DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to launch a drone from a city sidewalk in LA?

...and/or B4UFly

While you should ALWAYS check airspace none of the apps we use will have anything about Land Use Restrictions like those discussed in this thread. Check airspace AND local authorities for rules & regulations.

Good morning to all-
More and more I am becoming happier and happier that I live way back in the puckerbrush away from cities, municipalities, and other sources of regulation. I think trying fly a drone in ANY city would be a bad thing to do, and I expect trouble would soon ensue.

I understand the no-fly regulations around airports, military bases and jails. that's why I don't even approach such places.

When it comes to flying drones, in my opinion, it's just like most human activity: The more folks, the more trouble. The fewer folks, the better for all concerned.

Lord, I would hate to live in LA or any other big city.

good day to all- Ed

The police would probably say no regardless of what the law actually says. I would not antagonize them. Don't do this:

Just have to throw in my 2 cents here: I think people like these are just activists looking do be obnoxious and bait their prey. I consider them total D-Bags. The girl with her stilts comment, the guy with his 'I record cops' shirt, flying the drone that low and just waiting to be confronted. The comment: we are here to hold the accountable...for what??
People like this only bring negative publicity to the hobby and are very unwelcome as far as I am concerned.
The police sergeant was professional (and didn't respond when they tried to say he was mad) and forthcoming with the information as he saw it. He didn't waiver at the 'mistaken bacon' line which is purely a derogatory title.
Paople like consider themselves do-gooder etc. and all they really are is trouble makers that would be better off getting a job and contributing positively to society than trying to create discord and make themselves seem important while detracting from what I consider to be a great hobby.

Reactions: kjonyou
There is one other possible factor.
If the Police Station is also a "place of incarceration" you are prohibited from flying over it.
Sorry, I reread all of the posts and see that this has been mentioned.

My DJI app came up with a warning about a geozone over prison not far from my house about. I didn't even know it was there. Part of the local police station. I almost didnt fly. When I got home, checked it on the map, sure enough one building about 1/2 mile away all in red restricted for flyover. Tiny spot I never noticed before on the map. Not the typical circle or radius you usually see. If I were to fly around it, lose GPS and it went into auto RTH, I could lose the drone. It would just stop and drain out the battery. Mini 2 not smart enough to go around it.

My DJI app came up with a warning about a geozone over prison not far from my house about. I didn't even know it was there. Part of the local police station. I almost didnt fly. When I got home, checked it on the map, sure enough one building about 1/2 mile away all in red restricted for flyover. Tiny spot I never noticed before on the map. Not the typical circle or radius you usually see. If I were to fly around it, lose GPS and it went into auto RTH, I could lose the drone. It would just stop and drain out the battery. Mini 2 not smart enough to go around it.
The reason for this is that drugs and other disallowed items are flown into correctional facilities via drones.
I have a patent for "Detection and interdiction of drones with respect to controlled-environment facilities"

Last edited:
Reactions: NicknMorty
"The reason for this is that drugs and other disallowed items are flown into correctional facilities via drones.
I have a patent for "Detection and interdiction of drones with respect to controlled-environment facilities"

Yeah, I get it, don't have a problem with that, it just caught be by surprise because I live in a big city near 2 airports with all sort of overlapping restrictions. So never saw it on the map during my per-flight check at home because it fallowed the outline of the building in plan view mixed in with hundreds of other buildings on a city grid.

Irronclty, I just saw something on the news a while back people still trying to sneak in drugs via a drones drop into prison yards. I don't know what they are thinking. Police can take it down if they want, easily detected etc.

Just have to throw in my 2 cents here: I think people like these are just activists looking do be obnoxious and bait their prey. I consider them total D-Bags. The girl with her stilts comment, the guy with his 'I record cops' shirt, flying the drone that low and just waiting to be confronted. The comment: we are here to hold the accountable...for what??
People like this only bring negative publicity to the hobby and are very unwelcome as far as I am concerned.
The police sergeant was professional (and didn't respond when they tried to say he was mad) and forthcoming with the information as he saw it. He didn't waiver at the 'mistaken bacon' line which is purely a derogatory title.
People like to consider themselves do-gooder etc. and all they really are is trouble makers that would be better off getting a job and contributing positively to society than trying to create discord and make themselves seem important while detracting from what I consider to be a great hobby.
I agree with you that the police officers spoke and acted very professionally despite foolish taunting by some ignorant people. But I am also saying that the underlying substance of the arguments being made by both sides were actually pretty good considering the impromptu setting and disregarding the rude delivery.

The kids threw out arguments based on stilts, Google Earth and no fractionalized air space while the police officer threw out arguments based on wording of CA's unique hybrid trespass/invasion of privacy law.

The irony in the exchange is that the police officer and the kids were arguing the reverse of what you might expect to hear if roles were reversed (police flying around someone's property snooping for suspicious activity with no probable cause and no warrant).

I agree with you that the police officers spoke and acted very professionally despite foolish taunting by some ignorant people. But I am also saying that the underlying substance of the arguments being made by both sides were actually pretty good considering the impromptu setting and disregarding the rude delivery.

The kids threw out arguments based on stilts, Google Earth and no fractionalized air space while the police officer threw out arguments based on wording of CA's unique hybrid trespass/invasion of privacy law.

The irony in the exchange is that the police officer and the kids were arguing the reverse of what you might expect to hear if roles were reversed (police flying around someone's property snooping for suspicious activity with no probable cause and no warrant).
Very good point.

In spite of what I have seen on several different blogs listing 4 city parks good for drones, there are no city parks in Los Angeles that are legal to land or launch from except AMA spots. There's an old law in the books that talks about any type of aircraft. It is legal to fly in Los Angeles, but so few spots to launch from. Of course you can fly over them but I am wondering if anyone knows if launching from the sidewalk is legal? Except for a handful of shopping districts, most sidewalks in LA are completely free of pedestrians. I cant seem to find any law prohibiting it. Anyone know the answer?

If your car is parked legally, and you launch and land on your sunroof of your vehicle, then you are launching and landing from your personal property.

As far as being "in the air", only the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace. Learn about airspace and be aware of the airspace limitations, which are plainly delineated inside the DJI fly app.

If your car is parked legally, and you launch and land on your sunroof of your vehicle, then you are launching and landing from your personal property.

As far as being "in the air", only the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace. Learn about airspace and be aware of the airspace limitations, which are plainly delineated inside the DJI fly app.
The airspace limits in the Fly App rarely coincide with the actual FAA controlled limits. Best way to get in trouble with the FAA is to rely on DJI to keep you out of controlled airspace.

Always check location on B4UFly app.

Was it not LA where someone clipped a powerline and crashed into the side of a building and then the UAS came tumbling down and burst into flames on the sidewalk with people walking all around in the area?

I never heard of this, but it sounds like fun do you have a video? 😂

The airspace limits in the Fly App rarely coincide with the actual FAA controlled limits. Best way to get in trouble with the FAA is to rely on DJI to keep you out of controlled airspace.

Always check location on B4UFly app.

The latest places to fly in the DJI fly app seem to correspond very well with the B4UFly app and also my FAA sectionals for the Los Angeles area.

Also, I am basing this on my brand new DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC, the most recent firmware does seem to be more comprehensive and accurate than some of the previous I saw using the Mini 2.

The police would probably say no regardless of what the law actually says. I would not antagonize them. Don't do this:

I applied these people. Yeah, some constitutional auditors come across as jerks. But they don't have guns and they're simply sticking up for everyone's rights.

You know who I don't applaud? Jerks who are given guns and abuse their authority. There's a big difference.

Where did you get the information about flying from your car? If we take that as true I could theoretically drive into any area that doesn’t allow launching and (assuming it’s OK with the FAA) be able to launch and fly. I’d love to learn that is legally defensible but I can’t imagine that laws that prohibit launching in this or that park or other area can be abrogated by simply flying from the roof of your car.

Last edited:
Where did you get the information about flying from your car? If we take that as true I could theoretically drive into any area that doesn’t allow launching and (assuming it’s OK with the FAA) be able to launch and fly. I’d love to learn that is legally defensible but I can’t imagine that laws that prohibit launching in this or that park or other area can be abrogated by simply flying from the roof of your car.

To be clear I'm not suggesting that this is a way to get around the "flying in a park" rules, and it is otherwise what I refer to as an "untested legal theory". There is at the moment no case law developed around this idea.

Nevertheless the basis is along the lines of an expectation of privacy inside your own property, including your vehicle, assuming the vehicle is parked legally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78