DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it normal for drones to ascend without stick input during forward flight?

TDZHDTV

Reactions
So I never noticed if my past Mavic Air did this. If I hover the Mini remains more of less level in the wind, I’ve noticed while I’ve been practicing figure of 8’s etc. that without left stick up (mode 2) the Mini climbs, it’s amplified going from C to P to S. Normal? Any ideas? I’m on the the newest firmware, it also did it on the previous FW.

when you do your figure of 8s do you just use forwards stick and yaw ,it could be that you are applying a small amount of up with the yaw without even realising it, you can also turn just using the right stick as well try it and see if it still climbs,have fun

Reactions: Skyflyer129
when you do your figure of 8s do you just use forwards stick and yaw ,it could be that you are applying a small amount of up with the yaw without even realising it, you can also turn just using the right stick as well try it and see if it still climbs,have fun
I thought that, so I flew backwards 30 m and then forwards and it definitely climbs. I can also see there’s no stick movement when I review the log.

Reactions: old man mavic
one last thing what height are you at when you are doing these fig of 8s because, it could be the downwards sensors causing it as the ground below undulates, if you hover and put your hand under the drone it will rise up about a foot

Reactions: scooot and WooZie
one last thing what height are you at when you are doing these fig of 8s because, it could be the downwards sensors causing it as the ground below undulates, if you hover and put your hand under the drone it will rise up about a foot
Started at eye height, it’s more pronounced in sport mode, you can see it climbing slightly even at 2m off the ground, I can’t work out why?

maybe for safety, if the speed is increased its possibly to raise the altitude for safety? I ask, i do not affirm

Are you actually seeing it gain altitude or are you going by what the screen says? I've seen the altitude indicator drift, even with my M2. Usually though they read lower than actual for me.

Reactions: WooZie
Are you actually seeing it gain altitude or are you going by what the screen says? I've seen the altitude indicator drift, even with my M2. Usually though they read lower than actual for me.
The altitude value jumps about a bit but it is physically gaining altitude, the slope of change increases from c to s mode. I think I’ll do a full calibration including controller and see if that helps.

The altitude value jumps about a bit but it is physically gaining altitude, the slope of change increases from c to s mode. I think I’ll do a full calibration including controller and see if that helps.

I have noticed the same, especially when flying against the heavy wind, it climbs quite hard in S mode did not notice in C or P mode. I did full blast starting at 5m above the lake and drone finished at 14m in just 50m, it looked like it just took off.

You can see a flat red line in the middle that gets into the slight slope, the mini is so small that a bit stronger wind can do some funny stuff to it.

1575517853976.png

Reactions: TDZHDTV
When you fly a RC helicopter you need to reduce pitch on the main rotors when you transition out of hover to forward (actually any direction) flight, I suspect this is the same for real helicopters. The phenomenon is known as transitional lift. The motion of air over the blades increase the velocity and lift. The same as an aircraft wing giving greater lift with increased speed. It might be that the flight controller in the mini isn’t reducing rotor soeed automatically or by a sufficient amount.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
I think that's what happens, in order to maintain forward speed it lifts. I tried the same with a tailwind and it does not happen. Also when I stopped/slowed down MM descended very rapidly (felt like he is dropping from the sky), you can see that on the screenshot, I was scared it will hit the water, but it didn't. Now it kinda explains why, by slowing down lift was neutralized and it felt down. :)

I think that's what happens, in order to maintain forward speed it lifts. I tried the same with a tailwind and it does not happen. Also when I stopped/slowed down MM descended very rapidly (felt like he is dropping from the sky), you can see that on the screenshot, I was scared it will hit the water, but it didn't. Now it kinda explains why, by slowing down lift was neutralized and it felt down. :)
Thanks for confirmation that your seeing the same behaviour, it’s not a massive issue to me, I just didn’t recall seeing it on the Mavic Air ?

because it is so light weight compared to other mavics forwards or backwards as it gathers speed it is gaining lift from the pitch of the blades and some lift from the body of the drone as well, as With The Birds said transitional lift, perhaps in time the firmware updates will deal with this issue, only good thing about it is ,it is better to be going up at speed, than ploughing into the ground,as some other makes of drone do when being flown at low level,and fast,

Just tested again in 17mph with gusts of 30mph, drone climbs when flying into wind and stays level (well as level as possible) when flying with the wind. I’m more than happy, tested return to home at 30m (22mph / 43mph gusts UAV Forecast) it battled back HP. I’ve been flogging the hell out of this tiny wonder of engineering for the last 2 weeks, I’m done now, I’m so happy with its performance when respecting its limits.

Just tested again in 17mph with gusts of 30mph, drone climbs when flying into wind and stays level (well as level as possible) when flying with the wind. I’m more than happy, tested return to home at 30m (22mph / 43mph gusts UAV Forecast) it battled back HP. I’ve been flogging the hell out of this tiny wonder of engineering for the last 2 weeks, I’m done now, I’m so happy with its performance when respecting its limits.
i think that we all need to remember that this little drone has limitations when compared to the bigger mavics, and to take a different approach to how we fly it ,when we fly it and where we fly it,to me it compliments my MPP,and having the two with me when i fly, gives me more scope to capture images depending on the location and weather at the time

i think that we all need to remember that this little drone has limitations when compared to the bigger mavics, and to take a different approach to how we fly it ,when we fly it and where we fly it,to me it compliments my MPP,and having the two with me when i fly, gives me more scope to capture images depending on the location and weather at the time
I totally agree, I’ve been deliberately harsh with it but now I feel I fully understand it’s limits and limitations, as for its size it’s quite robust.

It’s going to be windy tomorrow, and I know I said I’d finished flogging this little drone in strong winds.... but I have a new toy to test ?

Attachments

• FC7B3F66-E863-43F9-A61C-570DAE8A56AB.jpeg
    FC7B3F66-E863-43F9-A61C-570DAE8A56AB.jpeg
    994.8 KB · Views: 10
It’s going to be windy tomorrow, and I know I said I’d finished flogging this little drone in strong winds.... but I have a new toy to test ?
Unless you are flying the new toy on the Mini itself, all you are measuring is wind on the ground, and wind speed can be very different at 50-100 feet, usually stronger, increasing with elevation.

Unless you are flying the new toy on the Mini itself, all you are measuring is wind on the ground, and wind speed can be very different at 50-100 feet, usually stronger, increasing with elevation.
Correct, I want to benchmark actual ground level wind speed against UAV forecast (assuming the anemometer is reasonably accurate), I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and sometimes there is no mobile signal. Also if it accurate it will give me a feel for what various wind speeds feel like..... just trying to build experience.

Correct, I want to benchmark actual ground level wind speed against UAV forecast (assuming the anemometer is reasonably accurate), I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and sometimes there is no mobile signal. Also if it accurate it will give me a feel for what various wind speeds feel like..... just trying to build experience.
I have a similar portable anemometer, and personally find it useless for helpful information for drone flying. Unless you face it directly into the wind, which is not easy to determine without a separate wind vane, and unless the wind is steady, which it usually isn't, the numbers will fluctuate wildly in any wind gusts. It is better than nothing, but even your own body can block the wind during measurements, as can any nearby trees or bushes or structures. It really won't tell you anything you won't already know subjectively. If you suspend it from something to monitor it while setting up, the device itself will spin around in the wind, preventing you from keeping it pointed into the wind. I thought, as you do, that it would help, but it didn't help much. The real issue isn't wind speed at ground level, which only affects takeoff and landing, but wind speeds at altitude, especially around ridges, which can be significant. Best to take off, and see what the drone does directly above you, ready to kick it into Sport mode if it starts drifting away on its own! You could also carry a small windsock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan