, but I could be wrong.

"Cities and municipalities are not permitted to have their own rules or regulations governing the operation of aircraft."-FAA

To put this into context, palm trees falling during a light storm have caused more dramatic power outages. Just saying.

NEGATIVE! The one I'm talking about did indeed burst into flames on the sidewalk. It was a Phantom-like (maybe a clone I can't say) which we see in all the clips and images used in news reports. But it did indeed catch fire (Which is very possible with any of our high energy Lithium based batteries) and literally burned up with people watching and walking by. I'll did into it and see if I can find an article or something similar. I can't say for sure it was LA or even in California but for some reason I was thinking LA.

... A little over dramatic. Expensive drone though. ......

I'm anything but "over dramatic" as I call it like it's reported and documented. I'm not sure any better way to state "the drone smashed into the building, crashed down to the sidewalk below, caught on fire, and burned right there in front of people"..... Do tell . . . .

Did you know that the FAA actually has "endorsed" states being able to "enact" rules on aircraft? So long as they don't impede on FAA rules and don't try to "Regulate Airspace". In one of our seminars here in North Carolina we actually had DOT/FAA representatives on hand and they agreed that North Carolina's UAS Permit requirements are legal and do not impede upon FAA's regulations in any way. In fact, during a Live FAA UAS webinar in 2016/2017 the FAA's own Kevin Morris actually talked about this and how it's perfectly legal the way NC has done this.

It depends entirely on how the law is written and what it actually does so a broad statement like you cited isn't actually accurate.

Trying to deflect like that serves NO ONE! We have no control over Mother Nature but we can control the boneheads who fly recklessly and cause harm, disruptions, or damage from their actions. At the very least we can cite and FINE them till they can't afford to do those actions again and serve as an example to others with a similar mindsets as a deterrent.

Reactions: snowghost
Did you know that the FAA actually has "endorsed" states being able to "enact" rules on aircraft? So long as they don't impede on FAA rules and don't try to "Regulate Airspace".
Yes, I know states can do that, I was referring the the City of West Hollywood where that video I posted took place. The city is trying to regulate airspace. They also require you to register your drone with the city and have it inspected by the city and pay a fee and get some sticker. That's the part I thought only the FAA or state can do.

Yes, I know states can do that, I was referring the the City of West Hollywood where that video I posted took place. The city is trying to regulate airspace. They also require you to register your drone with the city and have it inspected by the city and pay a fee and get some sticker. That's the part I thought only the FAA or state can do.
I had posted a couple weeks ago regarding West Hollywood and @Vic Moss contacted the city manager's office to enlighten them. Haven't heard anything more. But agree their rules are way overreacting.

Reactions: kjonyou
I had posted a couple weeks ago regarding West Hollywood and @Vic Moss contacted the city manager's office to enlighten them. Haven't heard anything more. But agree their rules are way overreacting.
I never heard back either. But that's to be expected. Most don't care.

I used to work next to the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank. Always thought it'd be cool to do a POI around the water tower on the studio lot. It's Class C with LAANC approval for up to 100'. As an employee of WB at the time I mentioned my fantasy flight to one of the other managers. He thought I was seriously going to do it and reported me. I got verbally reprimanded for even discussing it and was told never to speak of drones again. LOL

As an aside, Local ordinance says no drones within 50' of a studio. Also can't record private fenced houses or hover over private property etc. Wonder if that's really enforceable. The hovering over somebody's yard I get, but doing a video of the area would undoubtedly included many fenced in homes.

Last edited:
I used to work next to the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank. Always thought it'd be cool to do a POI around the water tower on the studio lot. It's Class C with LAANC approval for up to 100'. As an employee of WB at the time I mentioned my fantasy flight to one of the other managers. He thought I was seriously going to do it and reported me. I got verbally reprimanded for even discussing it and was told never to speak of drones again. LOL
Paranoia at the corporate level. But as an employee, they could fire you.

As an aside, Local ordinance says no drones within 50' of a studio. Also can't record private fenced houses or hover over private property etc. Wonder if that's really enforceable.
Is it enforceable? Yes it is. A city can pass an ordinance that says everyone must wear pink leopard print shirts on the first Monday of the month. And they could enforcement.

The question is, would they win if challenged.

In this case, there is plenty of SCOTUS case law that would go against them in court. They'd likely lose. But it also depends on the local judge. Some may not like drones. So they may rule in favor of the city. It would then have to be appealed up the latter.

Eventually the drone operator would likely prevail, but at what cost?
The hovering over somebody's yard I get, but doing a video of the area would undoubtedly included many fenced in homes.
Also a good point. Anything visible from the air is not protected by "Reasonable Expectation of Privacy" rulings. But see above if you want to challenge that.

I never heard back either. But that's to be expected. Most don't care.
Yeah, typcial, but they will use it to contuine to scare people. They should seriously be foreced to take that off the books if it's not legal. Or at least answer the questions. Having their cake and eating it too. That's why they didnt answer.

He thought I was seriously going to do it and reported me. I got verbally reprimanded for even discussing it and was told never to speak of drones again. LOL
LMFAO, what kind of power trip were they on? I used to work in that industry, those people, even the lowest mangers think they are literal gods. News flash, most people in LA don't work in the entertainment industry, no one cares about your self proclaimed status. That industry was so toxic I felt like I needed to take a shower every day as soon as I left from work.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom