DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is My Mavic Air Kaput?!

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
I had recently sprayed some cleaning solution that I shouldn’t have (😂) into the gimbal of my drone to clean it. Upon turning the drone on the gimbal is completely unresponsive. Gimbal overload error is obviously there. Any idea on how to fix this? Before you answer don’t make any personal attacks or unnecessary bs.

• Wow
Reactions: 4006448
Step 1 is definitely to take out the battery. After that, maybe try taking off soke of the gimbal covers to let it dry out / see if anything is visibly corroded inside? I honestly don't know, just spitballing here.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
I had recently sprayed some cleaning solution that I shouldn’t have (😂) into the gimbal of my drone to clean it. Upon turning the drone on the gimbal is completely unresponsive. Gimbal overload error is obviously there. Any idea on how to fix this? Before you answer don’t make any personal attacks or unnecessary bs.
Try to clean off solution with Q-tips/clean cloth and try some warm air from a hairdryer.

Step 1 is definitely to take out the battery. After that, maybe try taking off soke of the gimbal covers to let it dry out / see if anything is visibly corroded inside? I honestly don't know, just spitballing here.
I did see some orange corrosion on one of the cable things. As you can tell idk much about the insides of these things. It might have supposed to been orange idk. I did spray some rubbin alchohol in there to try and clean it out. Kind of looks like an oil change lol

Attachments

• IMG_3469.jpeg
    IMG_3469.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Always use 91% Alcohol when cleaning the electronics Anything less won't act fast enough too displace the other liquid (as quickly) - As for the orange corrosion on the cable, Is it actually corrosion? Or could it be the paste they use to keep the connector from vibrating off in flight?

Last edited:
I’ll let it dry for another 24 hours before using it again. So far when powered on it’s completely dead.

Have you put a battery on it since you sprayed the cleaner?? what cleaner did you use ( if the residue is conductive I would clean it off and double-check before putting in a battery) After-all they don't make "Smoke Stoppers" for these Drones.

First, what kind/brand of cleaning solution? How long after you sprayed it did you powered on the quad?

Did it have time to dry? If not you may have shorted something. If it dried, the soap/surfactant may be gumming up the mechanics.

I'd remove the battery and sop it down with a dielectric spray electronics cleaner, I like the Deoxit brand of products. They make one with just a cleaning solution, and one (D5) that leaves behind a very thin coating of dielectric lubricant.... your choice. The propellant in both evaporates fairly quickly and you can put the battery back in and test it after about 5 minutes or less.

Please do NOT put oil, wd-40, or anything like that on electronics.

Good luck

Have you put a battery on it since you sprayed the cleaner?? what cleaner did you use ( if the residue is conductive I would clean it off and double-check before putting in a battery) After-all they don't make "Smoke Stoppers" for these Drones.
It was a type of lense cleaner.
First, what kind/brand of cleaning solution? How long after you sprayed it did you powered on the quad?

Did it have time to dry? If not you may have shorted something. If it dried, the soap/surfactant may be gumming up the mechanics.

I'd remove the battery and sop it down with a dielectric spray electronics cleaner, I like the Deoxit brand of products. They make one with just a cleaning solution, and one (D5) that leaves behind a very thin coating of dielectric lubricant.... your choice. The propellant in both evaporates fairly quickly and you can put the battery back in and test it after about 5 minutes or less.

Please do NOT put oil, wd-40, or anything like that on electronics.

Good luck
there is some type of liquid stuck inside of it because there is liquid drops inside the camera. I set it outside to dry. I doubt that moisture is the rubbing alchohol so it is probably the cleaner that I used. I think the cleaner was mostly water.

I don’t know anything about electronics so I could be completely wrong. I turned on the drone and all of the lights and motors work and the gimbal gives a live video feet but the gimbal motors are completely dead. I’m still gonna let it dry some more and I’ll update later.

Reactions: MA2 317
I don’t know anything about electronics
1. Never spray anything on electronics that is not dielectric (non-conductive)

2. Never power on anything electronic that is wet

Now it kinda sounds like the soap in your 'mostly-water' cleaning solution has dried and is gumming up the delicate mechanics of your gimbal.

When the drone is turned on I can move the gimbal and don’t feel any resistance of something being jammed or the motors trying to move. Idk how I will fix this.

When the drone is turned on I can move the gimbal and don’t feel any resistance of something being jammed or the motors trying to move. Idk how I will fix this.
You shouldn't be moving the gimbal by hand with the drone turned on anyway. Sorry but I don't know how you're going to fix it either

So the liquid is inside the actual camera itself like behind the lens? If so you can try and put it somewhere humidity free for awhile (A bowl of rice covered overnight can sometimes work well), If it leaves behind visible residue I would think the easiest solution would be to replace the camera. ALSO I forgot to mention you can also buy Solder Flux cleaner to clean your boards it works a little better but it cost more.

Last edited:
Yes, you can see bubbles behind the camera. I’m assuming that means liquid is behind in the motors. Idk if it’s the alchohol I used or the water.

The camera itself( as far as electronics goes) is kinda separate from the motors, but ya probably,
Try and dry it all out as best as possible and you will need to pretty much get most if the plastic off and clean the boards underneath because most likely your cleaner made it to the internals. and you really don't want to plug the battery in with residue on your boards. IF it all works, after you do all this and you see residue the residue on the screen, I suppose you could try to disassemble the camera to clean the lens BUT --Darn. Good Luck!! I would rather get a new Camera.

The camera itself( as far as electronics goes) is kinda separate from the motors, but ya probably,
Try and dry it all out as best as possible and you will need to pretty much get most if the plastic off and clean the boards underneath because most likely your cleaner made it to the internals. and you really don't want to plug the battery in with residue on your boards. IF it all works, after you do all this and you see residue the residue on the screen, I suppose you could try to disassemble the camera to clean the lens BUT --Darn. Good Luck!! I would rather get a new Camera.
I have a trip coming up soon in a week, I was hoping to get it flying again. I’ll go for it and see what happens.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1